Are you ready??

Monica P.
on 6/25/07 3:41 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
Five more days until July 1st and then one by one we will all become losers. (I have 24 days until my big day, but who's counting??) I liked getting to read about everyone when you introduced yourselves, this is fun! Ok, so here are some more questions... 1)What have you done to get ready for surgery? 2)What do you still need to do to be ready? 3)How are your family & friends responding to your upcoming surgery date? 4)How are you feeling? Do you feel "ready" for surgery? I'm almost finished getting my apartment ready. I have supplies on hand for when I get home from the hospital, including all my vitamins...which I've been taking for over a month now. I have my "hospital bag" ready, I'll have to throw in a few more items the night before. What I still need to do - laundry, train the temp who will cover my job while I'm out, my pre-op lab work (next week), and my one-on-one talk with my surgeon. Family & Friends - Family is freaking me out, they worry and it makes me anxious. My friends have been FANTASTIC, I'm such a lucky girl. Everyone wants to be a part of my recovery and is offering to do all sorts of things for me. I'm feeling excited. Then I watch shows like Big Medicine on the Learning Channel and I get a little scared. It's hard for me to fall asleep at night because I think about my hospital stay and what recovery will be like.
MsGriff07
on 6/25/07 10:54 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hmmmm.... what have i been doing? Well my surgery is one week from today and I've been reading everything i can sometimes i think I am overloaded with info and sometimes I can't get enough somedays I feel like im ready and then others I ask should I be doing this...I am a sweet fanatic and I have been getting my mind set for no sweets(meaning not eating them) actually been eating no sugar stuff rarely though! Found out at pre-op i lost 6 lbs been eating a lot of su****he place where I am having surgery gave a list of things to bring...a really short list so I have some of those things... bought a red robe and need to get some slippers. i am off work the entire summer(Public School) so i am good with that Been getting the stuff off the list of the liquids and protein supplements i'm supposed to have after surgery...They recommend Matrix 5.0 ...23 grams per serving found it pretty cheap on cheapvitamins.com taste pretty good they let me sample it at the hospital. they actually let me taste test a lot of protein drinks like a wine tasting event only without the wine..been figuring out different recipes on how to drink this stuff without getting bored.. my target is 70 grams of protein per day i can totally do this in my head.after surgery is a different deal. also been doing the breathing excercises 3x's a day 10 times each......... husband is coming around ....doesnt want me to have the surgery but is supportive with my decision.... kids are with me all the way Friends: i have not told any except one and she says if I do o.k then she'll do it. The rest of my friends and family will be told after Ben fanatical about the OH website ..must log on several times a day other than that that's about it Carla
Jacqueline H.
on 6/26/07 12:21 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
l)What have you done to get ready for surgery? I've done a lot of reading, have been walking 30-40 minutes every morning and have started my vitamin routine already. I've done some of the housework necessary and I bought a pair of slip on shoes to walk in. I also got the paperwork for work mostly straightened out and have finished two of the three major projects I needed to get done at work before taking time off. 2)What do you still need to do to be ready? Lots of things! I haven't bought food yet, still need a robe and nightie to replace my normal jammie bottoms and t-shirt (because I assume I won't want anything binding on my waist for a day or so), still need to get my legal papers written up and notarized (just in case) and still need to have one more visit with my surgeon and start my liquid diet. At work, I need to write a disaster plan before I leave and try to make sure things are in order for other people to locate them while I am gone. 3)How are your family & friends responding to your upcoming surgery date? My son is curious and supportive, my ex is being as supportive as he can be given that he doesn't really like the idea, and my sister is thrilled for me. So are those friends I've told. There are still a lot of friends and family I HAVEN'T told yet, though, and may not until afterwards. My mom will be told the day before so she doesn't have too long to freak out and worry for me. Other people will be told when I come back. I definitely feel supported by those already in the know, though! 4)How are you feeling? Do you feel "ready" for surgery? I'm getting more nervous about what I'm doing as the date gets closer. It's such a huge change, and the reality is sinking in. I think it will be a great change, but there is a little piece of me that worries I'll have something go wrong. I don't expect to because I am making every effort to minimize complications, but I won't relax until the surgery is done and I'm recuperating well. I'm also excited by the idea that this might work and I might get healthier, woohoo!
Jean M. B.
on 6/26/07 2:02 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hey, Monica! Luv your ?s! 1)What have you done to get ready for surgery? Besides all the usual hoops we have to jump thru, I started my two week LD today. 2)What do you still need to do to be ready? I have to have my pre-op exam (this Fri), pack a bag, tell my DH (NO! I'm just jokin'), and call my sisters. 3)How are your family & friends responding to your upcoming surgery date? Most are excited for me. My mom and a few others have commented that "Maybe you don't need surgery",(GRRRR!) after they hear about the LD and the weight loss that comes from that! 4)How are you feeling? Do you feel "ready" for surgery? OMG, I'm SOOOOOOO ready for surgery! I am excited and can't wait to begin living a healthier life!!!
