Scale *****

Monica P.
on 9/4/07 3:27 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
Yes, that's me. I'm a 'scale *****'. During my time off from work while recovering from surgery I was weighing myself 5-6 times a day MINIMUM. I'd pee, then I'd get on the scale. I'd go downstairs to get the mail, and I'd weigh myself afterwards. You get the idea.... When the scale didn't move as much as I thought it should, I'd beat myself up. When I came back to work, I was annoyed that I would not be able to weigh myself as much as I wanted. (That was the first sign I had a problem) So after talking to a friend of mine (who is also a professional life coach). We devised a plan to break me of this overly critical behavior. I'll bring my scale to work and leave it in the care of my co-worker and will weigh myself ONCE a week. (The details are in my profile) I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing something like this, how about all of you?
H A.
on 9/4/07 3:54 am - NOR CAL, CA
I weight every day maybe twice if I've worked out. I don't know that I could only weight once a day. I've always weighted my self everyday. Even before surgery. Heidi
Monica P.
on 9/4/07 4:13 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
For me, it has become a negative thing. I get frustrated/sad/angry/irritated when I'm not happy with the number. The few moments I spend on the scale have an affect on the rest of my day. Not good. I'm changing the frequency of my weigh-ins so that I stop beating myself up. I figure that the change in my weight over one week is going to be the same no matter how many times I weigh myself.
H A.
on 9/4/07 5:18 am - NOR CAL, CA
Your right. You'll feel better because you see a bigger jump at the end of a week vs a daily/hourly change.
Linda_S
on 9/4/07 6:36 am - Eugene, OR
Oh dear! You need to use the scale as just a tool and not let it affect you, or just put the damn thing away! I weigh once a day (well, at the most twice). If I have to pee right after I've weighed myself first thing in the morning, I'll weigh again after I pee. Always good for a .2 to .6 loss! You'll weigh the least first thing in the morning, so don't set yourself up for 'failure' by weighing later in the day. Linda
MsGriff07
on 9/4/07 1:08 pm - Philadelphia, PA
OMG Monica I was doing the same thing ....Imagine that from a girl who never owned a scale until this year it was becoming obsessive especially during the stall ...I had to wean myself from it Now it's once in the A.M. and once in the P.M. and some days I won't do it just to see if I can go without a daily weigh-in. I refuse to become obsessive with a scale after being obsessed with food for so long...I rather go to the gym and walk it outor dance it out.....
sallyone
on 9/4/07 4:12 pm - DIberville, MS
I weigh my self everyday... Actually I weigh as soon as i get up.. if I have to go potty again I will weigh again. I also weight right before bed... so I can see what I think it might be in the morning... LOL I do write my weight down everyday... BUT Tuesdays is my Official weigh in day... LOL
iluvnyy2
on 9/4/07 9:16 pm - Monmouth Junction, NJ
i was weighing everyday. sometimes more then once a day, then i hit my stall. during the stall i managed to go a few days between weigh-ins (i was getting really upset that the scale wasn't moving). Now I am back to weighing about once a day. Although, I went away for labor day weekend and didn't weigh in for 3 days!!! I think part of it is everyone always asks me how much weight have you lost. I want to be as current as possible so I can report the biggest loss possible. But I too am trying to break the habit. I even moved the scale under some things so I couldn't just "hop on" but now that the scale is my friend again it's right back out in the open.
Andi190827
on 9/6/07 5:55 pm - Fort Leavenworth, KS
"I weigh my self everyday... Actually I weigh as soon as i get up.. if I have to go potty again I will weigh again. I also weight right before bed... so I can see what I think it might be in the morning... LOL" Ditto this from Susan, word for word. I think you are being very smart. If it effects your mood for the rest of the day, putting that scale away is a great thing to do! Andi
Jean M. B.
on 9/6/07 10:39 pm - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Monica! I read somewhere that people who weigh daily loose more than those who don't. However, that was for dieters not WLS graduates. So, take it for what it's worth. I agree with those who say put it away or weigh weekly, if the numbers upset you. There is bound to be some ups and downs, depending upon hormones, periods, water intake, salt intake, etc. etc. Try to keep that in mind when you do weigh. So, you don't give the numbers on the scale power over your moods! Just my 2cents... Take care, Jean
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views