Great News @1 yr appt.

lsutiger80
on 7/23/05 6:36 am - Metairie, LA
Well, I had my one year appointment with my surgeon on Wed. Like I thought, the 110 didn't hold out from Monday. Weighed in at 111--no matter. It was a great appointment. Dr. W warned me to keep up my protein to around 80 grams a day. Labs not showing any problems at all in that area but he just wanted me to be sure that I was getting in that much daily. Says this is a ctitical time that many patients can get off track at the 12-18 mo. mark and wants to ward off any problems before they start. Dr. W did advise me to stop taking my Protonix to see how that goes. In addressing the diahrrea issue he is now having me take Colestid twice a day (a total of 4 mg a day), Also, said that my sugar intake may have some bearing on the problems I have been experiencing but to just be aware of it. Now for the best news--in a weird way. I do have an incisional hernia that he will be taking care of as well as a panniculectomy. What was funny is that we took the 1 year photo of me and joked about it being for the billboard (My surgical group has billboards around town with pics of before/after of their patients). When they took the pics of the hernia and panni I said "and these are NOT the ones for the billboard." Anyway, Dr. W feels that I don't need to lose any more weight and that there is no need to hold off on the hernia/panni surgery since I have met goal. His office will be submitting everything for the insurance approval but didn't feel there should be a problem because of the hernia. Obviously the pics they took of the panni made it look much worse than it probably does. Real close ups of old stretch marks (thanks kids!) look more like recent skin tears or tissue breaks. His nurses who were taking the pics sure know which way to best "feature" the areas in question. Nothing staged just not very flattering for insurances purposes. I think they were disappointed I didn't have a yeast infection going on but I've been baby powdering a lot this summer so I wouldn't get one. As we were finishing up, Dr. W said he understands that I am a great resource for the DS patients his office has had me talk to that are struggling. That made me feel best of all. IMHO, I think my positive attitude along the way with all that I struggled with has really impressed him and is why he is taking care of the panni along with the hernia. I really try to help anyone I can when it comes to this surgery (and with parents of autistic children, my other passion). Just wanted to share my good news with everyone. Everyone on this board has truly helped me in so many ways. Rhonda 225/111/110
Lovin2cu
on 7/23/05 11:29 pm - southbridge, MA
Hi Rhonda, Wow, you should be very very proud of yourself. Your positive attitude has certainly contributed to your great success. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the insurance comes through for the panni.. Again, great job! Lisa in Mass 360/283/164
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views