Friday Exercise

Mary M.
on 3/30/06 11:32 pm - Neverland, CA
Strengthen your core A strong "core"--whi*****ludes your lower back, abdominal and hip muscles--makes it easier to maintain good, upright, effortless running form. "When runners with weak cores get tired, they start leaning too far forward," says Janet Hamilton, an Atlanta-area running coach, exercise physiologist, and author of Running Strong & Injury-Free. "That's biomechanically inefficient, and will even limit your lung capacity." Like many coaches, Hamilton considers core strength to be essential. "It ensures an efficient transfer of power from the core to the legs and upper body," she explains. She recommends taking a yoga or Pilates class, or doing the following gym exercises at least twice a week--but not on long or hard running days. (If possible, have a personal trainer demonstrate correct form.) Squats. Start to sit down, knees in line with ankles; stop at "mid-sit" (before feeling pain); come back up. Do two sets of 10 reps. Side bridges. Lie on your side with knees slightly bent. With one forearm on the floor, lift your entire body, keeping straight head-to-foot. Hold 15 to 30 seconds, and do three reps per side. Modified crunches. Lie on your back, with one leg straight and one bent. Place a hand under the small of your back for support. Lift your head and shoulders a few inches off the floor, and hold for three seconds. Do two sets of 10 to 15, alternating left and right leg out. Ball toss. Hurl a weighted medicine ball against a concrete wall. Do two sets of five to 10 throws, alternating between overhead, underhand, and chest throws. So what have you done today? Mary 415/163/147 16 lbs to Personal Goal 17 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
IrishIze
on 3/31/06 2:19 am - NJ
Hi Mary! I did the usual morning WATP WalkBlaster - I never seem to get tired of that. I add arms and do it double time and it's a nice way to start the day. I'd love to go for a walk this afternoon, but my boss is here today and she doesn't like it when I leave my desk..... I'll do the Walk and Kick video this evening.... Hugs, Nancy 280/166/155 ~ mini goal: 162 by 5/1
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views