Just a quick question....

GUESSME01
on 7/4/07 1:16 am - NY
I just had surgery on June 26th and came home on my own last night and ate meet, and its not on the diet plan so made myself vomit. I am not vomiting when I eat any food. How do I know if I am doing this right. I mean arnt we allowed to move on with the food thing. I am confused. SO if anyone will kindly let me know. i also dont feel full what does feeling full mean and how do i know if i am full...im eatting 3 meals 1 oz each and water all through the day. i dont want to be fat so please help out..:'(
Noelle R.
on 7/4/07 6:31 am - MA
HI Linda I was told to wait to eat meat because it is really hard to digest I had surgury on june 18th and I am on liquids only for another two weeks. then i graduate to soft puree food. My doctor told me as long as I eat in these stages it will give the pouch and my insides time to heal. hope this helps Noelle : )
Margaret F.
on 7/4/07 8:34 am - (7-07-04)
you need to follow a food protocol, pureed chicken or tuna is good to start. but you must stay on the protein shakes, and follow a step diet. margaret
Becka_Marie
on 7/4/07 6:41 am - Wahiawa, HI
Were you not given a diet stage to follow? I was given one already and I havent even had surgery yet. I believe you should be on liquids fr 2-3 weeks then pureed food for up to 4 monts then on to soft foods. You need time to heal the inside of your new pouch and if you are eating food that is not liquid it can cause you to damage your new pouch.
Noelle R.
on 7/4/07 9:09 am - MA
Hi Rebecca I was given the same stages as yourself. only my liquids are for 4 weeks after surgery then on week 5 i add soft purees. it makes sense that you need to heal so you dont damage your pouch. thanks so much Noelle : )
turtleof3
on 7/4/07 7:50 am - Stillwater, OK
You really need to invest in the book Weight Loss Surgeries for Dummies.It will put you at ease.There has to be defined info on this site somewhere.Go to top and type in "food" or "diet".Just look around and relax alittle.It will be all right.Kristin
(deactivated member)
on 7/4/07 9:31 am - BALTIMORE, MD
i has surgery on june 29th. i was give the following guidelines months before i had the surgery. 1st week clear lquids, 2-3wks full liquids( ie protein shakes, low fat creams soups and the like) weeks 4-5 pureed foods ( if it blends and no sugar you can eat it pretty much) and on to solids at week 6. no caffein for 3months no carbonation for 1 year at least no bread, starch for at least 6months Hope this helps.
Amy_in_MA
on 7/4/07 10:59 pm - Danvers, MA
This is the Pre-0p AND Post-Op liquid diet that my surgeon has his patients follow until they have their appointment with Heart & Wellness (to start exercise and nutritional counseling) about 4 weeks post-op. ============================ You will need to be sure that you drink either three liquid meals of Carnation Instant Breakfast or Kashi Go Lean Soy Whey Protein Powder. Do NOT use the canned pre-mixed shakes as they contain too much sugar! Mixing the drink mixes with Hood Simply Smart milk will provide you with 2 grams more protein per serving for a total of 6 grams per day. If you choose to use any other brand of skim milk you will be getting 8 grams of protein per shake instead of 10 grams per shake with the Simply Smart. In addition to your three liquid meals you may also have the following liquid snacks: Jell-O Gelatin (sugar-free), any flavor Popsicles (sugar-free) Crystal Light (drink or drink mixes) Bouillon or broth Herbal tea, any flavor Flavored waters like Reebok Fitness or Fruit2O Tomato soup 100% fruit juice (in limited quantities) You may have ONE serving per day of the following: Yogurt (no-fat, no sugar added); usually have 100-120 calories per serving OR Pudding (sugar-free, fat-free) any flavor Please be sure to wean yourself off of all caffeinated and carbonated beverages as soon as possible. Remember to sip drinks slowly, do NOT gulp the drink down. Call the surgeon's office or the coordinator or Heart & Wellness Department with any problems or questions you have. Remember this diet is HIGHLY recommended, results in a 10 lb. weight loss & shrinks the "fatty liver"...a nice start to the journey of weight loss your surgery will provide. ============================ Now, I also know that it's up to the nutritionist to decide when "mushies" (soft fruits and veggies) are started post-op...I believe they typically start that around 4 weeks...but I'm not there yet so I don't know for sure, and it's a very individual thing. I would strongly suggest you call your surgeon's office and ask if they have guidelines for you to follow. Is there any kind of after-care program you are supposed to attend?
Amy_in_MA
on 7/4/07 11:02 pm - Danvers, MA
Oh...almost forgot...they have recommendations for supplements post-op as well. Chewable multivitamins with iron (2 per day) Chewable or crushable vitamin C (500 mgs) Chewable calcium (Tums 1200-1500 mgs daily, split into 2 separate doses) 24 ounces Carnation Instant Breakfast made with Hood Simply Smart Skim Milk At least 32-64 ounces of additional calorie-free fluids
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 650 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1416 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 975 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 829 views