Reassuring ultrasound...pg update

Traci72
on 8/30/05 3:08 pm - Hastings, MN
had not posted this earlier as I was trying to convince myself that nothing was wrong. Now that I know it, I feel free to post. I had gotten a call last week about "something" they found during my '20wk' U/S. There was a cyst on the right ventricle of the baby's brain, which was most likely nothing, but could also possibly indicate she had trisomy 18. That is basically a death sentence to the baby. Most w/T18 are stillborn, those that aren't die w/in the 1st year. Not something I wanted to think about. We met w/a perinatologist today and sat/laid through 2 U/S's (1 by the ultrasonographer and 1 by the peri) Both found that everything was formed correctly...no club foot (feet and leg bones were all same size and formed well), hands well formed and could open and close, heart was excellent, nose and lips showed no signs of cleft palette/lip, ears and eyes were in correct position and were proportional and best of all....NO CYST!!! The peri's theory is that it wasn't a cyst at all, but a pocket of fluid that got trapped as the folds of the brain were forming. He says it's actually quite common, and as the brain grows rather rapidly, the pocket of fluid works itself out fairly quickly (best way to explain why a "5.4mm cyst" was there 12 days ago, but not now). Here's the validation for me.... He mentioned that both he and the other gal got 'significantly' different measurements of the baby from the U/S 12 days ago. I told him that the previous radiologist had "altered" my LMP to make it "fit better" w/the measurements he was getting. I explained about my charting and when my LMP really was and he got rather skeptical. (about my charting) He asked if I was temping. I said it was a small part of it, but that for the last almost 5yrs I've been charting by checking my cervical position, cervical mucous and temping, and that I do all my charting on the computer, so I have all those years worth of charting if anyone wanted to analyze them. As soon as I mentioned checking my CP and CM, his eyes got HUGE!! The measurements they got today are exactly right on where I said they should be!!!!!! He said that along w/his report he sends my Dr, he's going to include a HANDWRITTEN note to her that he is "strongly suggesting" that she change my EDD to 1/9/05 based on "more ACCURATE and RELIABLE info" rather than the earlier U/S's. (she has reluctantly been going by the early U/S EDD because of my ins, but has always agreed w/me on my dates) I felt so validated to hear this man who has been doing this for decades, agree that I actually knew more about this than the other "professionals" and is standing behind me and the education and knowledge I have in this. I've spent YEARS educating myself about fertility, my body, the changes that take place, etc. Just checking even just one of the areas I monitor I can tell you exactly where I am in my cycle. That and of course I couldn't possibly have gotten pg when they said I did. (you can NOT conceive BEFORE you have sex. Medically, scientifically and physically IMPOSSIBLE!!) Oh, and she's STILL a GIRL!!! I feel like a mountain has been lifted off my shoulders now that I know for sure everything is all right w/her. Now I can begin to really enjoy being pg! Traci 21wks 2days *NEW* EDD 1/9/05
ileanak
on 8/30/05 10:18 pm - San Antonio, TX
What a wonderful relief Traci! Congratulations! Ileana
Lori L.
on 8/30/05 10:52 pm - Southern, NJ
That is the best news I have heard all day!!! Congratulations to you and your family. What a relief! ~Lori
IrishIze
on 8/30/05 10:56 pm - NJ
Oh, Traci, I'm so glad that everything is fine with our little July baby baby!! What a relief that must be for you (and for us too) !!! Hope all continues to go well, and thanks so much for updating us!! Hugs, Nancy -115
Danelle72
on 8/31/05 12:58 am - Las Vegas, NV
Traci, What a great feeling that must be. I am so glad that you and the baby are doing well and that everything is alright. Thanks for keeping us posted on how the baby is doing. I am so happy and excited for you. Take care of you and that beautiful baby that is growing inside of you. Congrats. Love Danelle
Tara118
on 8/31/05 8:21 pm - Trenton, OH
I am so happy to hear that things are going well now Traci!! I would have been so scared. What a relief!!! You have done well with your research and experience often outweighs "education". So...What is her name?? Tara 305/160 -145 (at goal)
Deejay
on 9/3/05 3:38 am - Sparks, NV
Wow Traci what a great update, I'm so happy to hear that everything is going great! Its nice to be validated for knowing what your talking about too. I know exactly what you mean, I went through infertility for 6 yrs too and there's no one in this world that knows more about our bodies then a women with infertility who is actively trying to conceive. I started a parenting website/message board with my best friend (who I met on an infertility site) and we both now have kids along with many other friends who came with us. We have a lot of fun and many women are pg and many pg after a long battle of infertility. If you'd like to join us the site is chattinaboutbabies.com We have tons of different forums, parenting, pregnancy, infertility, weight loss, sex, entertainment, etc etc. We have contests and games and its like another family. Anyway, I'm happy to hear about your wonderful update. Do you have any names picked out yet? Hugs, Deejay 259/154/150 -105
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views