Friday 3/10 Exercise

Mary M.
on 3/9/06 11:48 pm - Neverland, CA
Start walking whenever you can. Research from the University of South Carolina shows there's a direct connection between the number of steps you take and the fat you store. People who walk at least 9,000 steps a day are likely to have a healthy, lean body composition, while those taking fewer than the typical 5,000 steps per day are more likely to be overweight. You can blame all the time-saving devices such as Internet shopping and drive-thru banking that have us off our feet and on our butts more than ever. The best way to stave off the effects of sedentary living is to get moving. Start with three 10-minute walks a day, one in the morning, one at lunch, and one before or after dinner. Then sneak in little jaunts whenever possible: Get take out and walk with your friends to a park for lunch; use the ladies room on another floor in your building at work or school; use commercial breaks during television programs as a chance to get up and fold laundry, do some crunches, or take out the trash. You'll be surprised how quickly these little steps add up to big fitness gains. So what have you done today? Mary 415/167/147 20 lbs to Personal Goal 13 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
jewelcrown
on 3/10/06 12:18 am
Hi Mary! This is great stuff... thanks for posting these threads... they are so educational. We have a walk track at work and I try and walk with a colleague for at least 10 minutes per day. It's a good place to vent and regroup before heading back to work. I'm headed to Disneyworld with my daughter tomorrow, so I'll be offline for awhile. A good friend sent me some expensive elastic exercise bands a few years ago. I rarely use them, but I'll take them with me on the trip. I plan to use them for resistance training and walk a lot in the parks. Hopefully, I'll maintain and not gain while I'm gone. So what have I done today... my usual... 1 hr. of water aerobics. I probably won't even attempt Pilates today. When I come back, I plan to get up at 4:00 am and get both Pilates and water aerobics in... If I don't do this stuff in the morning, it just doesn't get done. Eventually, I want to try some classes in dance (Salsa, Swing, etc.) at the local Y for additional exrecise. They have spinning classes too. I don't think my bottom can handle those tiny seats yet, and I don't think my legs can handle pumping the pedals standing up -- at least not yet.... It'll come... it'll come... Have a great weekend, my friend! Denise 326/219/170 -107 49 lbs. to Doctor's Goal
Mary M.
on 3/10/06 5:41 am - Neverland, CA
Denise, Have fun in Disney World and I am confident that you will maintain or even loose some weight despite your trip. If you are staying in a hotel you may want to take advantage of the workout room or pool. When you get back taking up a dance class would be awesome and fun...you may want to have your daughter join you. I workout with my children, I have a son who does lift classes and spin classes with me. My other son does water aerobics with me. And of course we all walk together on Saturdays and Sundays. You may want to try a spin class as it will help you get in additional cardio, there are many who attend that cannot do everything some just sit and pedal along to the music. The key there is that you will be committed to be continually moving during the class. As for the tiny seats you can purchase or some clubs provide cushion covers that are filled with gel. The first few times were the worse after that your body does acclimate to the seats. Talk to you when you get back...you will have to let us how your trip went. Mary
IrishIze
on 3/10/06 1:44 am - NJ
Happy Friday Mare!! I'm just on for a few minutes today - running like a lunatic! I did my WalkBlaster this morning, and depending on what time I get home, I'll do another 30 minutes of something!! Have a great day and I'll see you all tomorrow.!! Hugs, Nancy
Mary M.
on 3/10/06 5:45 am - Neverland, CA
Happy Friday, Nancy, Awesome job fitting in a workout in your hectic day. Some day's are just that way...we run, run, run. Remember be kind to your self. In addition, think of the one-minute tips you can be doing during the course of the day...while standing in line, folding clothes, etc.. Talk to you tomorrow. Mary
Mary M.
on 3/10/06 5:47 am - Neverland, CA
My workout today included 30 minutes on the eliptical, 30 minutes on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the bike. Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views