Surgery was July 19th

laughter4myheart
on 7/26/07 10:15 pm - Sterling Heights, MI
Hello all.... My RNY was last Thursday so 9 days ago. I am doing well except having to drink more protein....UGGHHH!!!! I find if I water it down with more skim milk I do ok. Yesterday was the first time I got in 60 grams in one day. I find I can do more then just sip small sips. Is this normal?? Not huge gulps or anything, but I can drink 8 ounces faster than they suggest. I am down 12 pounds since the day of surgery. I think that is awesome considering I came home 4 pounds heavier..lol...anyway, just wanted to check in with my July birthday buddies and say hello. I will be around more often now. I was soooo busy prior to surgery! Hope you all are having a great day !!
freespirit01
on 7/27/07 12:12 am - Maumee, OH
Wow, Jane, you are doing GREAT! I KNOW I am not getting my 40 grams of protein that my nut requests at this time! I only get about 2-3 oz. of food in at each meal. I am being extra cautious, no vomitting here!! Small sips? I can probably do a little more than that also. I don't gulp because I did once and I felt the air immediately in my pouch! So glad to hear you are doing well!! Keep up the good work!! Malissa
Monica P.
on 7/27/07 1:17 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
Hi Jane! We're surgery twins! (7/19!!) Today I have my one-week check-up with my surgeon. I too have lost about 12 pounds and have a difficult time getting my protein in. I think I only managed to do it twice since coming home from the hospital. The milk and poowdered protein began to really gross me out, especially when its all sunny and hot outside. Yesterday I switched to Isopure...a clear fruity tasting liquid with no sugar and about 40grams of protein. (Reminds me of snapple) Its made things much much easier! I picked mine up at a local GNC, but I know you can also order it online. Stick around, we can take this wild ride together... Monica
Jean M. B.
on 7/27/07 7:31 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Jane! Congrats on having your surgery!! and, Congrats on your wt loss, too! 12 lbs is awesome! I'm doing well, too! Thank goodness...we made it to the other side OK! Boy, Jane, I sure hear you on those protein drinks!!! I am soooo sick of them! Yes, keep in touch and share your progress! Isn't it great to have surgery behind us? Take care, Jean
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/07 8:46 am
My surgery was the 19th too-I'm so glad I did it! Good luck to you all.
Jacqueline H.
on 7/27/07 9:57 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
Hi, Jane, glad to see you on this board! I'm finding I can drink things faster than they suggest and I'm hoping it doesn't mean I've already stretched my pouch! But hopefully my swelling is just going down. I went to my first post-op visit today and am officially down 10 lbs from my pre-surgery weight (down 18, if you want to count the 8 lbs I gained at the hospital from fluids.) They were very happy for me, but told me not to expect as much weight loss in future weeks because they thing a lot of the 10 lbs was water. (I'll hang on to that idea if I don't lose, believe me, but can I help but hope I drop a little more before things slow down too much?) I also concluded yesterday that I probably am lactose-intolerant post-surgery, if the amount of gas pain and bloating is anything to go by, so yesterday I started using as much lactaid instead where I can and taking lactaid tablets when I can't. Now, instead of using RTD shakes, I'm making protein drinks with 4 oz lactaid and a scoop of powder with 23 gm of protein, then adding in something good to flavor it, like hazelnut SF FF creamer. I figure that drinking 2 of those 27 gm protein drinks a day give me 54 gms. Some days I just have three drinks (all with lactaid now, believe me!) and other days I've made up the protein difference with other protein sources like creamed soup made with evaporated skim milk. I'm really looking forward to eventually moving to non-dairy, though. As much as I have always loved dairy foods, the lactose intolernce has kind of turned me off to it so that I'm trying to minimize it if possible. (Given my history of cheese addiction, this may be a good thing, though!) Jacqi
colombo126
on 7/28/07 6:05 am
Hi, my surgery was the 23rd and I too can not deal with the protein . I am drinking Isopure. It is expensive but light and just tastes like punch. How many grams are your doctors telling you is enough? My Dr. says 75-100 and it is too hard for me. I am also alittle down(depressed) any one else? Also the crushing of the meds-how long does that last?
mtowngirl
on 7/29/07 5:30 am - Indianapolis, IN
I drink Atkins Advantage protein shakes. They are reasonably priced. Taste good. 1 can has 15 grams of protein. I also have started adding 1 scoop of GNC 100% whey protein, banana creme for an additional 20 grams of protein. It's not bad at all. I put it in the blender and put 2 ice cubes and blend. It's not bad at all. I probably would go with a different flavor or unflavored protein mix. I really like the strawberry and choclate royale. Hope this helps give you another option. Pauletta
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views