B12 deficency...questions

on my W.
on 6/29/05 8:35 pm - Canada
Hi Folks, Well my bloodwork just came back and the doctor said that my B12 was seriously low. I go for my first shot today. I have been quite tired and have had headaches. What can anyone tell me about this? Is anyone else taking B12 and how often do you require it. There was some suggestion that this could be a longterm requirement. Thanks so much. Karen
IrishIze
on 6/29/05 10:12 pm - NJ
I take a sublingual B-12 every day. My levels have always been good. I assume I'll be taking it forever.... Hope things work out. How did everything else come out with your bloodwork? Hugs, Nancy -116
Julie 22
on 6/29/05 10:52 pm - NC
Hi Karen. My mother gives me the B12 shot once a month. It is my understanding also that it is for life. My mother has not had WLS, but has many health problems & she takes a B12 shot also. She said that it helps her feel so much better & not as tired. I hope they get yours back to normal real soon. Take care, Julie 5'3" 248/142/135 -106
Leslie H.
on 6/30/05 1:40 am - Round Rock, TX
Hi, Karen! My surgeon said that the portion of the small intestine where B12 is absorbed was bypassed, so we can no longer absorb any B12 at all through our diets or by taking it orally. So we have to take a sublingual B12 every day or a shot once a month for the rest of our lives. If we don't, we'll develop a severe deficiency that can result in irreversible nerve damage. Fatigue and headaches are symptoms of a deficiency. I always feel a bit more energetic after a monthly injection. I've been on B12 supplements from the beginning. I'm very surprised that your doc let a deficiency develop before giving you shots! If there is anyone else out there reading this who is not taking sublingual B12 or monthly shots after RNY, please ask your doc about it ASAP! I've read some scary articles about B12 deficiency. BTW, I found B12 sublingual dots at Wal-Mart for about $3.00 (USD) for a bottle of 200. That's more than half a year's worth if you take one a day--about a penny apiece. Pretty affordable! Good luck! Be aggressive with your doc about getting your B12 level back up as quickly as possible. Retest often to see if it's coming up. Maybe you can take sublinguals and shots for awhile until you start feeling better. (BTW, I'm not a medical professional, and I've never experienced a B12 deficiency. But my surgeon's emphasis on B12 made me go out and educate myself on the subject. We just can't overlook it.) ---- Leslie -111
Leslie H.
on 6/30/05 1:53 am - Round Rock, TX
Here's a link to a page with more info on B12 deficiency: http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com/B12-Malabsorption-Illness.html
deeno
on 6/30/05 2:43 am - Kokomo, IN
Hubby and I do shots of B12--he shoots me, and I shoot him. We do this every 3-4 weeks whether we feel like we need it or not. This is something we will do for the rest of our lives. Hubby started out on sublinguals a few years ago, but they weren't as effective. I've always done the shot--needles don't bother me, and I'd rater deal with it once a month instead of every day (my doc suggested the sublinguals 2 x's a week, but I know others that take it every day). The sublinguals have a cherry taste, and aren't bad. Diana
Deejay
on 6/30/05 5:05 am - Sparks, NV
I agree with Leslie 100%! I also do a monthly b-12 injection forever. Good luck! Deejay
LeighannK
on 7/2/05 7:44 am - York, PA
I was taking a b12 pill every day for the first 6 months after sugery but then my dr. got my lab results back and my b12 level was above normal! So he said I could go to taking a b12 pill every other day so that's what I do now. BTW, I'm just over here snooping from the November board. Leighann Lap RNY 11.5.04 275/165/130
emmalousmom
on 7/2/05 1:44 pm - Wawa, Canada
I'm also from canada, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TAKING B12 ALL ALONG?? We as post op rny's don't absorb all the b12 we use to because the first part of our intestines is gone and we only have a small bit of stomach left, you have to take b12 on a regular basis, I do a shot every 2 weeks, your level should be between 800-1000, don't listen to the doc if he says over 200 is ok, take the shot and also go get the b12 sublingual tabs, they go under your tongue and take one every day, don't get the tablets you swallow, we don't absorb them. This can lead to very severe neurological damage. I can't believe your doctor didn't have you on it already, are you taking a good multivitamin twice a day, are you taking calcium citrate (at least 1000-1500mg per day), if you are still having your period, you should be taking iron, if you are taking iron, take vitamin C with it. Louise
MarinaS
on 7/6/05 3:27 pm - Small Town, WA
I drastically malabsorb and am deficient in iron (receiving infusions plus taking an iron ****tail), B12 (giving myself injections as I did before WLS now twice a month), B1 (taking B plus injections weekly), Protein (4 protein drinks a day) and calicum ( taking calcium citrate plus UpCal D in each protein drink), along with six multivitamins, Dry E, Dry A and D, and magneisum. The injections help me to absorb my calcium better and give me energy.
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views