A hello from 7/2005 board and questions

AmyD
on 8/9/05 8:39 am - pomona, CA
Hello everyone from the July 2005 boards... Hi I am Amy. I just had surgery on July 26th and so far I have lost 18 lbs. I have been checking out your profiles and I must say you all look wonderful. Your all such an inspiration to me. So many changes in one year! I really enjoy looking at your before and afters. Can't wait till July 2006 for me. I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions since you all have a year experience. How long did you all have the ketosis breath? and Did any of you have insomnia after surgery? If so how long did it last? (I'm really getting tired of not sleeping) Thanks so much, Amy
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/05 8:53 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
The bad breath thing lasted for about a month, when I was finally able to add a lot of different foods into my diet. If your doctor has you on a low-carb diet, the metallic taste in your mouth could last longer. As for insomnia...Right after surgery, I had a hard time sleeping. Mostly, I was afraid I'd go to sleep and not wake up, worried about blood clots and all the other bad things that can happen after surgery. Are you having any scary thoughts late at night? Most of the time, insomnia is caused by stress, although I supposed trauma to the body (like surgery) could also have an effect. Once I was completely healed and felt like I was "out of the woods," sleep returned to me. Until then, you can use the sleepless nights as a chance to get caught up on your reading, research of fun meal recipes, or making a weight loss scrapbook (all of which I did). Pamela 352/241/150
us2bfat C.
on 8/9/05 11:48 am - selden, NY
this has been an awesome experience for me from start to finish i hope you have the same thing ....feel free to ask us anything this whole board has become like family thru all the trials and tribulations ........ nice to meet you and keep up the good work Stacy 232/137
Duval Diva
on 8/9/05 11:47 pm - JACKSONVILLE, FL
WELCOM TO THE LOOSER SIDE WHERE YOU TOO! CAN BE THE BIGGEST LOOSER YOU WANT TO BE
Sunny
on 8/10/05 2:07 am - Sunny, FL
Hey Amy, Congratulations on your surgery the year will fly by before you know it....My experience has been great don't remember any bad breath or sleepless nights..... But if you have any other questions I'd be glad to help you as much as I can....... Cecilia 250/125
AmyD
on 8/10/05 2:25 am - pomona, CA
Thanks everyone for your help. All my best to you all, Amy
deeno
on 8/10/05 2:26 am - Kokomo, IN
Hi Amy Ask your dietician if you can have a little grape juice to fight the Ketosis breath. This is what my dietician recommended for me, and it helped. I don't recall having any lack of sleep issues, but it could just be the surgery drugs getting out of your system (those narcotics can really mess you up), or perhaps that "kid on Christmas" feeling of excitement knowing that you're getting healthier by the second!! *wink* If it continues, check with your surgeon to see if you can try an OTC sleep aid. I have been known to take a Benedryl (like a tylenol PM) to help me sleep. The pills are tiny and probably wont hurt your stomach---but as always, ask your doctor first!! Good luck in the year to come! Come back in time to the July 2004 board any time. As you can see, we are still pretty active here--we've got an exceptionally good group. Diana
GailD
on 8/10/05 3:56 am - Racine, WI
Welcome to the losing side, Amy! Glad you checked in here. The July 2004 babies are a good source of information! (Although I still can't believe a year has passed since surgery!) I never had the ketosis...and I only had trouble sleeping due to my incision (I had Open RNY)...other than that...it's been a smooth journey! Hope your year goes as fast as mine did -- enjoy the ride -- it's awesome! Feel free to stop in at any time to ask questions! We'd love to help! Gail D. 252/135 (AT GOAL!) -117
Deejay
on 8/10/05 8:10 am - Sparks, NV
Hi Amy!! Congrats on your surgery! I can hardly believe its been a year already. I had ketosis for the first 2 months and the breath was horrible. It went away once I was able to add more food and a carb here or there. Things will change for you so much its unreal. I've never had a problem sleeping but I suppose thats related to being a mom of 4yr old triplets, I get sleep whenever I possibly can! haha Well good luck to you on this journey and feel free to stop by anytime you need anything! Your in for one hell of a ride! Hugs, Deejay 259/156/150 -103 6 more til goal!
IrishIze
on 8/11/05 5:26 am - NJ
Welcome, Amy!! Glad you came by to see us, and congratulations on being on the losing side!! It's been an incredible ride and I for one wouldn't change a thing (including the ketosis - kinda forgot about that!). I had a bit of insomnia, but I think it was because I wasn't doing much and don't forget, your body is going through a lot of changes. It'll catch up to itself, not to worry. Hugs, Nancy -116
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views