What is it about WLS???

deeno
on 7/19/05 2:42 am - Kokomo, IN
What is it about WLS that bonds us together? Are there any other surgeries where people who have had the surgery a year ago or more check in regulary to see how everyone is doing? I met two ladies when I had my RNY. They were both ~20 years older than me (and both about a foot and a half shorter than me, too!) but we were all having our surgeries within a day of each other. We met at our pre-op class and on-line in the early stages of WLS research. Anyhow, we all emailed each other for our one-year anniversary, and we're all doing well. We supported each other in recovery--we'd walk past each other's rooms and say "c'mon--get up and go for another walk" and we'd walk the halls together. I just can't imagine having Knee surgery, going through rehab with the same people 3 times a week for six weeks and "keeping in touch". The WLS surgery people only knew each other for a few days (literally) and we kept in touch. How cool is that? Not only that, but this fantastic site here. When I mention "knowing a bunch of people who've had WLS" I really feel like I know you guys. I tell my hubby about stuff I learn here from my "on-line friends" when we have conversations about WLS. I think it would be an interesting thing for some psychologist to study. I mean, we are a bunch of nuts, right? *wink* Have a good one! Diana
GailD
on 7/19/05 3:45 am - Racine, WI
Great post, Diana..and I totally agree! I think the "bond" we all feel after WLS is very unusual. I think part of it is because it's such an emotional change...as well as physical. I've made some really great friends since my surgery -- locally...and here on the July message board. Who else is going to understand what you're going through (you, at least, have your husband to talk to since he's gone through it, too!) I love that so many on this board are comfortable talking about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING...because chances are...someone else is going through the same thing! Take care, Gail D.
deeno
on 7/19/05 4:35 am - Kokomo, IN
You know, I couldn't (and wouldn't) have done this without hubby's example. He hasn't been perfect by any means, but he's made great prgress and he's reached his goal. He still has a sweet tooth, he still eats some of the stuff he shouldn't, and he still misjudges the amount of food he should eat (we both laugh when one of us eats too much, the other always says "saw that one coming"). But, he always takes his vitamins, makes sure he gets his protein in, and he attends/runs our local support group. I agree with you on the emotional part of this surgery. Food in general has many emotional links. Plus, body image does, too. Diana
IrishIze
on 7/19/05 4:54 am - NJ
I think part of the reason is that it's not just a surgery, it's a life changing event. Our lives will never be the same as it was prior to the surgery (hopefully) and its so much nicer to travel the path with others than to do it alone. I for one would have been lost without the support of my July babies. I sure hope we can stay together for a long time..... Hugs, Nancy 277/160/150
jcordell
on 7/19/05 11:45 am - TX
Don't know what bonds us together...I'm just happy that it has. I don't attend local support group meetings, and I'm pretty bad about following up with my doc, BUT, I always read/post/share here with my July Siblings...I couldn't have done it without the support of you all! Glad to be here, and glad you're all here too! :P Jeff -119
MargaretD
on 7/20/05 7:44 am - Nashville, TN
I know I don't post a lot, but I read every word that everyone says on this July board and feel as if I know you all very well. I am very happy to be able to learn from all our experiences. I do go to the local support group every other month, but I feel I learn more from y'all than I do there. I feel more support here. It is kind of strange, huh? Well, three cheers for OH.com and the July 2004 board!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Margaret 238/130/125
modeanryan
on 7/21/05 9:48 am - Duluth, GA
It's true Diana... I have about 30-40 friends now locally from the Georgia board that I did not have a year ago. Of those, at LEAST 10 are very close, "will never lose touch with" friends. I just attended a wedding this weekend...the marriage of 2 WLS-ers that met pre-op at their support group. Several of us drove about 3 hrs to get to the wedding! It's utterly amazing and absolutely wonderful. I thank you all for accepting me into the July '04 group... Tami
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views