DORKY Question

Towanda Strong3
on 6/7/05 9:06 pm - Somewhere in, CT
Hi July '04 folks! I have a question that I always ask people on their birthdays... "What do you know this year that you did not know a year ago?" So as we all approach our 1 yr anniversary of our July '04 surgeries, I ask you... What have you "gained" in knowledge since having surgery? Me? I have learned more than I expected. 1. To never give up...there is ALWAYS hope and possibility. (even when I don't see it) 2. That I have choices. 3. That I am not alone, nor unique. 4. That I can change and free myself from the burdens of Morbid Obesity. 5. That I can learn new ways of thinking. (who knew?) 6. That I can take care of myself and the world will not fall apart. 7. That I can be flexible...not so rigid in my thoughts. So many other things...need to really ponder over it. But last AND NEVER least, I have met some of the most wonderful people along this journey of recovery. So...as you approach that "golden" year marker... A birthday of sorts... How about you? What has changed, what do you know now, that you did not pre op? Be well... Towanda
ileanak
on 6/7/05 10:03 pm - San Antonio, TX
Not a dorky question in the least. In fact, I think it is a wonderful question, we should all take time to answer. For me, this past year has seen so many changes. The surgery, the weight loss, a divorce, a move, a house fire, and a new beau. No complaints, I am on a terrific ride! So, what have I learned? 1. I can do anything I put my mind to. 2. I am not alone, or unique in my experiences, but I am special 3. Life is an adventure, so go after everything you want. If you don't get it, at least you can say you went for it. 4. Opportunities are a dime a dozen if you open your eyes and see them. 5. Love those around you like it is the last time you will see them. Our surgery day could have been it, so cherish every moment. 6. It doesn't matter what you think of me.... the only thing that matters is what I think of me. Good luck to all of us on our up and coming 1st birthday (July babies)~ Ileana
deeno
on 6/8/05 12:08 am - Kokomo, IN
I have learned that I am a sexy, attractive woman--always was--but now, others can actually see it. I have learned that my family is proud of me, and proud of what I've accomplished. I have learned that inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated by a piece of chocolate. I am learning that it is OK to try to achieve a goal, and that it isn't the end of the world if you don't meet that goal, as long as you don't give up. I have learned that I actually like myself. Good post, Towanda. Diana
Danelle72
on 6/8/05 12:54 am - Las Vegas, NV
Great post Towanda!!! The most important thing I have learned it to love my self!!! I have learned self control. I have learned to trust friends on this board. I have learned that life is great and to have as much fun as posible. I have also learned there are alot more people out there just like me!!! Take care everyone and Congrats on your success. Keep up the great work. Luv you guys. Danelle
armcandy
on 6/8/05 2:10 am - my own world, MD
Thanks for this post.........made me think! I now know that I have always set my sights on things I thought I could reach not what I truly deserved! (I would settle because I thought I had to) I am still learning the feeling of confidence when I walk into a room. ( I no longer feel like "HEEERES the FAT GIRL") I know now that although I used to dream and wish for the days that I could wear a 16 again, that I don't want to be a 16 either! Now that I've gotten there, I don't wanna be here. I want to go lower!! I know I can get on a ride with my children and not have to be embarrassed because the bar can't fit accross my chest/stomach and I have to get off and make my child miss the ride, because they can't ride alone. (One of the worst moments in my life, I felt humiliated and sorry for letting my daughter down) I know that you can do anything if you just believe in yourself!! I know that I should have had this surgery along time ago, because I have wasted too much time being fat and not living life!!! Hats of to all of us! JULY BABIES RULE!!! I am truly a July baby, my wls b day is 7/7 and my 35th b day is 7/31. Michelle
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/05 12:05 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
My birthday is 7/29! Hence the name "July Butterfly."
Monna W.
on 6/8/05 7:19 am - Susanville, CA
Great idea and post. How to succinctly state what I have learned in the past year? 1. I learned how miserable my life actually was pre-wls. 2. I've learned how it feels to be really alive. 3. ______what a wonderful family I have. 4. ______that I am truely special. 5. ______that hard work can be a joy. 6. ______that I postponed too many things because I was obese. 7. ______that I have great friends. 8. ______that people I have never met care what happens to me and can be happy for my successes and feel my pain. I could actually go on for days. This surgery has taught me so much about myself and those around me that I was oblivious to befor wls. I have gained new confidence in my personal life (always had it professionally) and gained a terrific support group that feels like family. Monna 389/235 (finally)/150
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/05 12:13 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I don't know that I have really learned anything...at least, not the way the rest of you seem to have. But then, with 100 lbs yet to lose, I am STILL morbidly obese. I still have my issues with food, with my body-image, with confidence. I DID learn that I can function as a normal adult, despite still weighing 250lbs. I can fit in a go-kart, fit into the rides at theme parks, am under the weight limit for water-slides, easily slide into a booth at a restaurant or a seat at the movies, can walk up and down hills without keeling over, and wear clothes from Walmart. Unfortunately, even though I have been able to do all that, I still have my "fat person mentality" and panic every time I find myself in one of those situations. Maybe in my second year out, I'll learn how to deal with that... Pamela 352/250/150
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views