1 week post-op...ADVICE PLEASE!

Leslie S.
on 7/25/07 1:05 pm
My surgery was one week ago today and everything is going good for the most part. The only problem is the liquid diet. I am having really, really bad emotional issues with this liquid diet. I am allowed CLEAR liquids. This is the list of what I can have: 1 oz every 30 mintutes to one hour: Apple juice Grape or Cranberry juice (dilute with 1/2 water) Orange Juice with no pulp Sugar free popcicles Sugar free jello Broth Soups Tea and Coffee with sugar substitute That is really not alot when I look at what everyone else is having 1 week post-op. I feel like I can't do this. I am looking forward to next Tuesday because that is my two-week post-op visit and I will get a new list of foods that I can eat. I am also at the point where I am thinking that I should not have had this surgery. Maybe I wasn't ready for it. Does anyone else feel this way????? Ok, is anyone else limited to the 'clear' liquids like I am? I am seeing people are drinking milk and all sorts of stuff. Anyway, sorry to whine...I know I fought for two years to have the surgery, so I shouldn't be whining about it now! Thanks for any advice!!!!!! Leslie
freespirit01
on 7/25/07 1:36 pm - Maumee, OH
Hi Leslie, we have the same surgery dates! I am on pretty much the same diet. I do get oatmeal, cream soups and s/f pudding also. It is still EXTREMELY hard! I get to add scrambled eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt Saturday and I CANNOT WAIT!! This stage is extemely hard! I am soooo sick of cream soups!! There are very few out there that are fat free! My mind is telling me I want FOOD and my pouch is telling me I don't!! Hang in there! I have lost 15 pounds already so at least I can see some rewards for my effort! We will push through this stage and be so happy we did this!! Malissa
Leslie S.
on 7/25/07 1:44 pm
Congrats on your surgery! When I go in next Tuesday for my two-week visit I will be getting a new list of foods that I will be on for the next FOUR weeks. We don't change very often....2, 6, 8, three months, six months, nine months. That's the order of my eating schedules. I don't know what is in all of the schedules, but I do know that beef and pork are in the 9 month time frame. I am hoping that there will be quite a bit of food on the next list since I have to be on it for a whole month!!!! You know, I would be content if I could just have my mashed potatoes! I LOVED mashed potatoes before, so that will be fine when I can eat those. Anyway, good luck with your progress!!!!!! Leslie
saphireset3
on 7/25/07 2:43 pm - Yuba City, CA
That sounds like a pretty strict post-op liquid diet to me too. I'm 10 days ahead of you ( July 9th) and I was aloud quite a bit more of a variety and amounts. I had to get in as moch liquid a day as possible. Each Dr. is different though. Just remember, he's doing it for a reason, we don't always understand, but we didn't go to medical school either. You've some so far that though the next 6 days may seem like a life time, you can get through it. You just have to be stronger than your mind thinks your are. Keep yourself busy, and soon enough you're mind will forget your that feeling. Sounds like a load of crap, but it's got me through the last 16 days, now I'm 1 chin, 2 pant sizes, and 28 pounds less. Good luck!
jessica0378
on 7/25/07 10:16 pm - Red Lion, PA
I went through something simular......check my profile from last week! Don't become a prisoner of the clock.....just remember to sip sip sip! I was making myself crazy trying to sip 1 oz in 15 min and I was "sipping too fast or too much" in the time slot, it caused a mental meltdown! Call your nurse or dr's office for additional support! It's not easy, but it WILL get better! The nurse told me to just sip and sip and sip, and if it feels like I'm sipping too much, take a break but then sip again. Your body will let you know if you've taken in too much. I have not gotten sick at all, just kinda felt super full on fluids....but again, it get's better each day! Hugs! Jessica
Jean M. B.
on 7/26/07 12:10 am - St. Cloud, MN
HI, Leslie! We are in the same boat!!!! But, I am 16 days post op and am still on clear liquids (except for my 2 protein drinks)! I am so SICK of Boost and water I could cry! I forget that I can have broth all the time tho, and last night when I couldn't look at my Boost I put some protein powder in a cup of broth and was OK. I can't have any juice, either. He wants me on this for a full 4 wks after surgery and I don't know if I can make it!!!! I put in an "emergency" email to my NUT beginning to be able to add something to my diet, eg SF pudding! Haven't heard back from her yet!!! I trust my surg and his program but like you, it's been hard reading what others are able to eat so early post op. I have lost 36 lbs as of today, so I have that to hang on to, but...REALLY...I WANT FOOD! I haven't regreted having WLS and am thrilled with the wt loss, but.....you know what I mean. Maybe we can support each other and whine together and get thru this???? Take care, Jean
H A.
on 7/26/07 12:12 am - NOR CAL, CA
I only had clear liquids two days before and two day's after (4 days) Now I'm on protein drinks and liquid soups. I'm doing ok with that. Psych you self into that you'll be losing more weight it's healtier for your new stomach. Make your family go out to dinner w/o you or send them out on a picnic w sandwichs. The smells and TV commercials are the worst. Best of luck. I know you can do it. Heidi
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/07 3:31 am
Broth is a good thing to get a salty, NOT SWEET taste...never thought I'd be a fan. I enjoy smells a lot more-but I am trying to stay away from food situations till my head adjusts.
mtowngirl
on 7/26/07 6:39 am - Indianapolis, IN
Wow! I feel really lucky. Dr. Clark advanced me to full liquids while I was in the hospital. I had my surgery at 11 AM. Buy 6:30 I was having 1 oz. of scrambled eggs and 1 oz. of cottage cheese. I am at Phase III foods, which wasn't suppose to start until day 3. I'm sorry you have to do liquids, it would be very boring after doing it for so long. Good Luck!
freespirit01
on 7/26/07 9:46 am - Maumee, OH
I am so having the blues today! I had to sit in the same house while my family ate meatloaf, potatos and carrots! I heatedup my "strained cream of mushroom soup". My mind is totally taking too long to catch up with my pouch!! I don't know if I can eat another bite of creamed soups!! I am sure this is temporary but it is still really hard! I totally hear ya Leslie!!!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views