The dreaded 'BM' survey....

IrishIze
on 1/24/06 9:38 pm - NJ
I see from some recent posts that people have been having abdominal pain and there have been references to not having bowel movements. I have to say that when I am in diet mode, I can go a week or more without a BM. Right now I feel so bloated and wish I could go, but I just can't. I tried a suppository this morning, but nothing...I'm thinking of doing a Fleet enema this weekend if I don't go before. I really feel uncomfortable, like there's a bowling ball right underneath my bellybutton. So, the questions are: how often do you go, do you have constipation problems since WLS, and any tips on helping to stay regular? C'mon now, 'fess up ~ we're family here ~ we can talk about ANTHING!!! Hugs, Nancy 280/174/155
sradcli74
on 1/24/06 9:42 pm
I usually have a BM every day. Sometimes more than once a day. I get in all my water on most days and be sure to incorporate fruits and vegetables everyday to keep things moving. I do notice when I eat less fruit and veggies that things sometimes move a little slow. But that's it. Take care Teah
T R.
on 1/24/06 10:29 pm
I actually have a problem with that whole dreaded subject. I have always had a tough time with it. Even as a child, and now that I am older it isn't any better. My surgeon put me on lactulose daily. As long as I get my water in, I have a bm everyday. If I forget to take the lactulose, for even one day, I am cramping like hell and get backed up quick, then it can take a week to get straight again. The lactulose is really sweet and it makes me a little bit sick to my stomach, but I take it at bedtime and can usually deal with it by sleeping through it. But I guess its my trade off.. I have to feel like crap to actually take a crap! LOL At least things are moving like normal now, its very unhealthy otherwise. Tami 275/163/145 18#s 2 Go!
Monna W.
on 1/25/06 2:53 am - Susanville, CA
I do not have constipation problems at all. I am fortunate that it has never been a problem for me. I do try to get whole grains and fruits into my diet everyday. I am so regular that I get up in the morning, take my medications, brush my teeth, and sit on the potty. This is one area I have no understanding of rather than intellectual and clinical. Monna
on my W.
on 1/25/06 10:57 am - Canada
Hi Nancy, I have a real problem in this area. The pain so so bad that I tell myself it can't just be lack of a BM. Sometimes I get so bad I have to take a laxitive twice daily to get things going but then I know that that is not the best thing to do because the doctor said I can become dependent on them and my bowels won't work without them. I usually go every day but every so often I run into problems and NOTHING but a laxative to flush out the system will help. The pain so so bad and I feel sooooo bloated. Ice Cream works wonders too. Twice this past year I was very constipated and ate some ice cream, (which I normally never touch)...well within 30 minutes my whole system was clear and I felt like I had just given birth. It is a real problem but judging by the posts....we are not alone.... Karen
Sherri_B
on 1/25/06 11:11 am - washington, MO
I just got on to look for just this subject . I am having the worst pain today off and on . I am gassy so that could be it . i am bloated as well . I did change my eating habits today to eating every 3 hrs . man i am hungry .. I do drink alot of water that is all i drink i do have 1 cup of coffee in morning usually 1/2 cup . and i have been drinking the achiev 1 drink 1 a day sometimes 2 . i see they have caffeine so i may be a lil dehydrated from that i am not sure . but i usually have 1 bowel movment a week . I have always had a major problem in this area . But i go days and some weeks every other day .. i am looking for help here as well
Mary M.
on 1/25/06 11:57 pm - Neverland, CA
I normally never had this problem prior to WLS. When I first had the surgery I was plagued with diareha. Then came the other problem with BM, until I was allowed to incorperate more veges into my deit. Since that time it has been hit or miss. Somedays I function well other days I seem to backup. When I backup, I either take a product Colon Clenz or make a cup of Smooth Move tea both of which I purchase at GNC. The longer I wait to get relief the more crampy I become, sometimes to the point of extreme pain. Mary 415/172/147
jewelcrown
on 1/26/06 1:18 am
Generally I have movements every day... right after coffee in the morning and sometimes throughout the day. I notice, however, when I've upped protein and reduced carbs, movements are less frequent... Once every other day or so... I guess that's why experts don't recommend high protein for too long period of time. Good carbs need to have their place in the sun! Denise 326/222/170
deeno
on 1/26/06 7:21 pm - Kokomo, IN
I am usually a Regular Rita without any bowel troubles....until now! AFter plastic surgery, I'm just not going and I really, really need to. Part of it is the drugs from the surgery and the pain killers I'm taking now. Part of it is fear to go, since I'm gonna have to use my abdomen muscles and, it will just plain hurt. I ate veggies and fruits and drank lots of water yesterday, but "no go". I think I'm going to go with a suppository today of some kind. But this bloating feels awful and I know I'll feel beter when it's gone. I've never used an enema or suppository, so this is new territory for me. Wish me luck! *wink* Deeno
IrishIze
on 1/26/06 10:14 pm - NJ
Deeno, I never used suppositories or enemas either, but with this newest bout, I had to do something!! I had gone about 5 days with nothing, so I tried the suppository one day - Nuttin'. Then I tried the enema (that's really a trip...) the next day - Nuttin'. Last evening (day 7 ) I took MOM, and finally I went some last night and then again this morning. The trick with the MOM is to take just enough but not so much that you're cramping and feeling like you have to go every 10 minutes...I find for me about 1/2 - 3/4 the dosage cup. Good luck!! Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views