July Babies Excercise Challenge

Mary M.
on 1/24/06 2:48 am - Neverland, CA
Spinning Your Way to Fitness - by Vicki Pierson,Personal Trainer Spinning classes are surging in popularity these days, attracting fitness enthusiasts who want to attain a high level of mental and physical fitness. Spinning offers a unique and fun workout for all people of all ages, at all levels of fitness. What is spinning? Created by Johnny G., a world-class ultra-distance cyclist, it's a stationery bicycle program primarily aimed at achieving maximum energy output. By adjusting the seat, hand position and the resistance on the flywheel, a rider can simulate the feel of riding outdoors. A person can burn an average of 500 calories in a 40-minute spinning session. This philosophy of being mentally and physically fit is the basis of spinning. Coupled with mental empowerment and discipline techniques, spinning uses proven athletic training principles to create a workout that is both physically and mentally invigorating and challenging. Spinning emphasizes everyone's individual needs, regardless of athletic ability, taught in a group atmosphere with a motivational instructor. Spinning instructors are required to partake in a nine month course of instruction before they become certified spinning instructors. Spinning is just as much an inspirational workout as a physical one. Participants are encouraged to explore the journey of health, fitness and imagination-- to experience the reality, not just the theory, of the mind-body connection. Riders are encouraged to wear a heart rate monitor to measure their heart rate throughout the workout. According to Johnny G, the heart rate monitor may be the most important piece of training, teaching, and cycling equipment one can own. "It takes the guesswork out of training and gives the participant a way to monitor and manage the intensity of their workout," he says. A spinning class consists of a warm-up, a 40-minute moderate to high intensity cardiovascular work out, a cool-down and stretching. Typically, the cycles are set up in a separate room and the instructor vocally guides riders through various levels of difficulty, describing a mental journey for the participants to visualize. For example, an instructor may ask the riders to increase the resistance on their cycles and visualize a ride through the foothills of the mountains or reduce the cycle's resistance and picture riding along the coast of the ocean. Throughout the class, riders listen to music that conveys the emotional messages for the various parts of the journey. Musical selections cover the spectrum from blues and jazz music to New Age and rock n' roll. With spinning classes being offered in nearly every state in the country, and in 30 countries worldwide, people at all fitness levels are putting the pedal to the test and finding the champion within. So what have you done today? Mary In the words of Bill Phillips': "Exercise is the spark. Nutrition is the fuel. Without both, there can be no flame -- no results."
IrishIze
on 1/24/06 3:00 am - NJ
I did a 2 mile WATP WalkBlaster session this morning - 30 minutes of aerobic and strength training. I'm going to do a 2.5 mile Walk and Jog session tonight. Hugs, Nancy 280/173/155
Mary M.
on 1/24/06 10:43 am - Neverland, CA
Nancy, Way to go! Great workout! Mary
Monna W.
on 1/24/06 4:32 am - Susanville, CA
Mary, I really appreciate the great articles you post. Spinning had me going, though, for a moment. I am a fiber artist and I read "spinning" and thought "great, now I can count try to spin my own yarn as exercise." Well, spinning on a bike is almost as good. I did not exercise yesterday because I have felt so rotten with this cold. I do plan 45 minutes at the minimum with my Gazelle tonight and tomorrow starts my conditioning class at the college. Am looking forward to that. Monna
Mary M.
on 1/24/06 10:45 am - Neverland, CA
Monna, I hope your feeling better. Last month I had a cold that kept me miserable for 2 weeks. Let me know how you liked your conditioning class...sounds interesting. Mary
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/06 5:26 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Yesterday, I walked for 30 minutes and lifted weights. In a little bit, I'm heading over to the high school track to walk AND try jogging...a little. As much as I dread exercise, I know I have to do it. Pamela -130
Mary M.
on 1/24/06 10:50 am - Neverland, CA
Pamela, Great job yesterday and cardio is perfect for today. Always remember to give your body a break after resistance training. My son asked me last night while I was driving to the gym if I really loved to excercise so much. I told him honestly that in the beginning I did it because I knew I had to make the effort, then as the pounds came off and I like the results I was getting, and now I am just plain old hooked on the endorphine rush that I get. Mary
Mary M.
on 1/24/06 10:52 am - Neverland, CA
Today, was my cardio day and the gym is still packed with the New Years Resolution folks, so I stuck to walking. 2.5 miles - 39.53 minutes HR 121 avg. Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views