11 months post-op (long)

lsutiger80
on 6/6/05 4:55 am - Metairie, LA
Dear OH Friends, I will be 11 months post-op tomorrow. I just thought I would drop a note to let everyone know how I am doing so far. Things have been going well. I weighed 118 this morning. That's down 107 lbs from my surgery day weight of 225. My "ideal weight" according to the "charts" is suppose to be 118 (which I hit at 10 months out--so I've been on a plateau this past month--no big deal). Although my surgeon originally gave me a goal weight of 110, I feel pretty comfortable where I am at now. Wouldn't mind making the 110 goal by my one year but don't feel stressed or obsessed if I don't. Kinda just want to stay under 120 lbs as my maintenance goal. I have some minor issues that I continue to address but nothing that makes me regret my decision to have the DS. My labs have been great and I will post my 1 yr post-op results next month. I have found that my appetite has definitely increased as compared to the first 6-9 months post-op. I do continue to deal with problems that are probably more related to my ulcers than anything else. I presently have at least one, rather large, incisional hernia on my left side. This is where the infection was that had to be treated and cared for by home health care until Christmas and my feeding tube. If I have any type of reconstructive abdominal surgery, the hernia issue may be a blessing in disguise. A plastic surgeon at a recent support group meeting recommends waiting until 2 years post-op from WLS before having any procedures done. So I guess I will wait another year to investigate the possibility of a tummy tuck (barring any problems from the hernia before then). I still have a few dumping/foaming incidents but they are only about once or twice a month at most and are manageable. I do have to limit my intake on rice, pasta, bread. I seem to be a bit sensitive to dense meats but do great with seafoods (which I prefer anyway). I've finally started exercising regularly (about 7 weeks now). I usually do a water aerobics class, 60 mins. on treadmill, and either a yoga or pilates basic class. I still don't enjoy any of it but I know I have to do it. The water aerobics class is not so bad but you can have it with the treadmill. I guess I mostly resent the time it takes out of my day to exercise. Now that the kids aren't in school for the summer, it's a bit more manageable. I hope to some day not dread the exercise thing like I do. All in all, life is good. My surgeon's office has had me speak to a few of their recent DS patients that are struggling. I've enjoyed doing that since I can certainly identify where they are coming from. I read the message board daily, even if it's just lurking. I always appreciate the honesty, support and information I get from everyone's posts--especially--Diana, Melissa Mermaid, Amanda S,--just to name a few. But, everyone that posts either to ask a question, answer a question, make an observation adds value to this forum and I appreciate it. Rhonda DS on 7/7/04 225/118/110
IrishIze
on 6/6/05 11:23 pm - NJ
All in all, it sounds like you're doing really great. I think we all have our little issues and quirks from the surgery, but on the whole I don't think there's anyone on the July board *****grets their decision (is there??). I have good times and bad. Right now I'm in a good frame of mind - active, and the food is not calling to me. It's easy for me to resist most of the times. I do have times that I am insatiable and unable to fill the hunger hole - even though I know most of it is in my head. This is a long road we have chosen, and I really am trying to see it as a learning experience. I have to learn how to live without constantly shoveling food into my face. No more lying around in front of the TV and noshing ~ I try and keep busy as much as possible. As my dear sister, Stacy says, NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES. Stay well!! Hugs, Nancy -113
deeno
on 6/7/05 2:23 am - Kokomo, IN
Ugh! I know what you mean about exercise! I don't like doing the tredmill, or other forms of what I call "monotonus movements". I do like walking outside, weather permitting, and I really should do it more often. My favorite form of exercise is playing sports--it keeps me engaged and I want to keep playing. Plus, when I'm on a team, then other people rely on me to show up. Maybe to help motivate you, you could have an exercise team that depends on each other to show up? Maybe an exercise team with a goal in mind? Years ago, back when Nutrisystem had offices that you went to for food and support (kind of like Jenny Craig), they made up this weight loss bingo thing that was motivating. When you got a Bingo, you got a prize. You could set up a Bingo card for you and your swimming/gym buddies. So, if you went to the gym 3 days during one week, you could but a bean on your card. Or, if you did the tredmill for 10 minutes longer than your average workout, you could cover another spot. Have the reward be something like a pedicure--have all of the participants chip in $5.00, and the winner gets the prize. Might help to motivate your workouts. Gosh....I should really take my own advice! Diana
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views