Any one drinking wine?

colombo126
on 9/19/07 7:34 am
Hi All, I was just wondering if any one has tried wine or alcohol since their surgery? I went to a wedding on Saturday and I really wanted to just sip a glass of wine but was so afraid. My surgeon said today that it was okay to drink wine in small amounts-to jus****ch out for getting drunk really quickly. Any thoughts?
jeezaleo
on 9/19/07 8:25 am - 11225, NY
Lap Band on 07/26/07 with
I will admit I have had alcohol a couple of times since surgery. actually the 2nd week out (i know i know, but i made sure it wasnt carbonated) I have had wine since about 2 times in the last 2 weeks. I have one drink and then i have water next to me to stay hydrated. Wine is the healthiest choice if we're going to drink. Just remember sip slowly and limit yourself to about 2 glasses, no more, lol;)
H A.
on 9/19/07 11:07 am - NOR CAL, CA
I've been scared to even try. I think I'll try and wait a while longer.
Linda_S
on 9/19/07 11:30 am - Eugene, OR
I was told no alcohol for a year. I suppose you should follow whatever your doc says. I can't say that it's all that tempting for me. I like wine, but don't need to have it. Linda
sallyone
on 9/19/07 5:07 pm - DIberville, MS
I havent tried it so far... I heard that we would be drunk really really fast. LOL Hubby thinks it would be funny... LOL NOT ME
Jean M. B.
on 9/19/07 11:47 pm - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Claudia! I am SCARED to drink any alcohol...and, I really enjoy a marguirita or a glass of wine! But, there is alcoholism in my family and I've been cautious anyway because we know it can run in families. I drink very little and rarely even get a buzz. But that's OK, because that's not what I'm looking for. I don't mean to sound judgemental, if I do. Also, someone close to me had WLS nearly 2 years ago and developed an addiction. She had lots of stuff going on in her life that wasn't pleasant and a family history of dependence but I really believe that she has this problem because of how quickly alcohol affected her after WLS. She has had a relapse and is at risk of loosing her kids, bf, job and home. We are trying to help as much as possible but alcohol dependence has a strong hold on her. I pray she can beat this monster. Sorry for going on so long..... Jean
freespirit01
on 9/22/07 12:13 am - Maumee, OH
HI!! I also have been wondering about wine or alcohol. I am not a big drinker but I do have a girls night out every 6 weeks or so. We went out last week and I was the "DD". That was okay, but not the same. Why is wine better for us?? What about a gin and tonic or something like that? I have never been a wine drinker. I know that we cannot have carbonation. Is liquor higher in sugar than wine? Just curious!
MiniMimi
on 9/22/07 1:40 am - Houston, TX
I would not drink gin and tonic. Tonic is basically a soda. It is very high in sugar as well as being carbonated, which may cause you to dump. Wine has heart benefits and tends to be sipped, which is why I think they recommend it. You might try a martini or something that is sipped and doesn't contain much sugar or carbonation. ( I would think a cosmopolitan would be okay as it only contains a tiny bit of cranberry juice and a lemon twist and lots of vodka. I would not drink the whole thing though. Too much alcohol. Just my opinion) I have had about 1/3 of a glass on wine since my surgery. I found that the taste just wasn't as appealing as it was before surgery. It did not make me sick, but it went to my head quite quickly. Best of luck.
yellow_dog_10
on 9/22/07 6:33 am
Yes. First time I felt ill (tired) but now it's fine. I have a glass of wine before dinner on occaision.
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views