Well.. it ALMOST happened...

Dreamskape
on 8/7/07 12:09 am - Elkhart, IN
Last night I sat down to a dinner of baked beans and leftover roast beef.. Took a few bits.. (maybe 4 or 5) and all of a sudden I get these intermittent sharp pains (alot like bad gas pains) in my upper abdomen. At first I think I have just swallowed too fast, and if I give it time it will go away..... but it doesn't stop.. It just keeps going and my mouth starts salivating and I just don't feel right. I don't know what happened there.. (maybe the beef was too dry?) ... but since my surgery that is the closest I have every come to vomiting and I do NOT want to go down that road again.. I hate vomiting and I will fight the urge as much as I can.. Maybe it would of been better had I vomited last night... I probably would of felt better. ;(
sallyone
on 8/7/07 12:24 am - DIberville, MS
How are you feeling now?? Did it pass? Could it be the sugar in the baked beans? Check in...
Dreamskape
on 8/7/07 12:29 am - Elkhart, IN
I am fine now thanks.. I don't think it was the baked beans because I had them the night before along with the Roast Beef.. But the night before the Roast Beef was more juicy as it was fresh out of the oven... and last night it was a bit drier. I think it was just a bit too dry.. and I've heard others say they have had trouble with dry meat. Not fun. ;(
emmier
on 8/7/07 2:49 am - MA
Hi, Sounds like the meat may have been to big and got stuck?
Jupiter6
on 8/7/07 8:39 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
At 7 weeks out, we're still in a soft foods phase-- and roast beef really is a sinewy, hard food to digest. Maybe puree it with some of its juice next time?
jessica0378
on 8/9/07 9:31 am - Red Lion, PA
We're you eating with your family or by yourself? I found this to happen like 4 times, and each time I was eating with others. I started getting hot, felt like I had something stuck, and like I was having a heart attack! Each of the 4 times, I tried to lay down but that only made it worse. The thing that helped, although was hard to do, was burp and try to take deep breaths! When you're eating meals with other people, you tend to pickup eating at their pace! If you think about it, that's why resturants play up-beat quick paced music and keep it dark! You'll pace with the music and eat fast, and people tend to eat more in the dark! (then you leave stuffed) Sounds like you did just the same thing that I did. (according to my surgeon) WE were eating TOO FAST! It's easy to fix and avoid if you make yourself aware of it, take your time, and concentrate on how long you chew! Enjoy the conversation, and put down your fork in between bites. You'll find that you won't eat as much! I always have leftovers even when I only take a tiny tiny portion! Good luck, and hopefully neither of us will have this horrible pain and feeling again! Hugs, Jessica
MiniMimi
on 8/16/07 3:17 am - Houston, TX
My surgery was a month ago and I am still on a "full liquid" diet. Anyway, an insane desire to chew and several hours researching the safety of eating real food at 3 1/2 weeks, I tried to eat a bite of chicken salad (very moist) and ended up with a horrible pain in my chest and ended up vomitting, despite chewing it fully and it being a tiny bite. I had the same problem with pureed red bell peper soup even though it was liquid. I think it was the tiny pieces of pepper skin. Does this pass? I am so worried about when I move to soft foods in a few weeks that I won't be able to handle it. My surgeon does not want his patients to drink protein shakes. He feels they contribute to dehydration and I need to get protein somehow. The NSA Carnation Instant Breakfast is getting really old. I have no problem keeping down low fat cheese. PLEASE advise. 7/23/07 RNY
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views