7/10ers.........whaaaats uuuuuup?

Jean M. B.
on 7/17/07 6:37 am - St. Cloud, MN
Just wanted to say hi to my surgery siblings! Wondering how everyone is doing? I had my first post surgery consult with Dr. Glass yesteday and it went well. It was a little early because he usually likes it to be two weeks out. Either way, I saw him and he was pleased with how I'm doing. He told me not to worry about ths numbers on the scale for now b/c I'm probably still retaining fluids from IV. I weighed 255, well actually....254.2 but who worries about the numbers! His nurse said he always "rounds up"! I was unable to get him to OK adding yogurt or soup. He wants me on the post op LD for a full month! In fact, he said no soup EVER because it is too high a calorie liquid for us. They all have their opinions, huh? Actually, I plan to follow his directions to the T! I want to make the most of WLS and trust his recommendations (even tho I don't like them!). Anyway, I am still down 26 lbs from my highest of 281. Woooo Hoooo! Take care and let's hear from you wonderful Tenners! Jean
Laurie J.
on 7/17/07 8:08 am - St Croix Falls, WI
Wow - won't even allow yogurt and soup? I had soup (chicken broth) for breakfast the day after my surgery, and tomato soup for lunch that day in the hospital! Things are going well for me. I wouldn't be able to take a full month of the LD... I have to wait 3 weeks to see Dr. Chute, and won't actually get to see him - one of the PAs in his clinic. I have been having yogurt, sf jello and applesauce quite a bit - really tired of that menu, however. I did try a soft scrambled egg the other day - couldn't eat the whole egg, but didn't have problems with the amount that I did eat. I hope that I can get some ideas - I posted on the MN Message board with questions about this. My biggest problem right now are the surgery sites...the are starting to itch really bad, and a couple of them hurt, but no infection - I am being really careful to watch for that. Glad things are going well for you!
Jean M. B.
on 7/17/07 8:20 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Laurie! Good to hear from you! I'm glad you are feeling well. Was your surgery RNY, laproscopic? I am sooooooooo jealous that you can eat something solid, tho! Oh, well, we do what we have to, right? I'll be watching the MN board for responses to your questions, too. Mine (surgery sites) are starting to itch, too, but not too bad, so far. Don't they say that's a sign of healing? I am a little worried about the incision on my belly button. One of the steri strips came off (OK, I pulled it off ) and it looks kinda red. I'll be watching that one. I go back to work tomorrow!!! Feeling good and hopeful, Jean
Laurie J.
on 7/17/07 8:33 am - St Croix Falls, WI
You go back to work tomorrow?? Only 1 week off after surgery? My doctor said that I should stay home for a month - they want me on solid foods before I go back to work! Wow - there really are some MAJOR differences between surgeons. Yes, my surgery was laproscopic, so I have 7 little surgery sites. My doctors office stated that if the steristrips come off, that is ok, jus****ch them carefully to make sure that everything is healing ok. I have one site that is bruised all around it and is very tender, but there is no infection on any of the spots...that is a good thing, but I am also keeping a really careful eye on that. Have fun back at work....yikes! I can't imagine going back to work yet. I get so tired so easily yet. Later!
Jean M. B.
on 7/18/07 2:48 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Laurie! Yeah, I thought it was early to go back to work, too. But w/o his support, short term disability was out for me and I need my paycheck. I have some major bruising, too, but surgeon wasn't concerned about it. I'm a little tired right now, but will be going home for a short walk and even shorter cat nap/snooze. Drinking my Boost right now for lunch. Hope I make it thru the pm OK, I have a desk job but have to interact with people on a pretty intense level for the rest of the day. Enjoy your time off... I think it's great your surgeon seems to recognize the healing process lasts longer than some improvement on the incisions!!! Take care, Jean
Dawnyel B.
on 7/18/07 4:16 pm - Whittier, CA
Hi I'm a 7/10 er but I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery! I am already drinking 1.5 - 2 liters of water a day and 100 g of protein, or at least close to that. I have 5 holes from my laproscopic procedure and 14 staples. I get my staples out this Friday.. HOORAY!!! they are itching and hurting, but no redness except where the puncture wounds are from where the staples went in. MY SURGEON REQUIRES 6 WEEKS OF LIQUIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm dying over here! -Dawnyel
Jean M. B.
on 7/25/07 3:06 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Dawnyel! Kinda late getting back to you...sorry. Sounds like you are doing great! Glad you got your stples out!! Me, too...dying that is! My surg also requires 6 wks of liquids, and clear liquids at that! water, SF popsicles, SF jello, broth and my protein drinks. I am getting nauseous after drinking the protein drinks and wasn't even able to finish one last night! It's really getting hard to even tolerate the amount of water we need to drink. How are you doing? Jean
poeticmom
on 7/19/07 5:06 am - VA
Hello everyone, I went to see my doc today, I too had a laparoscopic RNY with 5 incisions and the staples came off today, I managed to get down to 285 from 295 pre-op, and today (1 week out) weighed in at 270. I have been washing the sites often with warm soapy warm n water, yes the itchin is a sign of healin but the redness can get infected, so wash often. I also follow my grandmas advice n put ointment on my scars now that the staples are out n uncovered, is a diaper rash ointment from Chile that has Bacalao oil , which is a fish, like cod liver oil, I think is what they call it here, anyways, I expect my cuts to be healed soon with that, cos it wkd on other scars before (it acts as a tissue re-generator). he said I can go on pureed food todays, so for lunch I had 2tbls of egg whites (that i microwaved for almost 2 mins),1 tbls steamed spinach,and 1 tbls pureed pear. I feel great, can sleep on both my sides, not tummy yet, walk every day, and except for some soreness sometimes almost dont feel like I had this surgery!!! glad to see u are well Jean, I thought bout u . Ill go back in 3 wks for another ck up.Ill be on pureed for 8 weeks n then move to solids. btw, I too drank a small can of v-8 on my liquid diet, but stayed off the campbells soups, too much salt. I did yogurt,jello,the milk shakes,and water.with cranberry juice. anywhays, peace to all !!!
Jean M. B.
on 7/25/07 3:10 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Poetic!!!! sorry it took me so long to get back to you..... Congrats on your weightloss, thats 25lbs!!! if I subtracted correctly! AWESOME! And, thanks for thinking of me! I've been using Mederma which is supposed to be good for scars. 'm jealous you can eat something, I'm still on liquids! Getting really sick of them! Anyway, keep in touch and take care, Jean
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views