Good News: Lost 21 lbs. pre-op, Bad News: Surgery delayed.

Laura_Illinois
on 7/9/09 11:25 am - Morris, IL
Today was my surgery date for a long-limb gastric by-pass. A three hour open surgery.

I arrived to my hospital in down-town Chicago at 5:45 a.m. and was admitted for surgery prep.

I weighed in 21 lbs. lighter due to my 2-week pre-op diet. Wow! I was not expecting a loss like that. I was so happy!

The bad news: After putting on my hospital gown,  slipper socks, and hair net, I was IV'd up, peed in a cup, blood drawn, vitals taken and waiting to be knocked out. I was told my surgery would have to be delayed at least 2 weeks!!!! AARRGGHH!!!!

Apparently, my blood was too thin even though I had followed my surgeons instructions to stop my coumadin 5 days before surgery. It is a 3 hour open operation so I do want to be careful too, but I had made arrangements for my dog, cat and parrot to be baby sat by 3 different sitters, prepared my house for post-surgery. I even had 2 new toilets installed.

So because my surgeon is scheduled to take vacation next week, I will have to wait another 2-3 weeks before surgery. All my hard core pre-op dieting for the operation was put on hold. Now I have to restart it in a week. I am supposed to go back to a regular diet diet for now.

What a Bummer!
collinsne
on 7/9/09 12:18 pm - Barre, VT

Laura,  I'm sorry to hear that you were so close and had it delayed.  Hopefully next time they will check your blood work before surgery day. 
But with the next pre-op diet you could be another 10-20 lbs down before the surgery, which should definitely help with your recovery.  Just do go hog wild with last suppers in the meantime.

Nancy

Carolyn H.
on 7/9/09 12:47 pm
Laura,

I'm so sorry for your disappointment. I'd feel bummed too if I were in your shoes.

Hopefully the next two weeks will fly by.

Wishing you all the best,

Carolyn
Have a great day!                        
PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/9/09 12:48 pm, edited 7/9/09 1:19 pm - TX
Sorry about the delay.  It's an unfortunate let down.  I would be so upset.  You certainly want to have surgery under the best conditions.  You can make it two more weeks and we'll be cheering you on!

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/09 1:01 pm
What a big let-down!  So sorry for the delay.  2 weeks will fly by quick hopefully.  Congratulations on the 21lbs. Wow!!!
luanne711
on 7/10/09 3:18 am - Bradford, PA
Oh Laura, that is my biggest fear/concern that I have and I told the doctor yesterday that I'm so afraid to get too excited, just for that reason.   But you're right, your health and well being is the most important.   He seemed to think, that based on my current medical information, I should be OK, but I'm still not gonna get too excited.  I'll get prepared, but I'm also letting folks know that things could change at the last minute and this is just a prime example of that.  Your experience just reminds me to take it one day at a time.  It'll be here soon enough (although I wish I would have done it 3 years ago -LOL) .

My surgery is scheduled for July 22nd and I'm doing the Carnation IB regime for 2 weeks prior. 

Good luck to you Laura.  So what is the official date for you now?

Hang in there.

Luanne
Laura_Illinois
on 7/10/09 5:24 am - Morris, IL
Thanks everyone for your support,

I do not have a new surgery date yet. My surgeon called this morning and said he is going on a scheduled vacation for 10 days and that he didn't think he'd be able to fit me in until the beginning of August.

He will call at the beginning of next week with my new surgery date.

So for now it's back to a regular weight loss routine with regular healthy food. I'm going to treat myself to some corn on the cob with diet butter, grilled salmon and home made diet blueberry cobbler with splenda brown sugar. It will be like heaven compared to the two weeks of low fat cottage cheese, sugar free yogurt and skim milk that I was eating.

The thing that bugs me the most about not being able to have surgery until August is that I had been planning since last November 2008 to have my surgery this summer so I would have time to recuperate before I start my sophomore year of college (Yes, I am a 50 year old college student). School starts on August 24th and I won't have much time to recuperate from my open surgery.
n2deep
on 7/10/09 11:11 pm - XX
hang in there....its for the best

Be the CHANGE in the world...that you want to see 

Mahatma Ghandi

Laura_Illinois
on 7/10/09 11:40 pm - Morris, IL
Thanks, I know you're right. Just one of life's many bumps in the road.
Lisaslovinghands
on 7/12/09 5:08 am - Greenville, NC
 Sorry, I know it was a big let down for you.However; there is a bright side to this. By the time you have surgery you just might be 50lb lighter.
Lisaslovinghands     
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!