Liquid Diet Blues

grumperini
on 6/25/07 1:01 am - Gilbert, AZ
I have to do the liquid diet for only 1 week pre-op, and I had decided to start early. Well, I made it all day but when evening hit I got so hungry - I let myself get too hungry - and I blew it. Makes me REALLY scared that I won't stick to it when I absolutely have to... Anyone else have this problem?!?!
sprout
on 6/25/07 9:36 am - kingston, Canada
Hi Renee, I am having the liquid diet blues too! I have been on it for two weeks and am getting VERY tired of it. I don't find that I get hungrey all the time but I found I couldn't eat the green veggies that I'm supposed to have without getting sick so I stopped eating. Now I just take some Benifibre with my drink.I also find it hard to cook for my husband without tasting to see if it's okay My surgery date is July 3rd, I had to do the liquid for 3 weeds before and will have to do it for several days after. I'm looking forward to the surgery so that I can start getting on with my new life. When is your surgery?
grumperini
on 6/25/07 12:04 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Wow - it's really interesting to me the different doctor-required pre op and post op diets. My liquid diet is only 1 week pre-op, but 2 weeks post-op. The hardest part of the pre-op diet though is that it is VERY low carb and extremely hard to keep full or satisfied. I keep counting on the calendar to make sure I have 7 days of this liquid diet if I start tomorrow and get to pig out tonight. Is that normal?! ugh. Anyhow, my date is July 3rd too! I'm looking forward to getting on with the new life too. Post op there are no carb restrictions so I can have "normal" milk (right now it's soy), and I can put a banana in my protein drink if I need to. If I could do that now it would be a lot easier. So where are you? I live in Arizona, but my surgery is in Virginia.
Jean M. B.
on 6/26/07 1:46 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Renee! I'm starting the first day of my 2 week liquid diet, today! OMG! Not sure how long I have to be on it post surg, gotta check the manual my NUT gave me! Just want to deal with this time period for now! Oh, I think it's normal to figure what the last day you can eat is, I sure did. Two nights ago, I was almost panicy about eating what ever I wanted b/c I won't be able to eat like that again!!! Last night wasn't so bad, I just want to remember that what I do now will help my surg go better and that helps. We can do this!!! Take care, Jean
grumperini
on 6/26/07 2:26 am - Gilbert, AZ
Well today, like you, is my drop dead date. HAVE to stick to it from today on. But I know I can do it. I think I just had in the back of my mind that I still had time... I have to be on liquids only 1 week prior to surgery, but 2 weeks post-op. I think it will be easier post op though because I won't be hungry until I'm not sore, and there are no carb restrictions afterwards. Pre-op is hard because I have to keep carbs under 50g and that is HARD. Can't add fruit or bananas and both help to make the taste and increase the bulk. But what you say is true. It will help surgery go better and it's worth it in the end!!! Thank you for reminding me! Renee p.s what is RNY?
sprout
on 6/26/07 9:03 am - kingston, Canada
Hi Renee It will be soooooooooooo worth it in the end, I can't wait! It is really hard on the liquid but you are lucky you can have any carbs I'm only allowed 225 calories of greens with no dressings, so that is why I stopped eating anything.I don't know why doctors are different about how long you have to be on the liquid maybe it has something to do with how much you weigh? I too ate everything I could think of the last two weeks before starting the liquid. The good thing about the liquid is you will loose weight! I have lost quite a bit, but I sure can't wait to taste something and to chew something again! I'm starting to forget what carbs taste like! Do you find it hard to cook for your family? Thank goodness I don't have children to cook for my husband is very understanding and pretty self sufficient. I live in Canada, (Nova Scotia) but I have to go to Toronto to have my surgery, that is about 1600 miles from here so we are flying up. My insurance doesn't cover anything so it is quite expensive, but I'm worth it! I am getting a bit nervous about the surgery are you? I sure hope everything goes okay for you, how far do you have to travel? Sheri
grumperini
on 6/27/07 1:49 am - Gilbert, AZ
Cooking for a family would be really hard - I'm luck 'cause I'm single with no kids. I have to travel too - from Arizona to Virginia. I'll be staying in Virginia for 6 weeks during recovery and the first fill. Then it's back to Arizona. My insurance doesn't cover it either so I'm on my own. When are you flying to Toronto? I'm flying this Friday!
sprout
on 6/27/07 8:41 am - kingston, Canada
Hi Renee I am flying to Toronto on Sunday, I am a teacher and have to wor****il Friday. I am staying in a hotel, my surgery is Tuesday and then I fly home on Thursday. There is a place in Nova Scotia where I can get my fill so I am lucky that way, it is only 4 hours away. Where will you stay for 6 weeks do you have family close by? I could be expensive to stay in a hotel that long. How are you doing on the liquid? I was talking to a friend of mine who was saying that she doesn't do the liquid at all just a 1200 calorie diet--- sure sounds good to me! I don't find it that bad really, I sometimes get so busy I forget to drink it. Are you nervous at all? I am a little but I really trust the doctor, I have only talked to him on the phone but he sounds very capable and this is basically all he does so I am quite comfortable, have you met your doctor? Sheri
grumperini
on 6/27/07 10:41 am - Gilbert, AZ
I'm really lucky because I do have family in the area and I'll be staying with my parents during the 6 week of recovery and the first fill. I think I'd rather have the liquid diet rather than the 1200 diet - heck if I could stick with that I would have ages ago! HA! Right? I know my surgeon VERY well - he's actually my brother's best friend and I've known him since college age. I'll be there for 6 weeks as I said and I fell very confident that all will go well.
LAGORDITA
on 6/26/07 1:07 pm
Hi, I am new on this forum, but I am with you with the liquid diet woes. Today was my second day and I totally blew it once I got home from work. My surgery is the 9th so that means I have more than a week to straighten myself up. Good Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 650 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1417 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 976 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 829 views