ER Visit--Please Read

lsutiger80
on 6/21/05 11:48 am - Metairie, LA
This is a bit of a long post but I felt it was important to all of us. Last night I had to be taken to the ER. Let me start from the beginning: My youngest son, Seth, is autistic and is on Seroquel and Tenex to help with some of his behavioral and psychological issues. He is 10 y.o. and takes 1600 mg of Seroquel daily along with 3 mg. of Tenex. Last night I was going to give him his bedtime dose (800 mg. Seroquel/1 mg. Tenex) when I got distracted with something. I had the meds in my hand along with a bottle of water for Seth to take his meds. I also take some of my vitamins along with my Protonix at night. Anyway, without thinking I took Seth's meds. I knew right after I did it I had screwed up. I went to the bathroom and tried to stick my finger down my throat to try and throw up. Only got phelgm with doing that. I wasn't too worried since I knew that Seth takes this everyday for the last couple of years. My oldest son wanted me to drive him to pick up a friend so we left. As I was driving I knew the meds were starting to take effect. I pulled over and let Andrew drive (he has a permit). By the time we got back home I could hardly get out of the van. I needed assistance. Things got much worse. I was so out of it I didn't know what I was saying or doing. If you've ever encountered a mean a$$ drunk, then you know what I am talking about. I felt like I was jumping out of my skin. I had a choking, smothering feeling. I wouldn't let anyone near me or put a hand on me. This was a very horrific scene. I was combative and extremely profane--even to my children. Very much NOT me! Bruce (my fiance') called poison control and they recommended he take me to the hospital. My heart was racing and felt like it was coming out of my chest. I tried to get out of the car twice on our way to the hospital. I have no recollection of most of the events of last night. I apparently slapped Bruce twice on the way to the hospital when he was trying to prevent me from getting out of the van. Once at the ER, my speech was so slurred and I was so incoherent they could hardly understand what I was trying to tell them. I did have enough sense to have the RX bottles with me. My big concern was that they would try to pump my stomach and I would not able to communicate the changes in my anatomy. Thank goodness I had a DS because this really could have been much worse it I had a pouch to contend with and they would have needed to pump my stomach or make me drink liquid charcoal. Bruce told them I had DS surgery last year but as you can well imagine, they had no idea what that meant. Bruce did his best to explain but he really couldn't. As it turned out, they started me on a saline IV and gave me some meds to take. I truly couldn't tell you what the capsules were. We were at the hospital from 10pm to 4 am. It was a long night for everyone. I have felt "hungover" all day. I came to the realization that I needed to put together a folder about my medical condition and particularly the DS surgery diagram. I hope to never be in the position/condition I was in last night and things could have been much worse. But, I now am working on putting together a packet that my loved ones can give to any medical personnel should I become incapacitated and cannot communicate. Bruce felt realy bad that he wasn't able to let the ER docs know more about what my anatomical changes were. He was a bit out of sorts himself because he was so worried. Bottom line, is that I wouldn't want to put my family in the position they were in last night. If something would have gone terribly wrong, I wouldn't want them to think it was because of them not advising the doctors of my altered anatomy. While Bruce was trying to explain things I kept getting more and more upset and was making no sense. Please EVERYONE--put together a packet of information about your surgery, medications you are taking, and any other important information a doctor may need to know should you be unable to communicate. I have apologized profusely to Bruce and my children. This could have been much worse but luckily it has served as a big wake up call to get things in order and be prepared. Rhonda
Danelle72
on 6/21/05 2:39 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Rhonda, I am so sorry this happend to you. That had to be so scary. Thanks for sharing tho. I will have to do that. That is very good advice. I am glad that you are better and that nothing worse happend to you. Not that that wasn't bad or anything. Well you get better and don't beat yourself up over this. We don't know until something happens and we learn from them. Take care Luv Danelle
bunnymorris
on 6/21/05 3:19 pm - Georgetown, TX
RNY on 07/22/04 with
Good Advice! I often have thought of this. I do carry my gastric bypass card in my wallet but the folder is great for family. Sorry you had such a terrible time. Sounds like you have a wonderful family to care for you. Take care and I bet you will be double checking those meds now! Cheers, Bunny -115
ileanak
on 6/21/05 10:06 pm - San Antonio, TX
Thank you for sharing your horrific story. You are very right, carrying a packet/information sheet with us is a very good idea. Ileana
IrishIze
on 6/22/05 1:27 am - NJ
Wow, Rhonda, what an incredible story! Thanks so much for sharing it with us - I'm going to start on my folder today and also make one for my parents to hold on to. Sorry you went through that, and I hope you feel better soon.... Hugs, Nancy -117
Monna W.
on 6/22/05 1:50 am - Susanville, CA
Yes, it can be scarey. Please sign up with MedicAlert and wear a braclet or pendant with the pertininet info. My surgeon wouldn't let me out of the hospital until he knew I had made arrangements--I have had a medical bracelet for years due to my other health problems. It is a small cost and they keep all of your information on a computer and ER personnel are supposed to call before treatment of any kind. Monna
SpyderS
on 6/22/05 3:43 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Wow, I'm so glad you are ok Rhonda. I suggest to everyone that they obtain a copy of their surgery report from the surgeon who did you procedure. It is the LAW that they release a copy to you. It has exactly what they did, and the results. I carry two copies of this with me at all times, and I have a copies at work, home and in my cars. It contains vital information --- as I know you realized last night. Sad thing is though, many hospitial workers get that familiar out-to-lunch look on their faces when you say you have WLS. Uh oh, is the only thing that comes to mind when I see that. Hope you feel better soon. Spyder
deeno
on 6/30/05 2:39 am - Kokomo, IN
When I was 270 pounds I took 25 mg of seroquel to sleep. Man o man, did I sleep. I was still out of it 16 hours later. Never took the stuff again. Bet you felt awful. Glad you are OK now. Diana
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1113 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views