why?

dnw0523
on 9/11/07 11:04 pm - kensington, Canada
Hi everyone, I was happy to find this forum.I had my RNY on July 17/07.I am addicted to my scale.I don't want to be,I just can't help myself.I've spent my whole life revolving around the scales.Ever since the surgery I expected to see the scale moving downward steadily.Isn't that the plan? I am just wondering what other peoples losing pattern is.From day one,I find one week I will lose 4-5 pounds and than my scale won't move for up to 2 weeks!Is that not strange this early on? I am sooo scared that I am doing something wrong.I don't want to waste my "honeymoon" period.I am exercising regularly and eating less than 1000 cal per day.I know everyone is different but I do expect that there should be a little bit of predictability in this process.Any advice or words of wisdom? Cheers, Donna
H A.
on 9/11/07 11:26 pm - NOR CAL, CA
Very common. You can read back posts and find we were all frustrated by the same issue. How many calories does you nutritionist tell you to eat? I eat any where from 500-600 cal/day. I only need one protein drink a day because I'm getting enough protein through all the tuna, salmon and chicken I eat.
sallyone
on 9/12/07 12:36 am - DIberville, MS
I have complained about this too... LOL My doctor said it is all gonna be a stair step kinda thing. Drop a bit of weight... then you will level off for a bit... then you will drop again. Dont worry you are very normal.
bfd-234most
on 9/12/07 1:02 am - Ellerbe, NC
Finally, someone I can relate to has come forward. I had my surgery on July 9th of this year and I lost more in the first two weeks. Since then, my scales have not moved. However, I know I am not overeating. I too have had questions about what I could be doing wrong. I have been informed by the professionals that plateaus are normal. I sure wish the scale would go down. I have stopped getting on it because I cannot stand the disappointment. I know my clothes are baggy and I feel lighter, so fooey with the scales.
Jean M. B.
on 9/12/07 11:32 pm - St. Cloud, MN
Good for you, Beverly! I think you are doing just the right thing by getting away from the scale. Especially, if it bums you out! Keep in mind that if the scale isn't going down, the inches are! Have you taken your measurements yet? I didn't right away but believe me...it helps to see those numbers go down! Take care, Jean
Linda_S
on 9/13/07 3:28 am - Eugene, OR
QUOTE: Ever since the surgery I expected to see the scale moving downward steadily.Isn't that the plan? No hon, that's not the plan. Your body needs time to adjust to fewer calories. You are losing as you should. You'll have a spurt of several pounds, then nothing for a while. It's fine to weigh yourself every day if you're not going to let it upset you. If you're going to get upset about it, put the scale away!! There is predictability in the process. It is that the scale will consistently head downward, with a bunch of stalls along the way. You'll be fine! You're doing a great job. Linda
KarenLynne
on 9/18/07 1:39 am - Camden, OH
I had my lap RNY on July 25th. I lost down to 274, now up to 279. ( started out at 301 the day of surgery) I have been stuck at 279 for 7 days! I have been walking more (one mile a day fast walk) and eating right. I am now getting more of my water and protein in. But I too can NOT understand why the weight goes UP and sticks! All I can figure is that it is fluid retention. I do know my bra, pants and shoes fit bigger. You are not the only one wondering why! Hugs, Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views