Carboholic needs help

Stephanie G.
on 7/2/07 1:11 pm - Rowlett, TX
OK, I confess, all I eat are carbs. I live on pasta, potatoes, sweets, chips, etc. I don't eat ANY of the foods you can eat after bypass surgery. I am so scared that I won't be able to eat enough different things to keep me away from a major depression. I don't eat fish, vegetables, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, refried beans, chili, etc. Am I making a major mistake? I am so afraid I will get burned out on meat and cheese. Any advise? Are there others of you out there with these same concerns? Maybe this is just the pre-op jitters setting in???? Steph
Linda_S
on 7/2/07 2:23 pm - Eugene, OR
Well, I like carbs too, but I DO eat protein. I suppose that if you haven't gotten burned out on carbs, when you're post-op you may not get burned out on different types of protein? Maybe you should try to take a liking to protein before your surgery. There's still time! Linda
TESSIE59
on 7/2/07 3:44 pm - Frewsburg, NY
Steph, us carbaholics are in a catch 22. We are depressed so we eat carbs. They give us comfort and energy for awhile and then we crash and get depressed. It's a cycle. I went off carbs for a couple of months once on the atkins and after a couple of weeks it wasn't bad at all.
cleos_mom
on 7/2/07 11:08 pm - phila., PA
Hi I am a carbohydrate addict PASTA, bread soft pretzels you name it, I am also diabetic so carbs are not my friends, I found the less carbs I ate the less carbs I craved, I cut down on bread and found I could eat a cheesesteak sandwich on a bed of lettuce instead of bread, it takes about 21 days for the carb & sugar cravings to get out of your system. well I am Italian so Pasta is a different story I don't like low carb pasta or Barilla plus. DREAMFIELDS PASTA is low in carbs and very good doesn't taste like cardboard and it didnt throw my blood sugar up, before my surgery I could measure out 3 oz. dry pasta and cook that. I used to eat 1/2lb of spaghetti. Sweets before your surgery try Sugar-free. I didn't like fish but I learned to eat it, this is a life style change. try it first to stay off carbs and start using SF foods to get used to the taste. it takes 21 days to break an addiction. you can do it if you put your mind to it. Good Luck Susan
H A.
on 7/3/07 3:47 am - NOR CAL, CA
I agree that carbs are addictive. I've been staying away from them unless whole wheat or high fiber. I'm doing very well. I don't crave them anymore. I seem to have more energy. I drink a chocolate protein shake every morning and this seems to take care of my sweet craving.
Stephanie G.
on 7/3/07 2:23 pm - Rowlett, TX
Thanks to all of you that responded. I think with all the support from my OH friends, that I will make it work!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 650 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1416 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 975 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 829 views