Weekend Excercise

Mary M.
on 3/10/06 9:53 pm - Neverland, CA
Training More and more amateurs (like you and me) are toeing up to the starting line all over the country. Here's a quick prep course from Mindy Solkin, running coach and owner of The Running Center in New York City on getting ready to run or walk a 5K race. ? The Running Center Pick your event and start training 2 to 3 months before race day. Scout out a place to walk or run. A local park, track, or path near your home is perfect. Just make sure it's safe (choose a place that's well lit) and convenient. Get the right shoes: Shop for your running shoes at a specialty store where a knowledgeable salesperson can help determine what style is best for your stride. If you're planning to run, adopt this training program: Start with a simple run-walk program. Go out every other day for a total of 15 minutes, alternating three minutes of walking with one minute of running. As you gain endurance (by about the third week), switch to equal amounts of running and walking. By week five or six, try running more than walking (alternate three-minute runs with one-minute walks). Slowly build on your 15-minute routine by gradually adding minutes to your total exercise time. By a week before the race, you should be up to 30 minutes. If you're planning to walk, start with 20 minutes three days a week. Each week, add 10 minutes to one of your walks until you build up to a 60-minute walk. What to wear: If the temperature is above 40 to 50 degrees, shorts and a T-shirt are your best bet. If it's below 50 degrees, bring gloves. If it's below 40 degrees, wear running tights and long sleeves. Pick breathable fabrics that wick sweat away from your skin. Avoid cotton because it gets wet and stays wet. So what have you done today? Mary 415/167/147 20 lbs to Personal Goal 13 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
Mary M.
on 3/11/06 2:23 pm - Neverland, CA
On Saturday morning I did a 5k with a friend from support group. This feels real wierd...like I am talking to myself ....Nancy & Monna where are you? Anybody????? Mary
Irene S.
on 3/12/06 5:40 am - NJ
Oh dear. If you're talking to yourself, it's bound to be intellegent conversation, right? Truthfully, I am the exercise slug... I bounced around on my physio ball a little, did a few crunches, and watched a few "free on demand" fitness videos that my cable company has - oh wait! - those don't count since I jus****ched. But other than that... nothing. Unless we start counting walking around Costco... I will be getting a fitness partnership going with my boss. We're planning on signing up for 24 personal training sessions and we'll meet 2x per week in the morning before work. But that won't be til the end of April. Irene
Mary M.
on 3/12/06 8:21 pm - Neverland, CA
Irene, Thanks for stopping by and posting on Sunday...they left me all alone out there this weekend. Great idea to have an excercise buddy as you now have accountability to someone else. A good Personal Trainer is always worth the money. Last year I had hired one for 6 months. Hope to see you posting more often. Thanks again, Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views