OT - What would you do?

IrishIze
on 2/21/06 5:24 am - NJ
I work in an office and we all sit in little cubicles. On one side of me I have a very nice woman, very shy and retiring, she can barely bring herself to say hello. Today she is wearing the most god-awful perfume and it is making me sneeze and cough and my eyes are watering. It's also giving me a headache. I know most people will say to confront her, but I'm not really good at that, and I also don't want to hurt her feelings. Right now I'm hoping it's a one shot deal and she won't lay it on so heavy tomorrow. If she does, i don't know what I'll do ..... whatcha think? Hugs, Nancy
Mary M.
on 2/21/06 6:03 am - Neverland, CA
Nancy, If this continues, I would gently start a conversation with her by saying that your allergies have started kicking in and let her know that you are allergic to certain frangrances. Tell that you noticed that she is wearing something new and would she mind not wearing that particular perfume to work anymore. If it persists you will need to go to management, advise them of your condition, that you spoke to her and that maybe the best solution is that they move you to another cubicle. Mary
Monna W.
on 2/21/06 6:11 am - Susanville, CA
Well, Nancy, I always have an opinion and as I get older I feel freer to express them. But this situation is not healthy for you. You are right that I am going to tell you you need to confront her. But of course, with kindnes and love. I have many allergies and many perfumes bother me a lot. I try to start by complimenting the perfume, but state that it is really bothering your allergies. Suggest that maybe you could tolerate it if she used less. You have to take care of yourself. Monna
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/06 7:22 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I'm with Monna...You have to say something nice about the perfume before you can say something bad about it. Before you say anything, though, you might want to give it a couple of days. It could be that she was heavy-handed this one time. I've been in this situation a number of times, with perfume, lotions, cigarette smoke, cleaning supplies, and even handsoap. Certain smells either send my respiratory system into fits or makes me queasy, and speaking up has always rectified the situation. You can't help being allergic! Pamela
IrishIze
on 2/22/06 2:09 am - NJ
Thanks everyone - she's still wearing the perfume today, but has definitely toned it down a bit, so I'm not reacting like I did yesterday. I really suffered with it yesterday - I couldn't unstuff my nose until about 10 PM....awful. I really don't understand the need to wear that kind of overpowering scent. My thought has always been that whoever is doing it needs to cover something up.... Again, thanks for the support, and let's hope she drops the bottle.... Hugs, Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views