Advice needed..

Sandie F.
on 8/27/05 2:57 pm - Chicago, IL
Lap Band on 07/19/04 with
I had my surgery July 18, 2004. I have lost approx. 67lbs. I would like to lose about 35lbs. more. When I got my first real fill in Sept. 2004 I really started losing the weight. The band was tight and it really constricted the food. It was awsome! Then I went in for another fill because I felt the band was losing up. This was in June 2005. Well when he filled it, he must of also pulled some saline out because it was much looser than before I went in. I called him and he said that I might have a leak, so I went back in, he checked it and said he didn't see anything so he proceeded filling it again. I left and it must of stayed sort of tight for about a day but never as tight as when I went in the first time. So I went back and asked him if he could tighten it more because it's looser than it was the first time I came back in June (hope this is making sense). . Anyway, needless to say the band is wide open, I can basically eat anything. I am not sure why this is happening and I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Please Advise. I called him back and am hoping he will see what is going on. I'm still waiting for a call back. So far since June 2005 I have had three fills. Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/05 11:36 pm - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
From what I understand, sometimes it takes time to get the band just right. You might have gotten really lucky when you got your first fill and wound up with the right amount. My mother, who had lapband surgery in April, has had three fills already, and can STILL eat a lot more than she should be able to. She's fine immediately following a fill, but after a few days, it's her dieting habits that have to take over. Sometimes she wishes that she had gotten the RNY instead of the band, because the band hasn't really given her much of an edge on her weight loss. However, her surgeon told her that it might take a year to get the fill amount just right. And you, having gotten a perfect fill right away, might now have to struggle through a year of adjustments. BUT, you have the option of adjustments, which is something we RNYers don't have. Hang in there...I'm sure you're going to be just fine! Pamela -111 STILL!
us2bfat C.
on 8/28/05 8:49 pm - selden, NY
my advice is to go in for the full gastric by pass i have heard way to many horror storys like yours .... and many many revisions of people that have had the lap band ...... sorry if im sounding blunt but the gastric by pass saved my life and i have never been happier Stacy 232/137
Irene S.
on 8/29/05 1:40 am - NJ
Hi Sandie, I'm really sorry to hear that you're having a problem. Sounds to me like a band failure problem. You should INSIST that this be investigated and if necessary the band should be replaced. I wonder if there is any garantee by the band mfr. against failure? Good luck. irene
Sandie F.
on 8/31/05 1:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Lap Band on 07/19/04 with
Thank you all for the advice. I will use the info you gave me and have a nice "BIG" talk w/ my doctor.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views