Linda_S
on 6/26/07 6:15 am - Eugene, OR
1)What have you done to get ready for surgery? Well, I just had my pre-ops yesterday. I've got my protein powder, vitamins, etc., I'll have to go out and get some little 1/2 cup containers and prepare my blended soups, etc. and freeze them. I've been reading, reading, reading. "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies", "Exodus from Obesity", and now I have "Weight Loss Surgery: a Lighter Look at a Heavy Subject." I'm working the diet to try and get my weight down as much as I can before surgery. 2)What do you still need to do to be ready? Lose some more pounds, get foods prepared. I have to go back to sleep doctor and get my CPAP machine back I HATE that thing. But, the surgeon says I have to use it, so I will. 3)How are your family & friends responding to your upcoming surgery date? They are a bit bewildered. None of them think I am heavy enough. It's weird. I weigh an awful lot, but most folks think I weigh about 40-50 pounds less than I really do. They are always so shocked when I tell them the truth. 4)How are you feeling? Do you feel "ready" for surgery? I wi**** would be TOMORROW. I want it NOW!! I can hardly wait. Linda
jessica0378
on 6/26/07 10:02 am - Red Lion, PA
1)What have you done to get ready for surgery? Bought some vitamins, packed up some of my big girl clothes and hung up some smaller sizes. I've bought SF jello, pudding and some broth. 2)What do you still need to do to be ready? Pre-op visit to sign papers and blood work (CBC). Buy more items for my liquid diet and pack a few things for the hospital. I hear that chapstick is the most important. We're planning a cookout 5 days pre-op and I'll say goodbye to some of my favorite foods. 3)How are your family & friends responding to your upcoming surgery date? Hubby didn't want me to have surgery in the beginning but he's supportave now. My dad and sister are psyched and I'm still working on my Mom. My mom and step-dad are going to take me to the hospital so hubby can work, then he'll be by in the evening. Most people would want the hubby there, but it'll only make me REAL nervous! Some cousins and friends are real happy for me; some Aunts are against it (it's an "against religion" thing...blah blah blah). but............they'll see! I CAN do this and WILL be a success! 4)How are you feeling? Do you feel "ready" for surgery? I've had surgery before, and it was because I HAD to. I still "have" to have this surgery, but I WANT it more than anything! I'm counting the days til the 12th and can't wait to drop the weight! ..........and to add a little....I hope to shock the $*&# out of my family at Christmas! I won't be able to eat like before, but the attention and WOW's from everyone will be enough to "feed" me for months! Here's to OUR loss! Cheers July WLS buddies! Hugs, Jessica
Dawnyel B.
on 6/26/07 2:58 pm - Whittier, CA
1)What have you done to get ready for surgery? - I went to my pre op yesterday and did all my bloodwork, I've lost my 10% That's about it. Oh yeah, and I've had a few "last meals" LOL 2)What do you still need to do to be ready? - I need to finish cleaning my house so that I won't come home to a messy house. I need to go through all of my clothes and make piles for different people.. I have 3 people that want my fat clothes, well more like 2, but the 3rd one is my best friend and she's having surgery too. I want her to have some of my nice clothes, her and my sister. I still need to get some protein drinks for post op, but not sure what to buy? 3)How are your family & friends responding to your upcoming surgery date? - Well.... My husband is in the 6mo program that I had to do to graduate, so he is very supportive. My mom and Grandpa are very supportive, my mom is comming on surgery day to the hospital. I've told a bunch of online friends and only one friend that lives in another another state that I know in real life. All my friends I made in my 6mo class are supportive, including my best friend! and my sister and brother in law have been negative. They tell me they think I'm doing great and that I don't need the surgery, and then when I explained that they might do a different surgery to my sister.. (I was excited btw) she shot me down and said WELL YOU DEFINATLY WONT HAVE ANY KIDS NOW.. and I said WHAT??? and she said.. HOW COULD YOU EAT ENOUGH NUTRIENTS FOR A GROWING BABY? I told her lots of women do it.. Ever since then I haven't said anything to her, and I'm not telling her untill after.. IF EVER. And when she asks why I didn't tell her, I'm gonna say, do I really need an explination? 4)How are you feeling? Do you feel "ready" for surgery? - I am SO ready, getting a little nervous, but definatly READY. Ready to get it over with =) I wi**** was tomorrow =) YAY July 10th!!! 14 more days!! tomorrow will be 1 week and 6 days LOL -Dawnyel
drama_mamma
on 6/28/07 5:45 am - Lakeville, MN
Great posts. Reading the other preops helped calm my yo-yo nerves. Sometimes I'm excited and sometimes I'm nervous. Not sure what I am nervous about exactly. 1) I have read a lot and feel I am well informed. I have found a great angel and a local support group. I have started to get my lists in order of what I need to do before surgery, to pack, to have on hand after, etc. 2) Do all the things on my list. I'm still just under a month out so cleaning my house, shopping and all that will wait another week or two. 3) I am blessed to have a wonderful network of friends and family. I can tell some of my friends and family just don't quite get why I'm having this or why I'm excited but they have not been negative. Then I have other friends and family that are excited and look forward to this journey with me. 4) I don't know quite how I am feeling. Honestly, parts of me are frustrated that I had to take this drastic step to better health. I am nervous about surgery day - the unexpected. Then a major part of me is very excited. We went camping last weekend and I often thought - I wonder what this will be like 100+ pounds lighter.
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 650 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1417 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 975 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 829 views