Milk and Splenda

triaxle
on 7/12/09 11:23 pm
Hello - this is my first post.  I had gastric bypass on July 1, 2009.  So I am almost 2 weeks post op.  I struggle daily to get enough protein in and it frustrates me because I know how important it is.  My physician's office ok'd Ensure (1 cup in each bottle) mixed equally with 1 cup skim milk to up my protein.  The vanilla and berry were HORRIBLE so I added some Splenda.  Didn't take long before I was losing it all with diarrhea.  I don't know if it was the milk or the Splenda.  This morning I tried 1 cup skim milk and 1 envelope of Carnation Chocolate No Sugar added.  So far so good it's been about an hour and I'm still here browsing the web.   Does anyone have any advice on getting more protein.  This Thurs I should be able to start eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. so I'm very excited about that.  Thanks for all of your help!
PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/13/09 2:56 pm - TX
Everyone talks about how it's tough (if not impossible) to get all the protein in the first few weeks after surgery.  It'll get easier as you add more food.  Unflavored protein is a good option because you can add it to anything.   It sounds like you're off to a great start.

KristeMitchell
on 7/14/09 12:49 am
Try a can of Pure Protein and a bottle of Isopure.  I nurse those all day and it gives my 75 grams.  A bit expensive at first, but until I can eat real food, it's worth it to me.  Good luck on your surgery!!! You are going to do awesome!

triaxle
on 7/13/09 11:55 pm
Thanks so much for your encouragement.  I'm putting unflavored Unjury in my crystal light and chicken and/or beef broths and am hopeful that it will help.  Two more days (Thursday) and I can start pureed foods YIPPEE!   Have a great day:)
KristeMitchell
on 7/14/09 12:47 am
Maybe you should try a protein powder?  I had surgery on the 10th.  I have been doing 1 can of Pure Protein and 1 bottle of Isopure.  They are both a bit expensive (Pure Protei*****nd Isopure 3.79) but right off the bat it has been the easiest way for me to get it all in.  If cost is an issue try the Vanilla Body Fortress brand at Walmart.  Mix it with skim milk. It's pretty good and 1 scoop has 26 grams of protein.  They also have a Protein Shot at walmart for 1.97 and it is 26 grams too and it is a Fruit Punch flavor.  Good luck!

triaxle
on 7/15/09 1:23 am
Thanks for all the wonderful tips - I wrote everything down so when I go shopping on Friday I can take a look.  Have a great day!
AshleyDillo
on 7/15/09 2:29 am - Tallahassee, FL

My surgeon said Ensure had way too much sugar in it and by adding milk you're also adding lactose which is milk sugar.  I'm not surprised you ended up with diarrhea from that!

As everyone else suggested, protein shakes are going to be your best best until you can move onto food.  If you have a GNC they will let you return open packages of protein powder if you end up not liking them..just save the receipts.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

triaxle
on 7/15/09 10:40 pm
Thanks so much that makes sense.  I went back to the skim milk and carnation (although I hate it) and had no problems.  Today!  I move to pureed I can't wait to eat an egg for breakfast:)

Have a great day.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!