whats the liquid diet for??

Barb H.
on 6/28/07 4:34 am - Baltimore, MD
I am set to have surgery on july 7th, my dr never said anything about a before hand liquid diet. Just wondering what it is for...
Tiffany6538
on 6/28/07 6:41 am - Monroe, NC
Just to drop a few pounds and to shrink the liver to maker the surgery easier for your surgeon.
jowenm
on 6/28/07 6:54 am - STATEN ISLAND, NY
My surgeon doesn't do the liquid diet unless the liver is fatty. I found this out quite by surprise.. when the called with my date.. JULY 12.. and said you come see the surgeon on 7/09.. I said "when do I start the liquid diet".. they say.. oh you don't have to worrry about that. . Your weight doesnt require that.. I thought for once.. My weight has something positive about it..
Jean M. B.
on 6/28/07 7:01 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Barb! Some surgeons require it to shrink the liver in order to make the laproscopic procedure "easier". If it is required there are also different expectations for how long to be on the LD. My surg requires 2 wks!!! Where are you in this process? Take care, Jean
Jupiter6
on 6/28/07 11:09 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Makes it easier for the surgeon, and a smoother transition for the patient. I have two weeks of liquid pre op and another two weeks post op.
Jean M. B.
on 6/29/07 2:48 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Shari! I don't even want to think of the post op LD!!! Gotta get thru pre-op first! It's all I can handle right now! Take care, Jean
Jupiter6
on 6/29/07 2:52 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
C'mon, it's not THAT bad! Make some Crystal Lite popsicles-- that'll help!
Jean M. B.
on 6/29/07 2:58 am - St. Cloud, MN
Actually, I found some SF popsicles that are great!! You're right...it's not so bad! Day 4 is half over!
satchmo
on 7/1/07 2:10 am
Jean M. B.
on 7/1/07 9:11 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Helena! SF means sugar free, just look for them in the freezer section of your local groc store. CL popsicles? Haven't made 'em myself, but I bet you could pour some crystal lite in a dixie cup and put a popsicle stick in it and then freeze. Gotta try it! Take care, Jean
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 650 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1417 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 975 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 829 views