Issues with protein since surgery

grumperini
on 7/29/07 2:13 am - Gilbert, AZ
Hi all - I had lapband surgery on 7/3, and initially I had no problem getitng in all my protein drinks. However, for the past two weeks just the thought of protein supplements makes me nauseated and initiates a gag reflex. I have had hardly any protein in the last two weeks as a result. Anyone else having this problem? I can't even stomach the idea of a scrambled egg which was originally going down well. I know the nutritionist is going to yell at me tomorrow about this, but I've chosen no protein over gagging nausea. HELP.
saphireset3
on 7/29/07 4:09 am - Yuba City, CA
We all know the importance of choking down our protein, that being said, I have only been getting in about 20 grams in a day and that's been through chicken, cottage cheese and yoguart. Funny you posted this now as I am sitting here drinking a new protein that's awesome! It has absolutley NO vitamin or protein taste to it! It's a 15 gram, 5 sugars, protein berry smoothie powder, mixed with 6 oz water and 2 ice cubes, it's delicious and tastes better than jamba juice! Unfortunatley, I only bought 1 package out of a box from my doctors office to sample it and it doesn't state the brand on it! Tomorrow I will be calling to find out and posting it on this board! I think it's all a matter of finding something that tastes good to you and that has proven to be an extremely difficult task! Watch for my post tomorrow, These are a really good treat for yourself after all of those others. Good Luck, keep trying and know that your not alone! I Am Stronger Than Myself Janice
Cynde H.
on 7/29/07 12:09 pm - Plano, TX
Have you tried New Whey? It comes in a 3.5 oz vial and has 42 gr of protein. It's not too bad. I usually add just a little water because it is a little thick. I ordered mine over the internet.
Dreamskape
on 7/29/07 5:27 am - Elkhart, IN
Oh girl.. I know EXACTLY how you feel! I had my surgery the same day and at first had no problem drinking nearly a full bottle of Isopure.. Now I cannot stand them.. and it takes me about 3 days to drink one 20oz bottle. When I do drink them, they leave my stoma*****nots and gives me the worse dry icky tasting mouth I have every had. 3 days ago, I stopped drinking them and I feel 100 % better! I know this is not good.. and I know my doctor will not be pleased with me, but I'm tired of not feeling good after I drink them.... So I'm in the same boat as you. Some people have recommended protein shakes made with low-fat milk but I asked my doctor about this and he does not allow Milk this early in the program. It is really frustrating as there seems to be a HUGE difference in what types of diets Doctors have their patients on. You would think they would all be relatively similar.. but they are not....
brendaworley
on 7/29/07 10:04 am
I can't have yogart, milk or anything good. I can only have fat free cheese, fat free cottage cheese, or lean meat like chicken and turkey. I can't STAND isopure or the shakes. They are disgusting. I get a horrible taste in my mouth from not having any carbs. Good luck and maybe things will get better. Does anyone have trouble with the shakes causing diarrhea?
MsGriff07
on 7/29/07 10:07 am - Philadelphia, PA
Renee i truly understand I bought the matrix 5.0 Cookies and creme It tastes good with milk (lowfat) but my stomach goes in knots flips and everything else(yes I use lactaid pills it doesnt make a difference) I also bought the any whey supposedly without taste yeah right It makes whatever you mix it with yucky..I HATE IT!!.... yogurt and cottage cheese I WILL HURT YOU IF YOU COME NEAR ME WITH THAT STUFF..... I've tried hard boiled eggs..not too bad gotta have the GAS-X ready.... cheese and crackers not to bad and Tiffany gave me a recipe using ricotta cheese ,spaghetti sauce and monzerella cheese put in oven 10 minutes it tastes like lasagne without the noodles(yummy) using lowfat cheese of course.....a scrambled egg with cheese is ok once a week i get nauseous too with the scrambled eggs..I have been eating baby goldfish crackers only 4 grams of protein and they won't make me nauseous i know it should be much much more I'm in the same boat as you guys...
jessica0378
on 7/29/07 11:53 am - Red Lion, PA
My surgery was 7/12, and I too am a little worried about getting protein in. They say that there's only 7gm protein in each oz of meat. Eating about 2 oz per meal 3 times a day, that's not enough protein, even if it's all meat! I've been trying to get creative with shakes, but they ust get so nasty! I can tolerate the chocolate body fortress shake from walmart, but the vanilla sucks! I've tried adding crystal light, bananna, SF syrups, etc. Nothing helps it, and the chocolate is getting boring! I bought a few sample packs of Nectar from www.vitalady.com Tonight, I tried the Caribbean Cooler protein. The texture is chalky, like the a regular old protein shake, and it's milky, unlike what I was expecting. I thought it'd be clear, like Isopure (liquid death in a bottle), but taste better. I was wrong! This is the FIRST thing I've swallowed since surgery that made me want to throw up! I managed to drink 1/2 over ice, and even added 1/2 pack of orange CL to improve the taste, and it made it worse! The rest went down the drain, and I'm still feeling like crap....2 hours later! I have 4 other flavors of Nectar to try, and I hope they go down better. If not, I'm sticking with the boring thick old chocolate, or better yet, real food that I can tolerate, like chicken, beef, beans and fish! PS IF you find something that is great tasting and not chalky, please let me know! Hugs, Jessica
Victoria B.
on 7/29/07 10:36 pm - Levittown, PA
I thought I was the only one. I have been trying unjury I qrdered online. I hate the Staw berry and Vanilla, I have not tried the Chocolate nad unflavored yet. I will be putting the unflavored in S/F F/F pudding today I will let you know.
grumperini
on 7/30/07 5:36 am - Gilbert, AZ
Wow - it's so nice to know I'm not the only one! I can't stomach all the store bought protein drinks so I've using the Unjury. I was fine with pre surgery, but YUCK. I saw my surgeon today at the 4 week mark, and we talked about it, but the bottom line is that I have to get back into it somehow. I'm HOPING that it's just a matter of overdosing on it before AND the fact that surgery sometimes changes your tastebuds for a while and a lot of things taste awful. Fingers crossed. Tomorrow I start on solid food (although, honestly, I've been cheating a little) and that should help A LOT. Thank you ALL for writing in!!
Marianne C.
on 7/31/07 2:32 am - Hudson, FL
I have the same problem with protein shakes. I posted this as a separtate topic but thought I'd post as a reply here to make sure you don't miss it. My weight loss surgery Angel, Mary J turned me onto something I'm sure many of you already know about but thought I'd post in case there are some who have not heard of it. It is called Unjury and you can read about it and order it from http://unjury.com/reg/bariatric.shtml. It has 20 grams of protein per scoop! I put it in iced coffee, iced tea and/or crystal light. In fact I'm sipping on my second tall glass of iced coffee now as we speak! You HONESTLY can NOT taste it and there is absolutely no texture change. It truly IS UNflavored. -Marianne C.
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views