Thursday, March 2nd Excercise

Mary M.
on 3/1/06 2:40 pm - Neverland, CA
Why you need to stretch. Flexibility is a joint's ability to move through a full range of motion and stretching helps you have a better range of motion and it helps balance muscle groups that might be overused during exercise or as a result of bad posture. If you've got a guilty look on your face, you're not alone: Stretching is typically the most overlooked part of an exercise routine. Now that you know how important it is, I know you won't skip it again, right? Here's why: Why Should You Stretch? You'll improve your performance and reduce your risk of injury You'll reduce muscle soreness and improve your posture You'll help reduce lower back pain You'll increase blood and nutrients to the tissues You'll improve your coordination You'll enjoy your exercise more and help reduce stress How to Stretch Always stretch after you warm up since stretching with cold muscles can cause injury. Warm up with 5-10 minutes of cardio. Aside from stretching after your warm up, you should also stretch after your workout. Hold the position until you feel a gentle pull on your muscle. It shouldn't hurt and bouncing could cause you to tear something fragile and vital! Try to hold each stretch for 15-30 seconds to get some long-term flexibility benefits. Stretching between sets when you're weight training can make that second (or third) set a little bit easier! When you stretch before your workout, you should stretch all of the muscles you'll be using. So, if you're doing a lower body workout, stretch your quads, hamstrings, calves and ankles. Same goes for stretching after your workout; be sure to stretch all the muscles you used. So what have you done today? Mary 415/168/147 21 lbs to Personal Goal 12 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
typaul
on 3/1/06 3:23 pm - Merced, CA
Hi Mary, Thanks for the info! Better late then never I guess. I started to go back to the gym a few days ago and I am so sore I can hardly move. I didn't know about the stretching. Needless to say you must know what you are talking about! So I guess what I need to ask, "what do I do to reverse the curse?" Do you know if taking acetaminophen is okay after WLS. I was taking Celebrex, but I've heard so much negative stuff I quit taking it. I have been taking this over the counter generic stuff since I messed myself up exercising! Thanks again! Blessings!! CAROL
Mary M.
on 3/1/06 9:39 pm - Neverland, CA
Carol, My doctor only reccomends acetaminophen after WLS. Most experts would say the soreness will go away in 3 to 7 days with no special treatment. But there are some things you can do that may reduce the soreness and speed your recovery to some extent. Initially, you should avoid any vigorous activity that increases pain, though you may work the unaffected areas of your body. By exercising unaffected areas or by performing low-impact aerobic activities such as biking or walking at a moderate pace, blood flow can be increased to the affected muscles, which may help diminish soreness. This has always helped me relieve soreness...bascially just keep moving. Other measures include applying ice, gently stretching, and massaging the affected muscles, which may be helpful for some people and poses little risk if done sensibly. Finally, you should allow the soreness, weakness, and stiffness to subside thoroughly before vigorously exercising the affected muscles again, and don't forget to stretch and warm up before your targeted activity. If your pain persists longer than about 7 days or increases despite these measures, I would suugest you consult your physician. Hope this helps. Mary
jewelcrown
on 3/1/06 9:29 pm
Hi Mary!! First day back on my regular schedule... 1 hr water aerobics... Feels really good!!! Have a great day!!! Denise 326/219/170 -107 49 lbs to Drs. goal...
Mary M.
on 3/1/06 9:41 pm - Neverland, CA
Denise, Congradulations on the weightloss and for getting back on track. Great workout Mary
IrishIze
on 3/2/06 1:04 am - NJ
Great info, Mary! I'm also back to my exercise routine. I did the 2 mile WATP WalkBlaster this morning - double time and extra arm work as usual. It felt really good to get back to exercise!!! I plan to do the 2 mile WATP Walk and Kick later on. Hugs, Nancy 280/169/155
Mary M.
on 3/2/06 1:42 pm - Neverland, CA
Nancy, You are simply awesome! Glad to see that you are feeling better. Weigh to GO!!! Mary
Monna W.
on 3/2/06 2:26 am - Susanville, CA
Have to report I am a sluggard this AM. Had planned to go to the gym, but when I woke up at the time I needed to in order to get the exercise in before opening our store, my heel hurt so bad I could hardly move. It felt so good yesterday. Anyway, I lay under my electric blanket to keep warm and worked on stretching the Achilles tendon. After about 30 minutes my heel felt better, but it was too late to go to the gym. Will do 30 minutes on the Gazelle tonight--after warming my muscles and stretching that tendon. Also will do yoga. I always say what I'm planning to do in the evening, because I never get to the computer after work, exercising and spending time with my family. Monna
Mary M.
on 3/2/06 1:50 pm - Neverland, CA
Monna, So to hear that Achilles tendon is acting up again. They are a royal pain...I remember having mine flare up and how tender it was and yet I had to walk on it. The heat from the electric blanket probably did it some good. Hopefully by streching and warming up you were able to use the Gazelle. I know how much you like it...I feel the same about the eliptical and my spin class. Mary
Mary M.
on 3/2/06 1:58 pm - Neverland, CA
My excercise was a 2.5 mile walk. Today, was another training day and more homework. I guess no rest for the wicked. Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views