Health Benefits of Exerci...

Mary M.
on 2/23/06 12:13 am - Neverland, CA
Health Benefits of Exercise and Physical Activity: Reduce the risk of premature death Reduce the risk of developing and/or dying from heart disease Reduce high blood pressure or the risk of developing high blood pressure Reduce high cholesterol or the risk of developing high cholesterol Reduce the risk of developing colon cancer and breast cancer Reduce the risk of developing diabetes Reduce or maintain body weight or body fat Build and maintain healthy muscles, bones, and joints Reduce depression and anxiety Improve psychological well-being Enhanced work, recreation, and sport performance Benefits of Aerobic Exercise: Increased maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max) Improvement in cardivascular/cardiorespiratory function (heart and lungs) Increased maximal cardiac output (amount of blood pumped every minute) Increased maximal stroke volume (amount of blood pumped with each beat) Increased blood volume and ability to carry oxygen Reduced workload on the heart (myocardial oxygen consumption) for any given submaximal exercise intensity Increased blood supply to muscles and ability to use oxygen Lower heart rate and blood pressure at any level of submaximal exercise Increased threshold for lactic acid accumulation Lower resting systolic and diastolic blood pressure in people with high blood pressure Increased HDL Cholesterol (the good cholesterol) Decreased blood triglycerides Reduced body fat and improved weight control Improved glucose tolerance and reduced insulin resistance Benefits of Strength Training: Increased muscular strength Increased strength of tendons and ligaments Potentially improves flexibility (range of motion of joints) Reduced body fat and increased lean body mass (muscle mass) Potentially decreases resting systolic and diastolic blood pressure Positive changes in blood cholesterol Improved glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity Improved strength, balance, and functional ability in older adults So what have you done today? Mary 415/168/147 21 lbs to Personal Goal 12 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
jewelcrown
on 2/23/06 1:50 am
My usual.... 1hr water aerobics - DONE 20 minutes of Pilates.... May try and walk on treadmill... risky though, painful on the feet! Have a great day! Denise 326/221/170 -105 51 stubborn lbs to go!
Mary M.
on 2/23/06 9:05 am - Neverland, CA
Denise, Weigh to go!!! If your gym has an eliptical machine try using it in place to the treadmill as it very easy on the joints and feet. Mary
Monna W.
on 2/23/06 2:26 am - Susanville, CA
Sorry I didn't post yesterday. It was just a chaotic day and I do not deal well with chaos any more. Yesterday I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike and an hour weight lifting at class. My muscles, especially triceps, are complaining profusely today. This evening I will do weight lifting utilizing the balance ball and will try at least 15 minutes on the Gazelle. Monna
Mary M.
on 2/23/06 9:10 am - Neverland, CA
Monna, My dear no worries...however, I starting to look for that whip again. Awesome job getting back into the swing of things especially with all your set backs these past few weeks. Mary
IrishIze
on 2/23/06 3:26 am - NJ
Hi all! I did the 2 mile WATP WalkBlaster (double-time, added arms for extra intensity - that's how I do it now, so I'm not going to make that notation any more..) I also plan to do the 2 mile Walk & Kick this evening. Looks like everyone is doing well - hang in there Monna!! Hugs, Nancy 280/169/155
Mary M.
on 2/23/06 9:12 am - Neverland, CA
Nancy, Great job on your workout!!!! Congrats on getting below 170 again! Mary
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/06 5:16 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
My daughter and I are walking to the library this afternoon. It's maybe only three blocks, but it takes between 10 and fifteen minutes to get there (at my pace). Plus, it's downhill there, uphill back. If I'm feeling particularly motivated, I could add a stint on the treadmill or with my weights...or both. Or not. We'll see! Pamela -130
Mary M.
on 2/23/06 9:25 am - Neverland, CA
Pamela, Thats the spirit...the point is to move and get motivated, it is better to take short walks then no walks at all. In addition, you are incorporating this activity with your daughter. Hills are great way to work your heart, leg and glute muscles. I try to make it a point to walk where-ever and when-ever I can...all those calories expended do add up. Mary
Mary M.
on 2/23/06 3:08 pm - Neverland, CA
My workout today was an early morning spin class. I was busy at work today and cleaned house this evening. Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views