15th July ... Yippee ... anyone know of any UK forums?

poohwho1971
on 7/9/09 4:53 am - United Kingdom
I've got a date of 15th July, and patiently counting the days.

I would say that I have been waiting 11 months for this, but the reality is, it's something that has been needed for about 25 years  However, it will be the beginning of a whole new phase in my life, so bizzarely I am looking forward to it.

If I never ever drink any milk again it will be too soon! In the UK the pre-op diet is 4 pints of semi-skimmed milk, jelly, and a cup of bovril ... I hate the latter two (don't like the milk that much) however, have stuck to it 100% even having been in attendance at a BBQ with my pint of milk! LOL

As much as I am sure I will get loads of great tips here from you guys, does anyone know of any UK forums?
cheroity
on 7/9/09 11:46 am - granite city, IL
I dont know of a UK forum but we share the same date goodluck , I wish u all the best..
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/09 1:14 pm
Hi Pooh, Congratulations on your date and welcome to the board.  I don't know of a UK board but hope you stick around here!  I have lots of family in the UK!
poohwho1971
on 7/10/09 5:59 am - United Kingdom
Thanks ... I will be sticking around - I've found some really helpful stuff here.

KitutheDiva
on 7/10/09 2:44 am
Congratulations!!!! Welcome and good luck.
Laura_Illinois
on 7/10/09 7:44 am - Morris, IL
Welcome UK!!! I've been on a mostly milk based pre-op diet too. Mine consisted of 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese per serving, 1 Cup skim milk or 1 Sugar free low fat yogurt. I was allowed 2 servings of sugar free pudding a day.

I lost 21.5 lbs. in two weeks though, so that was great. Keep your eyes on the prize and not the pint of milk. (Easier said than done.) Good Luck!

What is bovril?
poohwho1971
on 7/10/09 7:54 pm - United Kingdom
Wow! 21.5 lbs - fantastic! I can feel a looseness of my clothes, so I am hoping there has been some drastic loss as well. It would make all that milk worth it!

I have to say I am surprised that I am not hungry, but then I guess I have also been so busy at work that I don't have time to think about food then. It is hardest when I have to go shopping for my mother (I am her carer) - that takes a bit of will power, however, like you say, I am keeping my eyes on the prize. If I cannot do this for 2 weeks how am I going to cope forever?

It's almost like I am in a mindset where I have convinced myself that I am not hungry. Hopefully I can maintain that until surgery date, and then it should be easier because although amounts are restricted, at least there is choice!

Bovril is like a yeasty hot drink - a bit like marmite - do you have that in the US?

Your surgery date says 9th July ... did you have it? did it all go to plan? How do you feel?
Laura_Illinois
on 7/10/09 11:30 pm - Morris, IL
Hi poohwho1971:

Yes, the 21.5 lb. weight loss in 2 weeks was a big surprise to me. I've never done anything like that before and I didn't find out until I went in for my surgery on July 9th. I don't have a scale at home that weighs me accurately.

Well, I was supposed to have my surgery on July 9th.  However, it had to be delayed because my blood was too thin.

I take blood thinners (coumadin/warfarin) for a blood clotting disorder I have. My surgeon told me to stop taking them 5 days before surgery, which I did. But I still was not at the "safe level" to have a 3 hour open surgery. The thought of that happening never even entered my mind.

I showed up for surgery, I put on my gown and cap, had my IV put in, my vitals taken, blood drawn, I peed in a cup, and was waiting on the gurney to be knocked out for my procedure. Then the surgeon very apologetically told me that my blood levels were not where they wanted them to perform the surgery safely and I would have to wait 2-3 weeks to have my operation.

The head surgeon was going on a scheduled vacation and would not be returning until July 28th. So now I have to go back on my coumadin then off of it again for 7 days this time. The surgeon is going to watch it very closely before I come back in and make sure it is at the correct level before I come in for surgery the next day.

I had worked so hard staying on my pre-op diet, I had plumbers come in and fix some old plumbing problems, I had 2 new toilets installed, I had my dog, cat and parrot at their prospective sitters. I had my post-op groceries (if you can call them that) stocked up. But Noooo! Surgery will be rescheduled for the beginning of August. It was disappointing, but I do want to be careful too. I don't want to take any more risks than I already am.

So they told me to go back on a "normal diet" diet and just do the pre-op diet for one week before surgery. I hoping my surgery will be the first week of August.

Regarding Bovril, no I've never heard about it in the US. We don't use marmite either. (That's what they eat in Australia isn't it?) What is the nutritional value of using Bovril? The US is so behind many other countries of the world when it comes to its medical health program.

Where do you live in the UK?

Laura in Illinois (60 miles southwest of Chicago)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views