Plateaus

mtrmthxx
on 9/21/07 4:19 pm
I had surgery on 7/18 and so far I have lost 30lbs. I was STUCK at 28lbs for 4 weeks, and wanted to throw the scale out of the window. I have lost 54inches and my clothes are all loose, but I am getting very frustrated at the plateau so early on. I don't think I was eating enough or getting enough calories, so I have tried to eat more (which is hard since I am never hungry). Has this happened to any of you and if so what did you do to 'jump start' the weight loss again? My Dr. told me to try to eat more as my body thinks it is starving and is holding on to the weight. I never thought I would say this, but since I am never hungry, food almost repulses me and nothing sounds good. Any ideas???
sallyone
on 9/21/07 10:28 pm - DIberville, MS
I started a plateau at week #2 after surgery... talk about disheartening... Even though the scale isnt moving you will be loosing inches... so watch out for your clothes falling off of you... LOL My doctor said your weightloss will be a stair step kinda thing... you will loose a bunch... then stay the same ... then loose some more... then stay the same... just like a stair. It is very normal. I also figured that I wasnt eatting enough... and tried to add some more food.. but since I am never hungry also... it was very hard. You are doing great.... keep up the good work
Leslie S.
on 9/21/07 11:18 pm
Hello! I also had my RNY on July 18th!!! I too was stuck at a plateau 2 WEEKS after surgery. My plateau lasted almost 2 weeks. I was furious. I thought that I had went through all of this and I wasn't even going to lose more than 20 pounds. After the plateau was over I started losing again. Are you exercising?? Maybe you should try to step up a notch on that. Anyway, good luck! Congrats on losing 30 pounds!!! Leslie
H A.
on 9/22/07 1:15 am - NOR CAL, CA
Yep, I hit the plateau too. I expect more. Exercise, water, protein, journal your calories.
Monica P.
on 9/24/07 8:10 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
I had surgery on 7/19 and have lost 36 pounds. I stalled at around 26 pounds for almost 2 weeks. It was very frustrating. However, it was also reassuring to learn that this happens to everyone at some point. I too have a difficult time havig an appetite to eat. I consider it freedom from food, at last! When I eat now I think of it as giving my body fuel to burn this fat off me. It's true what I've head others say: We eat to live, not live to eat. I've been keeping track of my weight loss since surgery, I noticed a pattern. I tend to not lose very much weight just before and during my period. So I'm looking forward to losing more weight next week *fingers crossed* Keep following your surgeon's instructions. Get your protein, water and vitamins....the weight will come off.
ckocher
on 9/25/07 1:10 am - Sacramento, CA
I found this article entitled "Those Darn Plateaus" on obesityhelp.com .... http://obesityhelp.com/forums/nutrition/cmsID,9464/mode,content/ I hope it's helpful to you
mtrmthxx
on 9/27/07 5:44 pm
Hi Charity; I wanted to thank you for sending me the link to this website. It really helped because it said that you are not at a plateau if you are losing pounds OR inches. Since I have been losing inches, it really made me feel better. Thanks! Caryl
natalie7
on 9/27/07 8:41 am - TX
I am so-o-o-o-o-o glad to read this post! I had my surgery 7/23, lost 31 pounds and then nothing for the past 2.5 weeks! I was beginning to think my weight loss was over! I feel like I am the only person that is not going to lose weight with this surgery! I understand how you feel about eating. I also do not have much of an appetite and have to remind myself to eat - this is kind of scarey. I am trying to switch over to the high protein diet but I'm not real fond of meat. I really need to work on that. Has anyone heard that one way to get past plateaus is by supplementing w/ protein shakes? I just started back to work and this has really thrown me! I am still struggling to get in 8 glasses of water and have no idea how many grams of protein I am getting. The thought that I may need to actually eat more seems somewhat humorous!
mtrmthxx
on 9/27/07 5:28 pm
Hi Natalie; This message board and the wonderful people that replied to me really helped! I started a food journal, and saw that I was not consuming enough protein or calories in a day. I really had to force myself to eat more often , as my Dr told me that the best way to get my metabolism moving was to eat something within a hour of getting up in the morning (which I wasn't doing), and then to have something every three hours or so to keep the level up. I too, felt that I was the only person that wouldn't be able to lose weight after surgery even though I was eating very little and I used to be able to 'gobble' large meals and still find room for dessert. I am happy to report that I went to the DR yesterday and I lost 6 lbs. It is easy to see how many grams of protein you are getting. Almost all food packaging has this info on it, just keep track and you can always add a protein drink if you need more. I have found that the powdered drink that you mix with milk tastes the best ( I buy mine at Super Supplements). The premixed ones in a can are too sweet and have an aftertaste. I used to love beef, and now I can barely stand the smell. You don't have to eat meat for the protein. Taco Bell Pintos and cheese and Wendy's Chili are both a good source of protein and you can get the calorie and proten count at their websites. Please keep me posted on your weight loss! Don't forget to measure yourself so you can see the inches dissapear. Caryl
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views