Help! I can eat alot!

soldbyrenee
on 3/31/06 11:06 am - Shelby Twp, MI
Hi Peers, I gained back 10 pds, I really want to be down 20 pds. I think I can eat way to much. Anyone else like this? I am struggling not to gain more???? Renee'
jewelcrown
on 3/31/06 10:16 pm
Hi Renee' I know how you feel. I can eat a lot... Depending on the food I can really indulge if I let myself. Early on it was the pouch that helped with food restriction. More and more, it's discipline (which I'm not very strong in, but working on it!). Most studies indicate that WLS folks gain 10-20 lbs back. Mostly due to relaxed discipline. I read of one member on another board gaining back 90 lbs! Americans in general gain 6 lbs per year. It's weight creep. We get comfortable and lax on the routine. The key is getting back to routine, which is not easy. Go back to basics, you can do it! You may fall off from time to time, but as long as you get back on board quickly you'll maintain. You may even lose some. While I want to lose more, I more concerned about maintaining what I've lost. Hang in there.... Denise 326/220/170 -106 50 lbs to Drs. goal 5 lbs to mini mini goal of 215 by April 24 20 lbs to mini goal of 200 by July 6
Irene S.
on 4/2/06 7:45 am - NJ
This is very sad that someone gained back 90 lbs. It's an indication of 1 of 2 things and conceivably could be a little of both: 1.) Surgical failure. The person's stoma enlarged to the point that food doesn't stay in the pouch and the person is constantly hungry. 2.) Someone with a really bad grazing habit could out-eat the surgery by eating small amounts all day long of the wrong kinds of food. There is a rebound weight gain that is "normal", but 90 lbs is NOT and is an indication of a physical or psychological problem. I hope they're getting the help they need. I'm sure the shame of failure must be so devastating to them.
jewelcrown
on 4/3/06 3:51 am
Hi Irene! I love the new picture!! You are simply gorgeous!!!
Irene S.
on 4/5/06 6:12 am - NJ
Thanks, Denise! You are so sweet!
IrishIze
on 4/1/06 1:34 am - NJ
Renee' - I agree with what Denise says. I know I have to be vigilant. I have promised myself that I will NEVER let myself get over 170 again...I don't care if I have to lock myself in a room...it ain't gonna happen. This has been too tough a struggle and I'm not going to throw away everything I've worked so hard for. Do I have my slips? You bet I do. But I'm finding that the duration is becoming less and less. I'm also finding that when I slip it's not really on bad foods, just too much. Why not join us on our More to Lose and Daily Exercise threads? Every day we post what we plan to eat for the day and what type of exercise we are doing. It's helped me IMMENSELY - I've lost 18 lbs since the beginning of the year. Hope you'll stick around, there's lots of support here! Hugs, Nancy 280/165/155 ~mini goal: 162 by 5/1
Ashli
on 4/3/06 4:15 pm - Salem, OR
BOY OH BOY ...... Do I relate!!!!! Isnt it funny though how the media (And people that dont the basics of the surgery) twist things to make people think that the surgery is an "easy pill"? Makes me want to succeed even more! I have noticed that I can still eat certain things in large amounts....scares me! I KNOW I need to get back to basics. It is SOOOOO good to hear that I am not alone! That alone gives me encouragement. THANKS GUYS!!!! Ashli
MargaretD
on 4/7/06 1:52 am - Nashville, TN
I have gained back from my lowest, but my lowest was too low. When I get above 130 I start to go into basics mode...turn back to shakes for breakfast and chicken, chicken, chicken! One thing that I have really noticed over the past year is how my body and cravings change according to my cycle. I get unbeleivably ravenous with insatiable hunger about one week every month. Rationally, I know it is related to my cycle, but emotionally I feel I have failed the surgery and will continue to eat like a crazy woman. Then it goes away and I have to "remember" to eat three meals. It is harder to stay on the doctors plan the more time that passes and easy to forget you have rules to follow. I keep a basic meal plan/calorie chart on my fridge to remind myself of the good stuff to eat. But, I also have that internal struggle at the grocery store to bypass the cracker/cookie aisle. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes I succumb to the cravings. I try not to beat myself up too much, though. I am most glad that we have this site for support! Margaret 238/128.4
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views