11 months and 35 years

Monna W.
on 6/6/05 11:12 am - Susanville, CA
Today is doubly special for me--it is our 35th wedding anniversary and my 11 month mark for my surgery. I have lost a total of 153 lbs. and 65 inches overall. I still have 86 lbs. to go to my goal, but if I am to stop here, I will never regret having had the surgery. If the weight comes off I will be delighted, but I have decided not to stress about it all. I can fit in a booth at restruants, play with my grandchildren, walk all over town, walk up hills, stopped using supplemental oxygen, decreased and eliminated several of my medications, clean my own house, and so many other things that I could not do a year ago. My life is wonderful. My wonderful daughter made us a cake for our anniversary--angel food cake with strawberry Bavarian cream filling. The cake is from scratch--12 egg whites--and made with Splenda. The filling used sugar-free gelatin and Splenda. It is delicious and it certainly took her a long time. She had a terrible time separating the eggs without getting a speck of yellow in the whites. Weight-wise, I lost only 4 lbs. all month, but 1 inch from my hips and 1 1/2 inches from my waist. I am looking forward to our vacation because I will feel like doing things rather than just staying in my room. Thanks to all of you for your wonderful support and encouragement. Monna 389/236/150
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/05 11:51 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
Just one more month to go, and we'll be celebrating our birthdays You're doing terrific! Although I would be disappointed if I don't lose any more weight, I would be satisfied with my quality of life. I am able to do things that I haven't been able to do in a long time. Yesterday, for example, I went to Six Flags and not only could I fit on all the rides that I wanted to ride (and I was really scared I wouldn't fit!), but I was also able to walk around the park without resting...up and down hills...in 95 degree heat. That amazes me...and even though I want to be at a healthy BMI, at least I now know that I am functional and can participate in the things people my age do. With one month left to go to reach a year out, I am starting to worry that I will gain everything back, let alone never lose much more. My food issues are back in full force, and my exercise routine has been slipping lately. I started today (for about the millionth time) my plan for getting back on track. I want to beat this illness, not let obesity ruin the next 30 years as it has ruined my first 30 years. Right now, I'm so full of thoughts and I really need to get them all written down. Guess it's time to start a daily journal...to help me work through things. Or maybe I need a shrink. I'm happy, but I want to be happier...and I'm tired of fighting the fat, but I know I have to. And I could go on and one...I guess I pretty much hijacked your post... Congrats on your anniversary...and your ANNIVERSARY! 35 years is a long time to be married...something that definitely needs to be commended. Pamela 352/250/150
Monna W.
on 6/7/05 1:24 am - Susanville, CA
Pamela, I admire you so much. You are really working hard. I'm so thankful we have this place where we can share our triumphs, challenges, and in general vent. Our support group is very small and they don't really offer much support--not like this board. You have done an awesome job!! I know you have challenges and you are still so young. I have spent 60 years as an obese person. Now is the greatest time of my life. Thanks for your compliments. Hang in there. I read all of your posts even if I don't always respond. You are in my thoughts. Monna
ileanak
on 6/6/05 9:40 pm - San Antonio, TX
Monna, I know many of your words ring true with so many of us. What we have gained from the weightloss far surpasses the actual pounds. So many of us never thought we would see the kind of physical and emotional transformation that has happened. I am so happy and proud of you as I am of all of us yearlings (almost). And a BIG congratulations on your anniversary! 35 years is wonderful! And I am sure more than one of us on this board would love that recipe Good luck! Ileana 282/178/150
Monna W.
on 6/7/05 1:28 am - Susanville, CA
Iliana, Thanks for your compliments. You are doing a freat job and look so wonderful. Our secret of a long marriage is lots of fights, taking separate vacations occassionally, and even living apart on occassion (he was in the Navy and gone for extended periods at a time). Any relationship with the opposite sex takes commitment and hard work, but it has been worth it. My husband is a great guy and our 2 children have grown into wonderful aduts and parents. Monna
Danelle72
on 6/7/05 12:25 am - Las Vegas, NV
Monna, Congrats on your success and all your happiness! This surgery was the greatest and it gave us all our life back in so many different ways. You are doing an awslome job. Keep up the great work and again congrats. You are amazing. Luv Danelle
Monna W.
on 6/7/05 1:32 am - Susanville, CA
Danelle, Thanks for your kind words. This has been an exciting 11 months with triumphs and a few disappointments. We should all have a big party to celebrate our birthdays. Wish we could all get together. I live so far (well, there is the Mom of Triplets--can't think of her neme) who ilives in Sparks which is 90 miles from me) from July siblings. You look great. Monna
deeno
on 6/7/05 2:14 am - Kokomo, IN
MMmmmmm that cake sounds delicious! 35 years is certainly an inspiration to all of us. My husband and I will celebrate our nine year anniversary in July (1 week after my 1 year RNY anniversary). You know, one of the things that I love doing since my weight loss is comfortbaly crossing my legs. I do it all the time, just because I can. It's funny how little things (like fitting into a restaurant booth) can be so important to us. Let's all never forget the little things, and how cool they make us feel to be able to do them. Great post, Monna, and CONGRATS!! Diana
Monna W.
on 6/8/05 7:25 am - Susanville, CA
Diana, Crossing the legs--I forgot that one. I did that at my last doctor's visit (not my surgeon, but my pulmonologist) and I got so excited I hugged and kisses my doctor. Thank goodness he was not offended. Also I can now lower the arm rest on my car seat and actually use it and not feel uncomfortable. I had a call earlier in the week from th pulmonologist's nurse (adjusting my coumadin dosage) and she said that the doctor told her how great I looked--she was not in the office at my last visit. I feel so great, but in October I have to have all my pulmonary funtion test again and an echocardiogram to see if I really am in the shape I feel I am. Thanks for your kind words, and early happy anniversary. Monna
IrishIze
on 6/7/05 4:10 am - NJ
Monna, my friend, congratulations on your wedding anniversary and 11 successful months since your WLS!! Can you believe it's already been 11 months! It seems like just yesterday!!! I look at myself in the mirror, or take a walk without huffing and puffing, and buy clothes in the regular department, and the changes in me nearly brings me to tears (of joy, of course!!) You have been a wonderful example here, and I really admire you!! Hugs, Nancy -113
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views