Wednesday-July Babies Excercise Challenge

Mary M.
on 2/7/06 10:05 pm - Neverland, CA
Pros and Cons of Exercise Machines. Elliptical Pros Easy on joints; low risk of injury; lots of programs (walk, hike, cross-country ski), so you train more muscles. Cons Takes some getting used to; requires good coordination. It's a good choice for you if you ... Have joint problems; want to cross-train; are rehabbing an injury. Stationary bike Pros Easiest machine to multitask on (read, make phone calls, etc.). Cons Boring (all you do is pedal); non-weight bearing, so no help for bones. It's a good choice for you if you ... Are very heavy; are unfit; have joint, balance, or dizziness problems. Miscellaneous Recumbent styles are easier than uprights; padded shorts are strongly recommended. Treadmill Pros Lots of variety (walk, run, hills); weight bearing, so it's good for bones and calorie burning. Cons Can add stress to knee or ankle problems. It's a good choice for you if you ... Can walk, regardless of your fitness level. Rower Pros Works the upper and lower body at the same time; can build some muscle strength and endurance. Cons May aggravate back problems; awkward to get off and on; non-weight bearing, so bones don't benefit as much. It's a good choice for you if you ... Are fit; enjoy rowing; want a challenge. Stairclimber Pros Easy to read on it; good for legs, buttocks, and bones. (It's weight bearing.) Cons Bad for knee or ankle problems; potential for repetitive use injuries. It's a good choice for you if you ... Are fit; looking for a big calorie burner; want to do something else while exercising. So what have you done today? Mary 415/168/147 21 lbs to Personal Goal 12 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
jewelcrown
on 2/7/06 10:36 pm
I got out of bed today and headed for the pool at 5:00 am... 1 hr of water aerobics.... hopefully 20-30 minutes of pilates tonight!! Have a great day!! Denise 326/224/170 -102 54 stubborn lbs to go to Drs. goal
Mary M.
on 2/8/06 3:15 am - Neverland, CA
YEAH Denise!!!! Way to Go!!!! What dedication at 5:00 am...I am such a wimp in the Fall & Winter.....I may wake up early, however, I do not get out from underneath the covers until just before 6:00 am. I like to stay warm and toasty. Keep up the good work! Mary
Monna W.
on 2/8/06 2:42 am - Susanville, CA
I did not do the Gazelle yesterday or anything else--way too tired. I did not want to get out of bed this morning, but I did and went to the gym--unable to tolerate the treadmill because of my heel so did 15 minutes on the recumbent bike (certainly works different muscles) and then an hour of weight lifting. Mary, what you getting your master's in? I got my in 1999 and it was hard work, but when they put the stole on me and hung the Sigma Theta Tau (honorary nursing fraternity) around my neck, it was the best moment in my life surpassed only by the birth of my children. Congratulations on your endeavors. Monna 389/223/150
Mary M.
on 2/8/06 3:11 am - Neverland, CA
Monna, I am glad that you were able to motivate yourself into getting out of bed. I truly have empathy for your pain. The recumbent bike was the first piece of cardio equipment that I used after having surgery; it is a great piece of equipment. My hips and thighs were wider then the bike at the time and would rub against the heart monitor handles that would cause large sores on my saddlebags. I wore several large bandages each day over that area for months. My Master's is in Computer Information Systems and it is a great amount of work. I hope to complete my last class in August 2006, begin my PS shortly thereafter. After I recover from all the PS and am back both physically, mentally and emotionally prepared, I plan on pursuing my PHd. in the same field. Hope your feeling better soon and keep up the great excercise routine. When there is a will, there is a way. & ((((hugs)))) Mary
Mary M.
on 2/8/06 3:27 am - Neverland, CA
Today's workout: Walked 1 mile to church this morning listened to mass and walked back 1 mile. Needed spiritual time to start my day off right....yesterday, I was taxed physically, mentally and emotionally. This evening will consist of weight lifting upper and lower body and 1 hr spin class. Mary 415/168/147 21 lbs to Personal Goal 12 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
IrishIze
on 2/8/06 10:17 pm - NJ
Oops, forgot to log in my exercise for yesterday.... Did the 2 mile WATP WalkBlaster in the morning and the 2 mile WATP for Abs with resistance belt in the evening. Still waiting for my new tapes.... Hugs, Nancy 280/172/055
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views