Dumping?

sradcli74
on 3/14/06 1:26 am
Hi Everyone, I had the worst experience this morning. Shortly after I posted I had an apple and some nuts. It did not go down well, I started to feel anxious and my stomach started cramping to the point where I could barely walk and it felt like the food was stuck in my chest. I felt like I had to vomit, but the only thing that came up was some green stuff that burned a bit. It lasted for about 2 hours. I ended up going to the wellness center to lie down. After about a half hour it still had not passed so the nurse told me to lie on my right side and gave me some mylanta. After a really loud burp. I felt better, the mylanta really helped. The rest of the day I am going to have only tea and soup. I'm too scared to eat something solid. The only other time I experienced something like that was when I had eaten a piece of fried fish...I was probably 8 months to 1 year out. But is this considered a form of dumping. If so I hope to never experience that again. I'm not sure if it was the peanuts or the apple that triggered it, but man oh man, it was scary. Teah
Irene S.
on 3/14/06 4:12 am - NJ
What you describe sounds more like you didn't chew something properly, and at the same time got a huge gas bubble trapped with it. Probably a good idea to give your body a rest. Dumping is more related to sugar or fat consumption. It can involve one or more symptoms: nausea, sweating, rapid heart beat, cramping, diarrhea. I'm sure I missed a few symptoms. Then there is something called late dumping, which is really hypoglycemia or low blood sugar which can begin 1-2 hours after eating. Irene
IrishIze
on 3/14/06 4:21 am - NJ
Oh Teah, poor you!! I've experienced the same sort of thing and I agree with Irene - you probably didn't chew well enough. I also get this if I eat meat or chicken that is too dry. Once I ate a piece of pork and it got stuck like that and oh, it lasted for hours!! I was just about to go to the ER when it started to ease up a bit. I haven't tried pork since! Take it easy - little sips and give your sore pouchy a rest. Hugs, Nancy
sradcli74
on 3/14/06 5:08 am
Thanks Ladies for the advice. When Irene mentioned the symptoms of dumping, I do think I dumped on the fish, because I did have nausea and sweating and all those other symptoms she described. I guess I didn't realize that I was eating too fast and my pouch is sore...I had broth with melted oyster crackers and that went down well. I also had hot tea and that soothed me as well. I forgot to mention that abdomen got hard and achy as well. I do feel much better now. I just tried to drink a minute maid light and let me tell you. Cold liquids don't help either. Its aggravating my already sore pouch. Do you think it would be ok to do a protein drink later?...I've probably only had about 20 grams in total for the day. Have a good night.
(deactivated member)
on 3/14/06 11:01 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Dumping seems to come in two forms...at least for me. When I eat too much sugar, I feel like I have the flu. I'm dizzy, sweaty, clammy, and my heart races. When I eat too much grease, I get nauseous and sometimes throw up. If I eat an EXCESSIVE amount of grease (I've only done this once, and I will NEVER set myself up to do it a second time!), I feel like I am dying. Honest-to-God like I need to be rushed to the hospital. I had stomach cramps worse than being in labor! Sweat poured off my face and dripped onto the floor...I don't even have that in 100 degree weather! Like the others say, it sounds like maybe you ate too fast. Also, sometimes you can get an air bubble trapped with the food which can make you feel pretty bad for a while. Pamela -130
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views