Something to consider before your surgery

aimee43
on 7/23/07 4:59 am
I'm new here so I hope it's ok if I start by offering some advice. It's a result of a mistake I made that made me frantic and I'd hate to think anyone else went through this needlessly. When I checked in for my surgery last Friday among other questions, I was asked if I had a religious preference. I said "Catholic" and that was that until the following day, Saturday. I was still in a fog from the anesthesia so not thinking clearly. Along came a Eurcharistic Minister asking if I'd like to take communion. I said yes. I put it in my mouth, it was so thick (not like the usual hosts) I had to really work at it to get it unstuck from the roof of my mouth but once I did I swallowed it. I immediatly was terriefied,. I realized this was the first thing I had eaten and it was WAY too big. The nurse came by, I told her what happened, she said "oh those things are meant to melt, I'm sure it's fine" I tried to explain that this host seemed much bigger and thicker. Anyway, she felt it'd be fine. Bottom line is if someone offeres this, I'd decline it. We''ve been drilled about not eating anything too large and this is way too big. I feel kinda funny today but I've been assured that it has passed my stomach by now. I sure hope so, I was imagining the headlines "Woman dies from communion after RNY" !!!
Kathryn B.
on 7/23/07 8:35 am - Stillwater, MN
Amy - I did the same thing my first day without even thinking. I didn't know what to do. I held it in my mouth until it was very small and swallowed and prayed as I was not yet able to have even water. Glad to see I am not the only one. I felt so silly.
jessica0378
on 7/23/07 2:24 pm - Red Lion, PA
I told them that I was catholic, and when they asked if I'd like a priest to visit, I figured it would involve communion, so I opted to not have the visit. I'm glad you posted because that's not something you think about going into the hospital! Good going!
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views