Metallic aftertaste?

Jacqueline H.
on 7/31/07 1:23 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
I'm a week and a half out from my surgery and doing well as far as I know. I'm still on full liquids through the end of the week and consequently drinking at least two very high-protein drinks a day. Yesterday I noticed a weird metallic taste in my mouth after one of my protein shakes and today, there it is again! I've heard this can happen, but does anyone know why? Jacqi
Marianne C.
on 7/31/07 2:17 am - Hudson, FL
I'm not sure but I do remember having this happen to me when I did the Atkins diet. I learned then that it was caused by the process of your body being in Kitosis..... meaning it is burning fat. I am not sure but I would guess this is what is going on with you too. Perhaps others will chime in here and give their 2 cents worth as well. -Marianne C.
nomorejellybelly
on 7/31/07 2:22 am
I am curious as well. My DH found protein drinks with 35 carbs per and after drinking them and an Atkins shake, I experienced the same thing. I thought it had something to do with the surgery or anesthesia. Totally just a guess, I have never had surgery before being banded. Michelle
Dreamskape
on 7/31/07 5:02 am - Elkhart, IN
I have not experienced the metallic taste yet, but I know when I have an Isopure I get the worse tasting, dry mouth I have ever had. And it seems to last ALL day.
AmyCorean
on 8/6/07 5:54 am - Northfield, MN
Hi Jacqi, I had the same thing and when I saw my nurse for my 1 week check up she said it was the ketones we were burning from losing fat. If you keep your water intake up the ketones should come out when you go to the bathroom instead of tasting/feeling it in your mouth. Good Luck, it will pass soon. Take care, Amy
Leslie S.
on 8/9/07 1:35 pm
Hello! I am 3 weeks and 1 day out from my surgery and I started noticing a metallic taste about a week or so ago. I wondered what it was, but didn't really think much about it. I just figured it had something to do with my body not taking in many calories. If that is that case about your body burning fat then that is AWESOME! Has the taste gone away for you? I still have it every once in a while. Leslie
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views