RE: No loss

wlwav
on 3/12/06 4:22 am - Pine Hill, NJ
Hi Everyone, I am so confused here. I have been reading the past posts that you all write. I don't understand how you all eat so much food. My surgeon tells me to eat 2 ozs. every 2 hrs. Well that is almost impossible. I don't think anyone can eat every 2 hrs. I eat the 2 ozs. when I can, but it sure isn't every 2 hrs. I have been at a standstill with the weight loss for about 2 months. I gain a lb. I lose a lb. I keep going back and forth. I have like 20-25 more lbs I want to lose but it seems like it is impossible. I know I am not getting enough protein in each day. My bloodwork came back and my protein level was low. I just ordered some really good protein mix from the Bariatriceating site. They sent me a sample and it was so good. I ordered a big container of it. I also go to the gym like 5-6 times a week. I ride the eliptical for 30-35 min. burn anywhere from 400-500 calories in that 30 min. then I go to the weight room and lift, not heavy, just enough weight that I can handle. And I still have no weight loss. Can anyone give me some suggestions here??? Thank you all. Linda
Irene S.
on 3/12/06 5:31 am - NJ
It sounds like you need to eat more. Especially if your protein levels are low. How much and what kinds of things do you eat? How many calories? When you say that you want to lost 20-25 lbs more, is that realistic? I checked your profile and you wrote that you had lost 160lbs at 1 year, which sounds like a HUGE weight loss if your starting bmi was 54i****hink that's what it said. What is your current height and weight? Finally, in your profile, you mention the excess skin driving you crazy - well that could account for the pounds that you can't seem to lose. By the way: what does your surgeon have to say? Irene
wlwav
on 3/13/06 9:07 am - Pine Hill, NJ
Hi Irene and thank you for responding to my message. Here is basically what I eat: breakfast 1 egg w/cheese on a low carb wrap. Lunch varies but usually I eat lettuce with either tuna or chicken in it, but no more then 2 ozs total. Dinner consists of whatever meat I make for the family. I will eat 2 ozs. of meat to get the protein. In between I might have a sugar free pudding, or some grapes, sometimes I have cheese crackers. During the day I drink water, hot tea, crystal light. I don't really track the calories. My personal goal is to weigh between 150-155. Right now I am 175 lbs. I have lost half of me--175 lbs. total loss. I am 5'7" tall. My surgeon doesn't really say much, he basically concentrates on how much I eat, he tells me 2 ozs every 2 hrs. Before my 18 month checkup I was eating like 3- no more then 4 ozs 3 times a day with a snack in between and my water and juice, during my 18 month checkup he told me no don't do that, eat 2 ozs every 2 hrs. But I cannot eat every 2 hrs. I did just order some protein powder which should help bring my protein levels up. Maybe my body just can't lose anymore??? I don't know. I just think that there needs to be more guidance with the nutrition part of this I went to a nutritionist in the beginning but I didn't like her. She just kept telling me to eat fish and soy and tofu...well I don't like any of that. I told her that but it didn't seem to matter to her. So I didn't go back to see her anymore. I guess it is my own fault but it seems like every surgeon has different methods to the post-op procedures. I appreciate your help. Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon. Linda
Irene S.
on 3/13/06 11:04 pm - NJ
I checked your BMI and it's 27.4. Losing to 150 at your height would give you a BMI of 23.5. If you have a lot of excess skin, AND a large frame it may not be possible for you to lose that 25 lbs. I have a large frame and a fair amount of excess skin. Although I would *like* to have a BMI of 23.5, it's probably not realistic in my case, either, so I'm just trying to get below 25, which would be normal. My surgeon says that it is VERY, VERY difficult for patients to lose 100% of their excess BMI (100% excess BMI loss would give them a BMI below 25). My doctor doesn't have patients eating every 2 hours. Perhaps I shouldn't say this - but eating 2 oz every 2 hours would seem more like grazing to me than eating. When you were eating 3 times a day, how was the weight loss and how did you feel? What is the difficulty with eating every 2 hours for you? Is it finding *time* to eat, or is it that you're not hungry, or still full from the last meal? I know for me that if I don't eat all day, when I finally do eat, I invariably end up not being able to eat - the food will end up stuck or not agreeing with me. On the other hand if I eat in the morning, by dinner I can fit in a goodly amount of food. You are not eating enough protein. It could be that you are not taking in enough calories and protein to allow you to lose any more weight. I would encourage you to see a nutritionist if you have any questions or problems with food/eating. You really need to go to someone who is familiar with wls, since a regular nutritionist is probably not going to understand our nutritional needs and dietary limitations. Keep in touch, and let me know how you're doing. Irene
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/06 12:25 pm - Paradise, CA
It seems kind of strange you asking how we can eat so much food. You mean to tell us that you only eat 2 oz of food at a time and you can't even eat it every two hours. After being a year and a half almost two years out and you can only eat like that. If you ate two ounces on an average of 4 times a day that only equals to 8 oz in a day, it would sure seem hard to believe that you could only survive on 1 cup of food a day...non the less have some serious medical problems goining on. You would be very malnourished only getting in that much food. I think I'd be talking to my doctor if you are only getting in that very small amount of food. And aren't loosing weight you're probably starving your body. And if you're exercising and burning 4-5 hundred calories you are burning lots more than you are even consumming. Most people after a year can eat a cup and a half to two cups at a meal sitting is what my doctor has told me. Anyway talk to you doctor and best of luck to you. I think you seriously need to eat more. Good Luck, Denise K.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views