Wine drinkers?

AngelFlyingHappy
on 5/20/05 10:00 pm - Oxnard, CA
Hi all.... Since we are getting close to our one year anniversary, I was just curious......has anyone tried wine yet? For me, we had a no alcohol rule for the first year. But when I can finally have some, I'd like to have a glass but was just curious for those who can have it, do you tolerate it well? The funny thing is before surgery I was not a wine drinker, but boy it sounds good. LOL Any input would be great!! Thanks in advance.' Michelle -145
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/05 1:14 am - 'Burbs of St. Louis, MO
I'm not a wine drinker...not really even a drinker at all. But despite the one-year rule (ok, I know I don't follow the rules all the time), I've had a couple of alcoholic drinks. If there is food in my stomach, the alcohol makes me tired, but it's otherwise no problem (and we're talking Margaritas and Amaretto Sours here). But if I haven't eaten, after about three sips, I'm completely wasted (Margarita and a Long Island Iced Tea). I don't know how potent wine is, but if it's fairly mild compared to the drinks I've mentioned, you probably won't have much trouble. Just make sure you've eaten something, unless you're WANTING to become a drunken fool! Pamela -102
Kathi R.
on 5/21/05 4:06 am - WI
Hi Michelle I have had a glass or two of wine since surgery. No problems for me other than it takes less to get a buzz. Of course, wine is high sugar, so if you dump, which I don't, that might be a consideration when it come to taking a glass of wine. Go slow, and see how it goes is my recommendation. Kathi
Freve
on 5/21/05 4:09 am - Rio Rancho, NM
I've drank a few times, in fact I gave in to temptation at the company Christmas party and I was only 5 1/2 months out. I drink Amaretto Sours and Lemon Drop shots. I sub fresh lemon or sugar free sour mix with the Amaretto, and I sub splenda for the sugar with the Lemon Drops. The alcohol does not bother my pouch at all, BUT I get tipsy immediately! The Amaretto Sours wear off about 15 minutes after I drink one, the Lemon Drops, since they're shots of vodka last longer. The night I had the shots I took 5 shots in about a 2 hour period and I was completely and utterly drunk, like I'd had half the bottle! I swear I could still feel the effects the next morning! I haven't repeated that since, I stick to the sours since they wear off so quickly. I'm not a wine or beer drinker so I'm not sure what the effect of those are. Fran 298/179/150
Sherri_B
on 5/21/05 8:38 am - washington, MO
I was told no alchol for 6 months . and i have had a few margarittas and about 3 sips into them i feel a buzz . i have to pause and drink it slowly . but the buzz wears off fast ... not had wine so dont know about that one , but i do know i use to be able to have 2 or 3 on occasion out to dinner margarittas that is now i dont even finish my 1
ileanak
on 5/22/05 11:27 pm - San Antonio, TX
Let me tell you.... I don't drink much at all, but I have had a couple of galsses of wine and a couple of mixed drinks over the last 4 and a half months. I tolerated the mixed drinks fine (although I only drank about half, because it goes right to the head) but the wine?!?! OMG. the sugars mixed with alcohol made me pass out one night! Scarry, since I live alone. Story was that my old house burned to the ground (my ex and I are still friends) and I had spent about 8 hours with him... no food... when I finally got home around 9 that night, I took a hot bath and sipped on about 4 ounces of Merlot. I got out of the tub, walked to my high kitchen pass-through, where my laptop was to e-mail the news to my family (this is a house I built from top to bottom with my ex) Anywhoo~ next thing I can remember was feeling my chin hit the keyboard and I woke up on the floor. BAD mojo~ I have since had a glass after I ate dinner (after the 30 minutes of course) and still got really drunk..... I am Italian, so this no wine thing ain't easy!!!! good luck to you all, Ileana 282/180.2/150
GailD
on 5/23/05 3:27 am - Racine, WI
Hi Michelle, I have had wine several times. I haven't had any problems with getting tipsy sooner, but depending on the type of wine, sometimes it makes me dump (just the kind of dumping where you need to go to sleep -- it never makes me ...although I'm sure it would if I drank enough of it!) Seems like the cheaper stuff (White Zin) makes me dump more than something like Merlot or Pinot Grigio. I think we all react differently to alcohol. Just be sure you're in a "safe" place when you have your first drink! Gail D. -105
iowedad2
on 5/23/05 6:10 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/07/04 with
I was told no alcohol for at least a year too. I love wine - especially from Loudon Valley, TN - my FAVORITE! I saved a bottle of blackberry just for my 1 year anniversary. So I'm still waiting but my husband had a small glass of wine not too long ago and I decided to try some. I took two SIPS and was asleep withing minutes. I'm such a lush now. Thanks Jaime
-Lori-
on 5/26/05 7:40 am - Bay Area, CA
Wine has not been a problem for me. In fact, alcohol in general has not proven to be a problem ........................(that is until I find in ulcer in my stomach for not obeying the rules).
Most Active
Recent Topics
STILL Fighting
MrsJuly · 3 replies · 1114 views
Feeling great after 10 years
missang · 1 replies · 1035 views
HELLO, Hello, hello
JustHat · 3 replies · 1112 views
Old Habits
JustHat · 0 replies · 1179 views