Constipation on liquid diet pre- and post-op

Amy_in_MA
on 7/2/07 11:32 pm - Danvers, MA
Ok, so not the most glamorous topic, but nonetheless very, very important to me at the moment. This is day 9 of the liquid diet pre-op for me and the constipation has been horrible (not to be too graphic, but I have anal fissures to begin with and this is ripping them open). I've gotten the go-ahead to take colace before surgery, and will ask if it becomes an issue post-op. For those who have already had the surgery, did they continue to have constipation issues after the surgery? How did you deal with it?
Ladyrad
on 7/3/07 1:12 am - Virginia Beach, VA
With the liquid diet you won't have much of a bowel movement after the first day or so since you're not eating food. Don't confuse constipation with lack of stool. What little their is will be few and not as often. Good luck!
Amy_in_MA
on 7/3/07 1:19 am - Danvers, MA
Constipation is hard and hard to pass stools...and that is what I am talking about. Stool that is there but stuck and can't be pushed out. LOL. (I know, gross, sorry.)
Jean M. B.
on 7/3/07 2:21 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Mary! Sorry you are having a difficult time. I know exactly what you mean. The same thing happened to me the first time I was on the LD! This time around I am taking a chewable fiber table each day, and that seems to help. Take care, Jean
Jean M. B.
on 7/3/07 2:30 am - St. Cloud, MN
Sorry, Amy... I called you Mary in my post. Did you see my PM?
B Girl
on 7/3/07 2:54 am
Other posters recommend Myralax. I tried it with no success, but I wanted to mention it in case it works for you. I finally got some relief after I broke down and took Correctol. I hate that stuff. It makes me cramp so badly.
Pinkshell4u
on 7/3/07 3:12 am
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm Day 8 of the LD and had one horrific bout of the runs on Day 2 and then .....nothing. Until today. I've started adding Benefiber to all of my water bottles throughout the day. Also I add some to my shakes. Todays poop didnt hurt at all! Yay! Good luck! Shell
Roberta W.
on 7/3/07 7:49 pm - Kent, WA
I am having the opposite problem - terrible diarrhea. Just started pre-op LD, hope this doesn't continue or I'll be on the pot until surgery day 7/17.
Noelle R.
on 7/4/07 6:28 am - MA
Hi I just went for my 2 weeks post op yesterday and the nurse told me to get liquid colace. but you need to be careful it doesnt send you the other way. Also make sure your drinking at least 48 -64 ounces of fluids everyday. Hope this helps keep in touch Noelle : )
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 650 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1416 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 975 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 829 views