Thursday Edition - July Babies Excercise Challenge

Mary M.
on 2/2/06 12:51 am - Neverland, CA
Tips for Exercise Success Swimming, cycling, jogging, skiing, aerobic dancing, walking or any of dozens of other activities can help your heart. They all cause you to feel warm, perspire and breathe heavily without being out of breath and without feeling any burning sensation in your muscles. Whether it is a structured exercise program or just part of your daily routine, all exercise adds up to a healthier heart. Here are some tips for exercise success: If you've been sedentary for a long time, are overweight, have a high risk of coronary heart disease or some other chronic health problem, see your doctor for a medical evaluation before beginning a physical activity program. Choose activities that are fun, not exhausting. Add variety. Develop a repertoire of several activities that you can enjoy. That way, exercise will never seem boring or routine. Wear comfortable, properly fitted footwear and comfortable, loose-fitting clothing appropriate for the weather and the activity. Find a convenient time and place to do activities. Try to make it a habit, but be flexible. If you miss an exercise opportunity, work activity into your day another way. Use music to keep you entertained. Surround yourself with supportive people. Decide what kind of support you need. Do you want them to remind you to exercise? Ask about your progress? Participate with you regularly or occasionally? Allow you time to exercise by yourself? Go with you to a special event, such as a 10K walk/run? Be understanding when you get up early to exercise? Spend time with the children while you exercise? Try not to ask you to change your exercise routine? Share your activity time with others. Make a date with a family member, friend or co-worker. Be an active role model for your children. Don't overdo it. Do low-to-moderate-level activities, especially at first. You can slowly increase the duration and intensity of your activities as you become more fit. Over time, work up to exercising on most days of the week for 30-60 minutes. Keep a record of your activities. Reward yourself at special milestones. Nothing motivates like success. So what have you done today? Mary 415/169/147 22 lbs to Personal Goal 11 lbs below Doctors Goal In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
IrishIze
on 2/2/06 2:47 am - NJ
Mary - where do you find these terrific tidbits? I love them!! Did the usual 2 mile WalkBlaster this morning, will probably do the 2.5 Walk and Jog tonight. Hugs, Nancy 280/172/155
Mary M.
on 2/2/06 9:38 am - Neverland, CA
Nancy, For me to be successful I need to keep nutrition and excercise in the forefront of my day. So I am contiually looking for such tidbits to keep myself motivated. Great workout! Mary
Monna W.
on 2/2/06 3:12 am - Susanville, CA
Mary, Your posts are so informative. Thanks for sharing them. Yesterday was not a great day foodwise, but great as far as exercise is concerned. I love going to the gym. This is the first time I have every gone to a gym and had a trainer develop a program specifically for me. She is very careful about the weight she has me use because I have such a light limit. I had my body fat done yesterday--44.8%. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and did a mile in 24 minutes--the fastest I have done since I was a young woman. I actually got up to about 3 mph for a while. My goal is to be able to do a 14 minute mile. I did 30 crunches. My muscles in all parts of my body are so weak that even the light weights I have to use, stresses my muscles. But I feel so good when I am done. The class is scheduled only for Mon and Wed, but she told us yesterday that she would have the gym open Friday, so I am planning on going. I just love it. Who would have thought. Then when I got home I did my regular hour on the Gazelle. Today I will do an hour on the Gazelle and 30 minutes conditioning exercising using my ball. Mary, I am like you in being so surprised to enjoy this exercising so much. Monna
Mary M.
on 2/2/06 9:56 am - Neverland, CA
Monna, It is a pleasure to share with my July sisters. We each have days where either food & excercise could be better...heck somedays both. I have learned not to beatup on myself, rather I pick myself by my bootstraps and get back on my journey. I bet you are all jazzed about having a trainer personalize a program for you. I loved working with a personal trainer. You will be a six-packing mama before you know it...I cannot wait to see your guns. As you build muscle your fat% will drop. Mary
Mary M.
on 2/2/06 10:01 am - Neverland, CA
Tonight is a 1hr Salsa Class and 1hr Pilates. Mary
jewelcrown
on 2/2/06 10:57 pm
Good morning!! 1 hr. water aerobics - DONE! 20 minutes Pilates -- just can't get to 30... way to soar!!! Have a great weekend!! Denise 326/224/170 -102 54 lbs to go to Drs Goal!
Mary M.
on 2/2/06 11:27 pm - Neverland, CA
Denise, Way-to-Go getting your excercise out of the way this morning! Keep up the good work and you will soon be reaping the benefits. Hope you have a great weekend. Any special plans? Mary
jewelcrown
on 2/2/06 11:45 pm
Lots of domestic household stuff to do... Lots of "taxi-mom" errands... Nothing earthshattering... How about you?
Mary M.
on 2/3/06 10:51 pm - Neverland, CA
Saturday morning, I am sending one kid off to a retreat. Then off to do shopping, some walking and other errands... Sunday morning I will be participating in my first ever 5K walk and watch some football. Hope you have a great weekend and besides the domestic goddess items on your list (trust me I know how a weekend can be spent running myself ragged), do something fun! Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views