Need ideas for LD w/new diabetes diagnosis

bizzyjan
on 7/17/07 1:08 am - augusta, GA
Hello to everyone! I am having my lapband on July 31 South of the Border, and I'm starting my 2 week liquid diet today. BUT I was JUST diagnosed (last week) with Type II diabetes. Doc says its in the very early stage and this surgery may take care of it. However, how do I do liquids for 2 weeks? Any ideas? I already know if I go too long without eating or eat something real sweet I get the shakes, sweats, etc. Please help.I asked my doc (family doctor)and he didn't know. Thanks, and prayers for all of us July Weight-Loss Warriors!! Jan
Stephanie G.
on 7/17/07 5:38 am - Rowlett, TX
It should be the same as everyone else: sugarfree jello, SF popsicles, chicken broth (no noodles), protein drinks, water, crystal light. If you start to get a blood sugar drop, drink a protein drink (preferably one that tastes like chocolate and is made with skin milk). The carbs are very low or non-existant in all these choices. You can also call your WL surgeon and ask for suggestions.
Jacqueline H.
on 7/17/07 6:00 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
I'm diabetic and I've been using the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes. They're only got 4-6 carbs per container (depending on flavor) and 17 g protein. The rest of the time, I eat non-starchy vegetables. When I get low blood sugar, I just drink a shake and that helps it back up, and if it doesn't, I will either take my glucose tablets or maybe have a part-skim cheese stick. I also have NOT been taking my glyburide metformin because it was making my blood sugar go too low during the day because I'm not eating much. So far, my blood sugars are remaining in the 120s first thing in the morning, which isn't bad for no meds, IMO. Lets hope we both are going to be "recovered" diabetics post surgery!
Jean M. B.
on 7/17/07 6:02 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Jan! Sorry to hear about the diabetes diagnosis but, be encouraged! Your doc is probably right about the surgery correcting it. I have heard that, too. In the meantime, check with your surgeon for advice about what to have on the LD. I think it's important to follow their direction and not get confused by what other people may write. It seems that they (the surgeons) all have their own beliefs based upon thier experience with their WLS patients. My LD is the same as what the other poster shared with you. Take care and let us know how you are doing, Jean
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 649 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1415 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 974 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 828 views