Is anyone else having trouble getting enough..?

mslenamaria
on 8/13/07 8:21 am - Whittier, CA
I am 3 weeks post op this Wed. I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble consuming enough food/liquid. Yesterday I had four oz of yogurt in the morning and one ounce of sf pudding at 10pm. Getting about 32 oz of water. Is that okay? How can we live on so little food?
jessica0378
on 8/13/07 9:08 am - Red Lion, PA
My NUT said that At this point, 46oz of water is the goal. You can also count SF Jello, SF popsicles and protain shakes towards your "fluid intake". I can eat about 5 popsicles in a row, and it's a refreshing change to the same old water bottle, lol. I've done yogurt a few times for breakfast, but can'e handle applesauce or pudding. Maybe a little too thick? Didn't get sick, just felt like it was sitting in my pouch!
Andi190827
on 8/13/07 12:40 pm - Fort Leavenworth, KS
"Getting about 32 oz of water. Is that okay?" I'd say no. My NUT would be screaming at you NO!!! I was told the first 3 weeks 48oz minimum per day. After that 64oz. Even lacking just a few days can get you dehydrated fast! If you have to suck on ice or SF popicles, etc. You need the fluids or you'll end up in the hospital. My program is different as they don't want us to do protein shakes, but they also don't expect us to do 60g of protein right away either. They want me to do 3 meals, no snaking. By Week 2 up to 30g a day. By week 4, 45g a day and by week 6, 60g a day. Since there is about 7g of protein in 1 oz of most meats, I'm glad they didn't expect the impossible (eating 3oz at each meal) from the get go. I'm just over 5 weeks out now and am almost able to do the 60g of protein a day. It gets slowly easier to get in more oz everyday. You need to force yourself to eat. I know I do. If you don't eat, your body will go into serious starvation mode and hold on to everything it can. The first few weeks after surgery Water is the #1 thing to worry about. But after a couple of weeks you need to start getting in as much protein as you can. Protein is one thing your body can't duplicate, so your body will use what protein it has (ie muscles, including your heart) to brake down protein for energy. But if you are getting in a enough protein, your body will use fat to burn for energy. Do you have a NUT to talk to? Did your surgeon give you a plan? Hope this helped some, and keep drinking tha****er! Andi
H A.
on 8/14/07 12:48 am - NOR CAL, CA
I noticed that the weight comes off faster when I get all my water and protein in. I have to make an effort to be drinking something almost all day long to get it all in. Of course this is not a scientific study Heidi
Monica P.
on 8/14/07 2:42 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
I notice the same thing...I'm ok getting in all the water but protein is still a chore for me
H A.
on 8/15/07 12:09 am - NOR CAL, CA
If I start out the day making sure everything I drink has some protein in it then I do ok. Favs are Nectar Fuzzy Navel because it tastes like Tang if I mix it with some crystal light.
colombo126
on 8/14/07 5:29 am
Its a lot easier for me if I just drink. Once I start eating and waiting there doesn't seem to be enough time. I am going to start writing evrything down. I know the protein is sooo important or else your body will take from the muscle. We don't need that. My surgery was 3 weeks on Monday. Good Luck!!
MsGriff07
on 8/14/07 7:18 am - Philadelphia, PA
I think writing everything down is a good idea i just started that today I am supposed to drink 64 oz per day and have 70 gr of protein per day.... I went to my 6 week check-up yesterday and my Dr said it's normal not to want to eat(temporary) that you should take advantage of this 6 month window of rapid weight loss.....she said don't worry about the fact that you don't want to eat BUT you NEED to sip sip sip no matter what and the protein thing is not an option .....I just started regular foods and my nutritionist gave me a lot of suggestions even though i'm still not too hungry ....and showed me some more protein drinks and bars(Yeech) it's still trial and error for me with these PS I don't like them spent googobs of $$$ on them and still cannot find something tasty yesterday I bought some ready made Profect 2.9 oz and 25 gr of protein havent tried yet but will drink one later tonight maybe at the gym....
mslenamaria
on 8/14/07 8:15 am - Whittier, CA
Still wondering how in the world we can live on so little.? everyone seems to say that dehydration is a problem. . what are the signs of early dehydration?
MsGriff07
on 8/15/07 3:52 am - Philadelphia, PA
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000982.htm Here are your symptoms of dehydration hope it helps Carla
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views