Help with Letters of Medical Necessity for Body Lift

GailD
on 4/9/06 2:18 am - Racine, WI
Hi July-babies! It's been a while since I've posted, but I still check in quite often! Wondering if those of you that have had PS can help me. I saw a PS on Friday and she's recommending I have a body lift. I need to ask my surgeon and PCP for letters of medical necessity. Does anyone have any sample letters? I'm not looking forward to more surgery, but I do have a hernia that will need to be repaired, so I might as well look into having this excess skin removed. Looks like everyone here is doing great! This July 2004 board has been a lifeline for me. You guys are the best! Appreciate any help you can give me! Gail D. 252/135 -- still maintaining!
Irene S.
on 4/12/06 5:39 am - NJ
Hi Gail, Can't help with the LOMN, but I wanted to wish you the best with the completion of your journey! I hope you'll post lots of pix! Irene
GailD
on 4/13/06 3:37 am - Racine, WI
Thanks, Irene. I'm just really struggling with whether or not to have the ps. I am so happy with the results of the WLS, that I really don't feel a great NEED for plastics...but with the hernia, I figure I might as well go for it! We'll see! I'll keep you all posted. BTW...you look FABULOUS! Love the new avatar! Take care, Gail D.
Irene S.
on 4/14/06 9:41 am - NJ
Hi Gail, Have you gone to more than one ps consult? Why would the plastic surgeon recommend a body lift? If you don't feel the need for plastic surgery, but want to get the hernia repaired, just go for abdominoplasty with hernia repair. The body lift is a huge and expensive surgery and even for those that really WANT it - it's big. Since you seem ambivalent about the need for surgery at all, it doesn't seem to me like it's a good move for you. Of course, things don't always come across in e-mail and postings like they do in person. I don't know of any insurance company that will pay for a body lift. I have Aetna and they will only pay for panniculectomy (removal of hanging abdominal skin) when the pannus hangs at or below that pubis AND there is a history of rashes that are either recurring OR do not respond to treatment. Thanks for compliments - just don't ask ME to take my clothes off - LOL!!! I can't wait for plastics! Unfortunately, I fully expect to have to pay for it out of pocket... Irene
GailD
on 4/14/06 11:08 am - Racine, WI
Thanks for your post, Irene. I really DO want ps...but I've really just started the process. I went to the plastic surgeon just to see what my options are. She said insurance will probably pay for the abdominoplasty, along with the hernia repair, (plus I have rashes under the skin on my lower tummy) but she feels I have a lot of hanging skin on my rear-end that should/could be lifted. I could self-pay for the "back-half" if necessary. I guess I'm not convinced I need the all-around body lift...not that I don't have skin to be removed...but is it really necessary? I'm 52 years old...do I need a perfect body? I kind of like my droopy butt! I think I'd be satisfied with a flat tummy (something I have NEVER had!) I've got an appointment scheduled with my PCP to talk about the hernia...I want to know what KIND of hernia it is, and what will be involved in the hernia surgery, BEFORE I decide on the ps. The hernia repair is, of course, the most important as it could affect my health. I also need to request a LOMN from my PCP, and my WLS surgeon. I have great confidence in the plastic surgeon I've chosen...it's just that I need to decide what I want...and that's going to take a little more time to decide. As soon as I figure it all out, I'll be sure to post on the July board. I need all the advice I can get! Wow! We sure have come a long way since July of 2004! Thanks again for your concern, Gail D.
Irene S.
on 4/14/06 11:56 am - NJ
Hi Gail, I understand MUCH better now. There is often much that doesn't come through in writing/posting. If it's an incisional hernia, they are not usually the dangerous type unless it's so tiny that bowel can slip through and get trapped. If it's that type - and there's no rush to fix it, it'll give you more time to decide what you want. I SO wish I had gotten an incisiona hernia so I'd be able to get some help with the plastics... I know what you mean about the perfect body - I'll be 49 in a few weeks. In my case, I gained and lost weight so many times that even in my 20s I was wiggly-jiggly. So I want to get some of that taken care of. I don't feel comfortable wearing short sleeved shirts where the sleeve ends at the elbow (forget about sleeveless) so for me, it's also about comfort. I know that ps will NOT give me a perfect body. More like I'll end up with a less imperfect one... and hopefully be comfortable enough to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts in the summer. Yes, do keep us posted with what you decide to do! I'll be sending those good vibes your way!
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views