I'm Jeff and I'm an alcoholic.

IrishIze
on 6/10/05 5:36 am - NJ
Jeff, I understand - I am an alcoholic too. By the grace of God, I have been clean and sober since 1982. I am an addictive personality and it seems my life has been a struggle to overcome one thing or another. One day at a time - one minute at a time if necessary. Keep doing what you're supposed to be doing. Surround yourself with people who are clean and sober and get phone numbers from the old-timers. If it gets too tough, call one of those people. You can ALWAYS email me and I'll be there for you. All of those 'one days' will soon be a week, then a month, then before you know it, a year. With each passing day, try and appreciate your life as a sober person. No more wondering what you did last night, feeling like a fool, or wanting to avoid people because you've embarassed yourself. You can do it, and you are soooo worth it. Luv ya!! Hugs, Nancy -113
jcordell
on 6/16/05 5:18 am - TX
Nancy, as always, you've put a smile on my face. Your compassion and understanding means so much. Congrats on your 23 years sobriety! It is minute by minute for now...I am working toward hour by hour, and eventually day by day. I've been to AA 7 times in as many days, and that has helped, as well as the support of all my wonderful July sisters! Take good care... Jeff Clean and sober 11 days
SeeMeNow
on 6/10/05 6:31 am - Amery, WI
Hi Jeff, You have made the very first step to recovery. Congratulations! While I do not have a problem with alcohol, I do have one with gambling. I think there are many, many of us who are in your shoes. You are not alone by any means and we all wish to help you in any way we can. We love you and care about you. Barb (Still battling my addiction)
jcordell
on 6/16/05 5:20 am - TX
Barb, my thoughts and prayers are with you as you battle your addiction. Thank you for the encouragement and support. Hang in there, one day at a time. Jeff Clean and sober 11 days
(deactivated member)
on 6/10/05 7:13 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I think that it's terrific that you can finally admit that you have a problem with alcohol. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, and you've already taken the next step by getting help. I'm so proud of you! My dad was an alcoholic my entire life, although he was in complete denial about it. His alcoholism cost him his marriage and a close relationship with his daughters (we still talk to him and invite him for holidays because he's our dad, but we pretty much try to avoid him otherwise). He FINALLY realized he had a problem when his personal trainer (she was a hot little thing...easily able to convince him that alcohol is bad) told him that he should avoid alcohol for maximum health. He hasn't had any alcohol since my surgery, not even a beer. He's lost a lot of weight because of that, too. ANYWAY...so I know where you're coming from...I've been on the "receiving" end of an alcoholic. It's absolutely awesome that you are taking control. That is a very brave thing to do. Hang in there! Pamela -102 and stuck
jcordell
on 6/16/05 5:22 am - TX
Thanks for sharing, Pamela. Congrats to your dad as well. I appreciate all of the words of support. OH, and I noticed the scale gave you a little present recently! That's awesome! Keep it up! Jeff Clean and sober 11 days
GailD
on 6/10/05 7:39 am - Racine, WI
Hi Jeff, I am so proud of you for sharing this with us -- I'm sure it wasn't easy. Now you know that you'll get total support from this group -- it doesn't matter to us that you are an alcoholic...but it does matter to us that you stay healthy. You've already made one GIANT step forward with your weight loss...now you need to beat this addiction...and you've already taken control. Hey! I can relate to your problem with "moderation"...I've NEVER been able to use "moderation" when it came to food! Like they say in AA "One Day At A Time". You'll be a success,Jeff, because YOU are worth it! Gail D. -108
jcordell
on 6/16/05 5:24 am - TX
Gail, your kind words mean so much. And the outpouring of support I've received has been awesome. I love all of you so much! I'm working toward one day at a time...for now, minute by minute is getting me by. Take good care. Jeff Clean and sober 11 days
bugsmom
on 6/10/05 8:20 am - In Mom's House, CA
Congratulations. You're one step ahead of me. I'm pretty sure I'm an alcoholic and have been struggling for several months now to wrap my brain around that reality so that I can force myself to accept it and do something about it. I'm not there yet. I'm still at that place where every morning you swear to yourself that you're not going to drink that evening and then when night time rolls around you find yourself unable to resist and making all kinds of excuses as to why you deserve a drink or two or three. I think I've replaced my former food addiction with alcohol. I've been drinking seriously, except for the 6 months or so that I abstained following my surgery, for about 4 years now. Anyway, good for you taking charge of your life and your future. I wish you the very best. Merritt
jcordell
on 6/16/05 5:32 am - TX
Merritt, I understand how you feel. It took me getting arrested last month to finally admit that I had a problem, though I'd had numerous opportunities in the past (bar fights, black outs, you name it). I've been drinking since 14, heavily since 23, save the 6 weeks I quit post-op. When you're ready, go to an AA meeting...you'll be uplifted by the stories of those who are staying sober, one day at a time. I'm here for you if you ever need to talk or want more info. Hang in there, and when you're ready, please contact your local AA. Jeff Clean and sober 11 days
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views