Menu Suggestions...Side Dishes

IrishIze
on 1/25/06 9:15 pm - NJ
I'm getting sick of the nightly dinners of some sort of meat and a side salad. Any ideas on some other kind of low carb side dish? I'm planning on a couple of Boca cheeseburgers tonight, and I'd love to have something other than a salad to go with them. Suggestions anyone? Hugs, Nancy 280/173/155
sradcli74
on 1/25/06 9:27 pm
I'm glad you asked this question. I've been having broccoli slaw or rainbow salad. Its in the same area as the bagged salads. Its a mixture of shredded broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and red cabbage. With a little fat free dressing of your choice its a good alternative to the regular side salad. I usually use fat free honey mustard on mine. Its delicious. I've also cooked it. Steamed in the microwave for a few minutes with garlic pepper is also a good chioce. Teah
Mary M.
on 1/25/06 11:41 pm - Neverland, CA
Vegetable Medley 2 medium zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces 1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces 1 pound fresh aspaparagus, cut into bite-size pieces 1 red onion, cut into bite-size pieces 3 tablespoons olive oil 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 tst black pepper 2 - 3 cloves crused garlic (optional) Heat the oven to 450, In a large roasting pan, combine the veges add the olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to mix and coat, spread in a single layer. Roast for 30 minutes, stiring occasionally, until veges are lightly brown and tender. For normal servings this produces 4. Nutrition Per Serving: 169 cal, 5 g protien, 15 carbs, 11 g fat, 5 g fiber I twick this recipe and add different veges to suit my needs (I only use asparagus if I find young and tender stalks, sometimes I will add mushrooms, eggplant, or just more zucchini and bell peppers), I use the veges as a side dish, in my omeletes. I eat about 1/8 to 1/4 cup serving so the calorie intake is much less. My family and friends love this side dish. Mary
Mary M.
on 1/26/06 12:32 am - Neverland, CA
Just thought of another recipes: Oriental Cabbage Salad 1/2 small head green cabbage shredded - I but the pre-shredded (thinly) 3 scallions or green onions 2 tblsp sesame oil 2 tblsp rice wine vinegar 2 tblsp sesame seeds, toasted 1/2 - 1 packet splenda (optional) Combine, toss wel and chill until ready to serve. Add sesame seed before serving. Oriental Broccoli Slaw 1 lb broccoli slaw 2 bunches chopped green onions 1 cup sunflower seed (inside only) 1 cup slivered toasted almonds (bake at 375 about 6 minutes) Dressing: 1 cup oil (I use olive or cannola) 1/2 cp splenda scant 1/3 cp white vinegar 2 pkg seasoning from Oriental Ramen Noodles (I do not use the noodles since WLS) Rinse slaw & mix w/onions, sunflower seeds and almonds. Mix dressing in a seperate bowl. Toss salad and dressing & refridgerate at least 1 hr before serving. Best when chilled overnight. enjoy, Mary
IrishIze
on 1/26/06 3:04 am - NJ
Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to try all of it!! YUM!
Monna W.
on 1/26/06 4:40 am - Susanville, CA
One thing I really like and although it is not real low in carbs, the carbs are high quality and adds fiber to your diet. Cooked whole grain pasta--whole wheat, quinoa, spelt, amaranth, or other whole grain of your choice--and cooled steamed vegetables--onions, garlic, peppers, summer squash of any kind--cooled Mix together with a little dressing made of rice vinegar, a little soy sauce, a little sesame oil. If you like spicey foods, add a dash of tabasco or similar hot sauce. Sorry, guys, I don't have amounts, I just put it all together. You can use a little pasta and it is not too high in carbs. Monna
Irene S.
on 1/26/06 9:40 am - NJ
I tend to have trouble eating plain meat. I go more for the casserole type dishes. It's easy to make relatively low carb versions of bazillions of stews, focusing on veggies with perhaps a tiny accent of potato, barley or whatever. Irene
Lalocaweta
on 1/26/06 10:10 am - Spicewood, TX
Have to ask - how do ya'll eat a couple of Boca burgers at one time? I eat about 3/4's of one and I am full and hurting.... Anne 263 starting 150 goal 129 current
IrishIze
on 1/26/06 10:05 pm - NJ
I don't know Anne, some things that aren't too dense I can eat quite a bit...last night I planned on two Boca's and only got through about 1.25 before I was was too full to continue. On the other hand, one teaspoon of Chinese sticky rice and I'm out of commission for hours.... If I remember correctly you've had problems with nausea and keeping foods down all along, right? I see you're 20 lbs. under your goal - are you still having problems? Hugs, Nancy 280/172/155
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views