Nutrition stats

Shrinking-Violet
on 5/24/05 9:29 am - Maricopa, AZ
Hi July babies: I'm curious as to what each of us are doing now at 10 mos. out, as far as daily calories, carbs, fats, protein, etc. Please share your stats. For those of you that will say "I don't count calories (or carbs, or whatever)", you might still have an IDEA of how much you are intaking in each category right? ;) Me... (approx.) Calories: 800 Fat: 30 Carb: 30 (or less) Protein: 70 I have tried tweaking those categories in all different ways and find that I do not lose (but actually will gain) if I go over 800 calories a day! I find this hard to believe as 800 calories doesn't seem like much!!! I often feel like I have to practically starve myself in order to lose (or even to maintain). Anyone else like this? I'm very suspicious that it might have to do with having a really screwed up metabolism. Maybe this is why I have to eat so little to not gain and others can eat 1200 calories a day and still lose?!?! It SUCKS! ;p -Angela 229/144/134 lap RNY 07/28/04 arm lift 06/14/05 (self-pay) panni 08/25/05 (insurance approved me!!!)
T R.
on 5/24/05 9:03 pm
First off, you look great!! After reading your post, I have a suggestion. Why not try to use The South Beach Diet? It will help you get on track with your carbs. Sometimes when I stall out I go back to basics. The South Beach Diet allows some carbs but educates you which ones are a better choice. Don't worry, we all have carb troubles. Oh, and try not to be hard on yourself when you do have a carb~attack, we have beat ourselves up for so long, seems like it wouldn't be fair to do it now after all we have been through since surgery. Take care Tami 275/175/140 100 lbs down ~ 40 lbs 2 go!!
IrishIze
on 5/24/05 10:24 pm - NJ
Hi Angela - I'm in EXACTLY the same boat as you. I have to stay below 800 calories in order to lose. I try and stay at around 800 calories 25 fat, under 35 carbs, and over 70 protein. It's not easy as you well know. I sometimes find I go all day not eating so that I don't go over, and only feel comfortable eating at night when I know there are only a few hours left. I know this isn't good. I'm going for my checkup with my surgeon this morning and I'm going to ask him about that. I'll let you know. Wow - you're approved for a panni so soon??? Lucky you!! Hugs from your starving sister... Nancy -112
Shrinking-Violet
on 5/26/05 4:08 am - Maricopa, AZ
Nanc: Let me know what your surgeon has to say. I have asked mine repeatedly about nutrition goals and how many carbs/calories, etc. that I should be intaking at whatever particular stage I'm at. He always says the same thing- that their program does not count that stuff, that as long as we're only eating 3 meals, no snacks, and protein first, the weight will come off. Hmppfh! I find that answer a little hard to live with. I personally have to eat more than 3 meals- more like 3 plus 2 small snacks just to keep my protein intake up. I keep my carbs and calories so low I can't believe I'm not losing faster- but yet when I go higher I GAIN! What the?!??!?! Heh! It's very frustrating to say the least. Thank goodness for Fitday- sometimes when I can see that I'm already close to or over my limits I'll skip dinner that night. -Angela 229/144/134 lap RNY 07/28/04 arms 06/14/05 TT 08/25/05
IrishIze
on 5/26/05 10:09 am - NJ
First off, let me say that I love my doc. He's just a great supportive guy and very sincere. I talked to him about having to really watch what I eat and that I thought 800 calories a day was a bit low. He said I should only be eating six small meals per day...that's it. No grazing, no big meals. He told me to increase my exercise. I told him that I walk on average 3 miles a day, and if I'm burning 250 calories doing that, then I'm living on 550 calories a day ~ and, barely losing any weight at all!!! He looked a little perplexed and gave me the muscle being heavier than fat speech, (whi*****identally, makes me roll my eyes ). I told him I wanted to lose 20 more pounds, and that when I tell my friends that, they tell me I'll be a stick. He said he was thinking much the same thing. I didn't quite know how to feel about that. He said all of my bloodwork came back excellent, my protein was way up there, iron, calcium, etc. all fantastic, so at least I'm doing well nutritionally. There has to be an answer. How can some people eat 1200 calories a day and lose and others eat 800 calories a day and not lose???? And the biggest question of all ~~~ HOW COME I'M NOT ONE OF THE PEOPLE LOSING EASILY?????? I'm thinking of doing a week of 1000 calories and seeing if that tweaks something. Maybe I'm not eating enough?? Who knows? But I need a break from the starvation diet, and I'm going to up the calories, while still staying low carb and low fat...maybe add a couple of protein drinks. That's my plan....I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, Ange - luv your new avatar pic - you look positively glamorous!!! Hugs, Nancy -112
emmalousmom
on 5/26/05 11:41 am - Wawa, Canada
Nancy, how tall are you, what is your BMI? Louise
IrishIze
on 5/26/05 9:58 pm - NJ
I'm 5'7" - 165 lbs. BMI = 25.8, so I'm still in the overweight category...
GailD
on 5/25/05 4:31 am - Racine, WI
Angela, This is an interesting post. I'm also curious to see what others are doing. I don't track my food everyday, but I always keep a running calorie "tally" in my head. I tend to eat the same thing day after day during the week...so I've got a pretty good idea where I am. Calories: 1000 - 1200 Carbs: less than 30 Fat: less than 25 Protein: Around 80 I'm still losing, but VERY s-l-o-w-l-y!! Only 6 pounds to goal -- although I might move my goal to 135 lbs. Maybe I need to cut back on my calories. I'm just afraid my body with go into starvation mode and I won't lose anything! I've been doing Jazzercise 3 X/week...and I walk about 2 miles 1X/week. Again...it'll be interesting to see what others are doing. Thanks for posting this! Gail D. 252/146/140 -106
GailD
on 5/25/05 4:35 am - Racine, WI
Angela, Was just looking at your profile and I see that you have two Westies! So do I! I have a male (Boomer) and a female (Zoe) -- they are my babies! You can see them in the background of my photo on my profile. Don't you LOVE those fiesty little terriers! Gail D.
Shrinking-Violet
on 5/26/05 4:15 am - Maricopa, AZ
Gail: Our westies are really my Mom's westies, but I consider them my own too ;) I used to live with her so I was around them all the time. Now that I got married and have long since moved out, I don't get to see them as often and I really miss their cute little faces and personalities! They are so loving, protective, and intuned to us humans. My Mom also has a boy & girl (Cody & Lacie). I love them to death! My Mom calls them my furry brother & sister and treats them better than she treats me! haha They are both extremely spoiled but such great pets. Terriers make wonderful companions, they are so smart & emotional. I see that you keep your babies fur on the longer side (the way they are intended to be). We clip our doggies because we live in Arizona and with the 110 degree heat they like to keep cool. They look so gorgeous when they come back from the groomers all brilliant white and trimmed And the groomers even put doggie Giorgio on Cody! LOL! I always tell him how handsome he is and how great he smells. He eats up the attention! He's really into hugs too. He gets depressed when we have to leave and he has to be alone. Lacie is a little bit more independent (she's younger)- but still real attached to my Mom. -Angela 229/144/134 lap RNY 07/28/04 arms 06/14/05 TT 08/25/05
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views